Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model S Half Shaft Issue

My Model S was 10 months old with approximately 10,000 miles. With moderate acceleration I felt and heard a shuttering noise from the front end. After a drive with the tech he immediately knew what the problem was. He said the half shafts in the front end needed to be replaced. He also said they would be replaced n/c as a one time courtesy. (Really). Well 6 weeks later and 700 miles later it started all over again. This time they want $1300 to replace them (not happening). Not paying for something that a) lasted 6 weeks b) car is under warranty c) obviously a design flaw. I will be taking this up the food chain. Has anyone else had a similar issue??

Comments

• Sorry, but this story doesn't hold water. The car is covered BTB, for 4 yrs/50,000 miles. Unless one ran over something that struck the half shaft, it is covered under warranty.
  • Has anyone had a similar issue?

Yes:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-bulletin-out-on-hard-acceleration-shudder.159838/

And there is a service bulletin out on it too.

Spoiler, half shafts are the symptom, not the cause...
  • Sorry but this is my second Model S and never had an issue with the first. I don’t have a heavy foot or Jack rabbit starts. Even if I did you don’t develop a car with that much torque that can’t deal with it.
  • I don't have a problem either, but many have, hence the many posts and SB I provided abouve

The problem is poor design/installation of the clevis mount.

Remedy is new clevis and proper instl, and half shaft replacement if they are damaged.

Seems like your SvC took the easy way out, and did not follow the SB.
  • Had mine done at 20,000 km with new part. Issue in old were cv not being lubricated properly when cold. Also, torque on shaft may be been off. 5,000 km in on new shafts and they are fine. I am careful not to push too hard during winter until car is driven awhile. Also, higher suspension settings are much harder on cv due to angle. Keep it in low and sport suspension will reduce wear.
  • Why would this not be covered under warranty?
  • It should be covered under the basic warranty, but not the "drivetrain" warranty.

Tesla does not include the drive shafts as part of that. HV pack and motors only.

Reports they have tried to deny claims for leaking drive unit seals, which is a real stretch, and I would challenge that if I happened to me.