Model X

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

2021 Model X Build Quality and my remorse

I am sure there are many who love their Tesla and have a lot of fun with it. My experience has been quite the opposite. We picked up a vehicle contact-free; so not many instructions were given on the dos and don'ts.

Within the first 24 hours, I noticed a hissing sound in the cabin and reached out to the dealer. They scheduled a visit kept the car for two days (got a rental loaner) and gave it back saying that the issue could not be reproduced. I took the car for my first wash and sure enough, there was a cabin leak - I suspect the same place where the air noise was coming from. I turn in my vehicle for diagnosis and they identify the leak - what they said would take two days is now taking more than a week. They must replace the entire windshield. In the meantime, I am stuck with a 2017 75 Model-S loaner that cannot drive on snow (I was unable to get out for two days). I have an SUV because of my driveway.

This is all on top of the console below the screen shaking, the front right passenger fender was popping out - I had to push it in, the front driver seat has a stain on the leather. For each one of these items, I am asked to schedule a separate visit. I did not notice many of these in the first two days - however, I keep noticing so many build issues with the car.

Although the major repairs are all covered under warranty, at this stage, I feel remorseful for having spent $100K on a 2021 Model X. It is inconvenient to keep having to visit the service station.

I contacted customer care, it redirected me to the local service station. I poured out my problems seeking a solution, they just told me they would contact the service manager and get back to me. No follow-ups yet. I do not feel my concerns are heard and addressed.

Am I the only one to face such issues or have others seen similar issues with their car? I truly wish that Tesla does something about their build issues.

Comments

• I purchased a 2020 X in November. I wouldn't go so far as to say I am remorseful but my concern is growing. We noticed wind noise on the falcon doors and our front windshield. It seems to be a sealant issue that can be easily fixed but taking it in for service is certainly inconvenient. I am also disappointed in the climate control as it doesn't seem to function as I would expect - I am constantly manually adjusting everything to get the windshield defrosted (though this could be related to the poor sealants).

I had scheduled a mobile service appointment for today but it was canceled by Tesla and rescheduled for two weeks from today. They said that there's a chance that I'd need to take it into a service center anyway.

I think you summed it up well - it doesn't feel great to spend $100k on this product.
  • Xand3_Owner, thank you for sharing your experience as well.
  • Yup. They aren't Lexus, Audi or Benz for build quality. In my experience they will get you sorted. I've had three Teslas, started with an early '13, low VIN - lots of initial sorting to do on all three. You will be happy once straightened out. You are right that this should not happen, but it does. Still, it is worth the time and when done, you will very likely conclude it is worth it.

In CR surveys owners say two things - (1) Teslas require more service than other cars in initial years, and (2) they are happier and more likely to purchase another Tesla than any other car manufacturer ever surveyed. Both conclusions can live in the same place.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave said:
    > Yup. They aren't Lexus, Audi or Benz for build quality. In my experience they will get you sorted. I've had three Teslas, started with an early '13, low VIN - lots of initial sorting to do on all three. You will be happy once straightened out. You are right that this should not happen, but it does. Still, it is worth the time and when done, you will very likely conclude it is worth it.
    >
    > In CR surveys owners say two things - (1) Teslas require more service than other cars in initial years, and (2) they are happier and more likely to purchase another Tesla than any other car manufacturer ever surveyed. Both conclusions can live in the same place.

Good perspective, have you noticed improvements over QC and service over the years at least?
  • Recently got an S and there is a scuff on the passenger side fender. They said it's cosmetic and nothing is going to be done about it. Smh!
  • > @lilbean said:
    > Recently got an S and there is a scuff on the passenger side fender. They said it's cosmetic and nothing is going to be done about it. Smh!

New vehicle ?
  • This is my second X and got it in Dec 2020. Lot worse build quality than my 2016 X. I wish I had kept 2016 X. Service has gone downhill as well. I will not be buying another Tesla.
  • Yes. Brand new.
  • Surprising! When I took delivery of MX in March 2020, the vehicle had been bumped in transit, and dirty on inside, luckily I noticed. The SC found me another car, same spec's in a few hours and I drove home that night. I was fortunate my X did not have any issues and had all alignment points and doors right one. I am a quality guy so I do have an eye for detail. I would put it maybe one notch better for fit and finish than my then new Lincoln MKX (2017). I honestly think the sales folks and delivery folks are not seasoned veterans to notice issues and fix before delivery. You pay what you get for help so each SC is different. That being said, I have had great sales, and Service advisors with great communications and never denying a fix. my opinion after 11 months.
  • @hilliard528_98661406, which service center do you use?
  • I took delivery from My. Kisko, NY they are the ones that found & swapped the car. For strictly service, I use Milford, CT; also had great luck at the Raleigh, SC in North Carolina when traveling down the coast. good luck.
  • Well you are not alone my friend. Tesla proudly says they know that their Model X build quality is bad and they harp like a parrot saying "Within the specs". To say the least the vehicle delivered to me should not have rolled off the production line quality check and inspection. My model X was delivered with major misalignments of doors, fenders, hood and bad paint job of hood and doors. My MX had to be sent back to factory for re-fit and still its no close to what a $110k Luxury Vehicle should be. Once you placed order and vehicle delivered, you see the "real" customer service experience from Tesla with rude behavior making you feel stupid with their answers of "with in the specs" and stonewalling you with no resolution and heavy handed behavior from representative to representative frustrating you and wasting your time. After all the retrofit and no driving due to covid for close to a year, when I drove my vehicle the other day while raining and stopped to drop off passenger in middle seat and on opening the falcon door water leaked into the cabin drenching the passenger and ruining the leather seats. So much for a vehicle branded "Luxury" with such poor build quality with cheap lining and plastic components. I am waiting for Tesla to address the leak into the cabin under warranty, so far they send me an estimate charging me for their crappy build.
  • It is very unfortunate to hear of your experience. My MX was delivered last March and has been a joy to own, including the service teams.
  • > @hilliard528_98661406 said:
    > I honestly think the sales folks and delivery folks are not seasoned veterans to notice issues and fix before delivery. You pay what you get for help so each SC is different. That being said, I have had great sales, and Service advisors with great communications and never denying a fix. my opinion after 11 months.

My delivery experience at Vancouver's (BC) delivery centre was excellent back in 2019. Like you I am a details person, and they noted the deficiency's I spotted during the delivery of my CPO MX 2016-11. These were rectified over the next month.
    I agree with your statement of each SC being different.
    I have heard that Raleigh SC is the best in the world, and have heard horror stories of SC's that were so rotten to the core that eventually their whole staff was fired and replaced.
    One thing I have learned recently is that there is a high "burn out" rate in Delivery Centre personal at some DC's.
    I have heard reports of good folks who have resigned from Tesla due to incredible amount of Over time they have to put in during the "end of quarter" delivery push.
    Instead of hiring more people to spread out the work load, they pile on the over time to the point where an employee's quality of life is vastly diminished.
    Toyota became No 1 in the world with their "white gloves" inspectors. These are End of Assembly Line Inspectors who job is to go thru each and every vehicle as it rolls of the assembly line and divert any vehicle not up to standard to the "fix before transporting" yard.
    IF Tesla were to do this, they would save a lot of money and SC time, fixing problems before any vehicle left the factory premises.
    I my opinion, it is becoming obvious that "fix on delivery" is going to tarnish the Tesla brand.