Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cracked windshield!!

Probably was caused by the defroster in this cold weather....looks around 12" long at the bottom on the passenger side...before I call Safelite....any suggestions??

Comments

• Yes, get your windshield replaced with Tesla glass at a Tesla service center.
  • Yes, I kind of forgot it has to be Tesla ....has anyone been through this yet....a replaced windshield?
  • I doubt the defroster is the cause. I've used my defroster in below zero temps without a problem. The glass was either defective or installed improperly resulting in stress on the glass.
  • Just went through the same thing. Tried to get it done at safelite. Initially they said they would do it, showed up for my appointment and the manager said they couldn’t. Got it done a few weeks later at Tesla. Unfortunately Tesla would not work with the insurance company and had to pay for it upfront 1400$ and now waiting for reimbursement from my insurance company
  • As a retired auto glass owner/installer I'm sure that someday their will be windshields available from auto glass warehouses. It seams like right now that Tesla has a monopoly on the parts.
  • > @barrykmd said:
    > I doubt the defroster is the cause. I've used my defroster in below zero temps without a problem. The glass was either defective or installed improperly resulting in stress on the glass.

Theres no way to determine what the issue was, but it did happen after I was warming up the car today at work...car is barely 2 yrs old, ive never had a windshield crack like this before.
  • Aligning cameras make it a non Standard install I’d guess.
  • > @MD8567_98068241 said:
    > Just went through the same thing. Tried to get it done at safelite. Initially they said they would do it, showed up for my appointment and the manager said they couldn’t. Got it done a few weeks later at Tesla. Unfortunately Tesla would not work with the insurance company and had to pay for it upfront 1400$ and now waiting for reimbursement from my insurance company

Thanks for your reply! Was going to call Safelite also but maybe ill just contact Tesla tomorrow and see what they say. $1400 for a windshield is about 2x cost of a Cadillac one...haha.
  • @Mark2018S, I hope you have a low deductible under your comprehensive coverage.`
  • Actually by law in Florida there is no deductible for windshields
  • Safelite gave me a quote of $489 to replace....with lifetime warrantee. Was not expecting that! Yes, they are aware of the cameras.
  • > @Mark2018S said:
    > Safelite gave me a quote of $489 to replace....with lifetime warrantee. Was not expecting that! Yes, they are aware of the cameras.

That's very good to hear. Can you report back if you have them do it.
  • > @tldickerson said:

> That's very good to hear. Can you report back if you have them do it.

Tesla quoted me $800 and change, Safelite could not calibrate the cameras so im just going to have Tesla do it all for a little more.
  • I learned years ago to find an insurance company that would offer a Rider to the policy to cover OEM glass. USAA and $100/year more for the glass Rider.
  • rickrparker, relative few can have USAA insurance.

Here in CT., like apparently FL, there is no deductible for glass.

I got a stone chip in my windshield which cause a small crack, which grew over the two weeks it took for a new windshield to show up. My insurance company wanted me to use Safelite to which I said, ummmmm no. So I paid the $1,200 to have Tesla replace it and then my insurance company paid me back.
  • Stone chips need immediate epoxy. An easy and cheap DIY.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Stone chips need immediate epoxy. An easy and cheap DIY.

From my 40 years experience stone chips are best left to experts and they don't use regular epoxy. Also, if the chip has no small cracks then they don't need to be fixed. My current Tesla windshield has a lot of small chips. Best to look thru the windshield and don't look at the chips.
  • Experts? Haha. If you want something done right, do it yourself. You probably can’t do eye surgery, but I can and do fix windshields.
  • BH, ha haaaa, ha, lol, I laughed so hard, I p'd
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Experts? Haha. If you want something done right, do it yourself. You probably can’t do eye surgery, but I can and do fix windshields.

Most auto glass installers are trained to do this type of repair. We all know here on this forum that BH can do anything. I'm just trying to help the average person. Your the Big joke.
  • Don’t quit your day job.
  • I retired over a decade ago so you don't have to worry about me. Maybe you should have a good look at that eye surgery you did on yourself.
  • It’s no wonder, charging $134 to do a $1 job. It was for a Tesla, so they saw $$$ at Safelite. Gotta pay for all those commercials.
  • Most repairs are free with insurance or without usually $20. You just had a bad experience.
  • Not me. Somebody I helped avoid getting ripped off. It’s not 1990 anymore.

“Costs for windshield repairs vary by location, auto glass service provider and damage type. Typical prices range from $60 to $100 for a single chip, and discounts may apply when fixing additional chips on the same windshield. Crack repair prices are similar, although fixing a longer crack may cost $125 or more.”
    -AAA