Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Replacement MCU1

I went in for the eMMC replacement and due to chronic WiFi connectivity issues am Having a replacement MCU1 installed. Under warranty. Part says MCU NA PREMIUM-HW 2.0/2.5/3.0-Remanufactured. Has anyone had this done? Can I expect any improvement in MCU1 overall function? 2017 S 100D

Comments

• It might work a bit faster, but I suspect you'll not notice any difference. There will not be any new features, although it's possible the extra memory could be used for a future feature that does not fit on older MCU1s. The new eMMC is 8 times larger at 64 GB.
  • I wondered if by chance the components of the MCU had improved in the past 3.5 years. Even though it’s still a MCU1 and also wondered with a new MCU1 if the memory would not be as full and it might run a little faster.
  • > @bhansen34_93453504 said:
    > I wondered if by chance the components of the MCU had improved in the past 3.5 years. Even though it’s still a MCU1 and also wondered with a new MCU1 if the memory would not be as full and it might run a little faster.

I just got one and they are not new but refurbished. It comes with the 64 gb memory. It's worse that my first MCU1. Waiting now for a MCU2 to replace it.
  • Does that mean they also replace the screen or is MCU just some computer in the back?
  • @Adeel421 - The MCU includes the touchscreen, the infotainment processor, RAM, eMMC, cellular, WiFi, 5 audio amplifiers, USB, Bluetooth, GPS, and controls various non-critical devices, like ambient lighting.

The MCU2 retrofit replaces MCU1 and the instrument cluster with a newer faster processor and upgrades most of the items above to newer hardware versions.
  • I wrote a lot more about the MCUs here:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/autopilot-processors-and-hardware-mcu-hw-demystified/
  • @TT, I've read your info on the MCU2 upgrade and the Tesla Infotainment Upgrade information. The real question I have and probably others too is I've read that the IC screen comes with the MCU2 but I've also heard where people also got a new Center Touch screen. What exactly have you heard in regards to both screen replacements. I remember gearing that they use to discount the old $2,500 cost if you keep your old Center touch screen. Curious minds want to know.
  • My understanding is the $1500 MCU2 retrofit includes MCU2 with a new center display along with a completely new Instrument cluster with its new display. It is one of the better bargains. A small Lexus 10" display infotainment module costs about $4,000.

For a while when it was $2500, they offered a $250 discount to reuse the old screen for some vehicle configurations. The oldest cars never had an option to reuse the screen. I had mine done last September, and I asked to reuse my 2016 display, but they told me they no longer had that option.

My guess is that wasn't worth the extra labor cost to move over the display from MCU1 to MCU2. It might have also been offered if they couldn't get enough LCD panels at the time.
  • Thanks TT, I'm planning to get mine replaced very soon.
  • Hi! Is this in reference to the recall? Will the MCU be replaced with a refurbished one?
  • Hi lilbean. No, not due to the recall. I had them work on my car numerous times to no avail. If you read my post up above I wrote what they have already done. I'm just going to bite the bullet and do the upgrade to the MCU2.
  • Thanks, tl!