Model X

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model X dead.

My Model X died today 3 days after major service and MCU/memory chip was not replaced as requested. 5 years old 150,000 miles MX P90D. Car totally dead: cannot get in the car and do not know how it can be towed. Fob doesn't work and app will not sign on. No warning regarding 12V battery and emergency road service cannot help. 200 miles from nearest service center and 60 miles from home. Suggestions?

Comments

• Road service cannot help? It can be towed with no power. Who said it can’t?
  • Same issue. Car got towed for free to the nearest SC. They offered to upgrade the MCU to Intel Atom for a fee. I took it. Best decision ever. It’s literally a new car.
  • Sounds like the 12v battery may have had a catastrophic failure. Very rare, as most 12v batteries degrade in a way that Tesla can alert you a month in advance of failure. It could also be the DC-DC inverter, but those failures are even rarer now.

Ideally, mobile service could replace the 12v battery or you could have it towed. Being long out of warranty, that could be expensive. You might also use a nearby service shop and see about having a 12v battery shipped overnight from a Tesla service center (I don't know if they offer this kind of option).

For more about the 12v battery, I wrote this article a while back:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/12-volt-battery-compendium/
  • My MX, 2016 with 32K miles on it, died last Tuesday, in Dallas in the cold temps. I got a suspension error and the car would not go into drive. I had a flat bed pickup come on Saturday to tow it to the service center, and both screens were black. The car had 177 miles of battery life left on it on Tuesday. The truck could not tow the car because it could not be put into tow mode. Today I called and had another tow truck with 'dollies' come for a tow. When I approach the car with key fob, the door opened. It still had battery power to open the doors and read the fob, but the screens were black. Waiting for input from Tesla on the problem. Any ideas from the crowd? (we just purchased the car in Nov, so my first time with an issue and working with the service center)
  • > @Tbomb75205 said:
    > My MX, 2016 with 32K miles on it, died last Tuesday, in Dallas in the cold temps. I got a suspension error and the car would not go into drive. I had a flat bed pickup come on Saturday to tow it to the service center, and both screens were black. The car had 177 miles of battery life left on it on Tuesday. The truck could not tow the car because it could not be put into tow mode. Today I called and had another tow truck with 'dollies' come for a tow. When I approach the car with key fob, the door opened. It still had battery power to open the doors and read the fob, but the screens were black. Waiting for input from Tesla on the problem. Any ideas from the crowd? (we just purchased the car in Nov, so my first time with an issue and working with the service center)

Sounds like your 12v battery
  • Picked up my MX from the service center yesterday. Battery heater needed to be replaced. I also had creaking sound in the steering and they replaced two steering rods and the sound is gone. I had trouble with the Tesla app on my phone and struggled to communicate with the service advisor, then the app started working again after I picked up my car. I showed the advisor my phone and the issue and he felt it was a Tesla app issue, not my phone. Overall, happy with the service and the results. Thanks,