Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model s door latch sticking

So the driver door handle on my 2016 Model S presents itself but when I pull it the door doesn’t open. If I yank on it really hard than the door will open and then the latch seems to work for a little while but then it starts sticking again. I have been searching online and I can only find the problem with the doorhandle presenting itself not the latch sticking. Does anyone else have this issue and how do I go about fixing it myself?

Comments

• Your issue isn't the latch sticking. The pressure sensor in the handle is acting up.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Your issue isn't the latch sticking. The pressure sensor in the handle is acting up.

Oh ok that makes sense. Is it an easy fix?
  • I am trying to find the replacement pressure sensor. Would it be part # 1016009-00-E ?
  • Sometimes the handle will be presented, but timed out for opening, so pulling doesn’t do anything. The handle retracts and re-presents and then works. Not sure if this is your issue.
  • Easy fix? Well, for a Tesla technician it is. Basically your remove the door panel, then remove the door handle module from the door. Then remove and replace the faulty sensor. Put everything back together.
  • Also check the alignment. My door handle was sticking and Tesla guy came and he aligned it and it worked fine after that.
  • I concur with @jordanrichard_629778: the behavior you describe sounds like a broken pressure switch (or a broken wire in the harness.) At least one aftermarket company sells nice rebuild kits which contain: a more robust paddle gear; new switches; new, more robust wiring harness that resists flex-failure longer than the OEM harness; door panel clips; vapor barrier retainers.

On my 2015 S 85D, three handles have failed: two from broken paddle gears because my friends and family members slam car doors harder than the Romans slammed the portcullis when the Huns attacked; and one from a failed pressure switch (which was probably actually a broken wire [flex-failure] in the harness.) Tesla repaired the first handle under warranty; I repaired the last two.

While you’re in there, you may as well do the full rebuild—especially if your paddle gears are first generation die-cast metal. It’s fairly easy, rewarding work if you like to tinker (I do), and requires only basic tools e.g.: sockets, Allen wrenches, drivers. etc.
  • Thanks Dan_Foster! I ordered the kit that has a new switch and the paddle gear. Hopefully this will fix the issue and save me from future problems with this one door atleast.
  • https://youtu.be/7NeTaCWFd-I

Video on door handle shows dip switches that fail