Model 3

Apple iMessages (send failed)

I am 99.9% certain that i used to be able to send a response to my kids from the car using voice reply. they do not have phones but rather just iPads. I have no issue receiving the messages, but when i reply, i get a Send Failed message. They do not have a cellular enabled iPad, so it's just imsgs.

Has something changed that is preventing being able to reply? i took my car to a service center and they said it could be a tesla firmware thing, but were of no help at all. I cant believe that in 2021 we can respond to non-phone number based messages when it's sending through my device via bluetooth. am i missing something?

thanks!
mike.

Comments

• I have been getting the same results lately. I haven’t spent any time looking for a solution yet, so can’t be of any help to you. It could be a firmware issue or maybe I need to redo to Bluetooth connection.
  • Does the text work if you send it from your phone? The car doesn’t know or care about iMessage vs. SMS, it’s the phone that handles that.

I’ve had problems sending iMessage texts from my iPhone and iPad at times, so I’m guessing that might be the issue for you, but I don’t know.
  • No problem sending texts from my iPhone. I don’t get a lot of texts while driving so have no idea when the problem may have started.
  • Ok, I’ve done a little more exploring. When I got in the car, I was not connected to Bluetooth so I made sure it was connected. Asked my wife to send me a text and after reading (listening to) it tried to dictate a reply. Failed to send. Did a power down reset and reconnected Bluetooth. I initiated a text via voice command and it was sent. Then listened to the reply and dictated a reply. Failed to send again. Not sure what’s going on. Maybe it will get fixed in an update.
  • What happens if you pick up the phone and reply using it after the Tesla fails?
  • Keep trying different things, this is an odd one. I’d ask the same question Hal2001 did, try on the phone in the car for grins.
  • Still no luck. I can send a text from my phone no problem, but when replying to a text with the car, no dice. Tried a two thumb reset with the brake pedal thrown in for good measure and still no joy. I can request a text send with the thumb wheel and that can be sent. I guess that’s the workaround until the issue gets fixed.
  • Originally this message was about sending iMessage to iPads, is this now a more widespread problem for any type of text using Tesla Voice Command? I know I was using mine yesterday to text my wife when I was leaving the grocery. 2018 M3 paired with my iPhone 12 Pro. The only time I ever had issues was that the bluetooth options in the car stopped syncing messages.

I saw you power cycled and did the two thumb restart, did you try unpairing the phone and the car and repairing?
  • As an Android user, when I get a group text from my iFriends, they just come through as plain text. Example: someone sends a humorous meme and responses from iPhone likes/thumbs up or whatever show up as a plain text "Liked xyz."
  • Group texts between Android and iPhones has always been flaky. So are SMS messages between the two.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > As an Android user, when I get a group text from my iFriends, they just come through as plain text. Example: someone sends a humorous meme and responses from iPhone likes/thumbs up or whatever show up as a plain text "Liked xyz."

that is because of the way Bluetooth works... it isn't something wrong with the Tesla. It's just what it is. You cannot group text via Bluetooth unfortunately.
  • So far nothing has worked. I have deleted and re-enabled the Bluetooth connections, done multiple resets, deleted and reinstalled the phone key and everything else I can think of and has been suggested here. At this point I am pretty convinced it has to do with the 48.35.5 version I’m on. I’ll have to see what happens when .4.X shows up.
  • > @walnotr said:
    > At this point I am pretty convinced it has to do with the 48.35.5 version I’m on. I’ll have to see what happens when .4.X shows up.

You are pretty far behind. Maybe open a ticket and request them to push something newer. Just explained your problem and when it happened.
  • Oh, the text messages I received in the car show up on both my iPhone and iPad. Sent messages do not. Other than the ones I initiated. For the record, I’m talking about replying to a received text by dictating the reply. The text of my reply shows up in the record box but always gets a “send failed” message when I click the thumb wheel.
  • > @walnotr said:
    > Oh, the text messages I received in the car show up on both my iPhone and iPad. Sent messages do not. Other than the ones I initiated. For the record, I’m talking about replying to a received text by dictating the reply. The text of my reply shows up in the record box but always gets a “send failed” message when I click the thumb wheel.

I'm on the same exact version you are on (2020.48.35.5) and don't have the issue at all with responding to received texts.
  • @bradbomb, interesting data point. It used to work well before. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t generally get many text messages so it is difficult to pin down when this problem began. It has been going on for a few weeks though.
  • @HAL2001 - Just scheduled a mobile service appt. we’ll see what the reply is.
  • > @walnotr said:
    > @HAL2001 - Just scheduled a mobile service appt. we’ll see what the reply is.

They will probably cancel the mobile service so don’t be concerned. It should be handled remotely.
  • @HAL2001 - I fully expected that when I made the appointment.
  • Mine used to work fine until the last update. So it will need to be fixed in an update.
  • I haven’t set up a phone with the car in a while, but SOMEWHERE there is a spot where you have to allow access to texts, right? Can you turn that off & back on again? I don’t even remember if that’s on the car or phone.

I realize that’s a long shot as if it is working for receiving it SHOULD work for sending, but that’s all I got at this point.

Or maybe don’t mess with it until Tesla gets a look at it via remote and see what they say. It could help them with another problem like this were it to happen.

In the meantime you are a unicorn, congrats?
  • Mobile service appointment is set for the 26th. There have been a few text messages back and forth. So far it hasn’t been canceled but I suspect it will be before Friday. I almost feel like I’m wasting their time, but I am curious about why it is being so stubborn.
  • @walnotr Definitely keep us posted. Another random thought to try, have you tried pairing a different phone? See if it has the same experience with another phone? You don't need to have it setup as a key, just add it to the bluetooth settings and sync messages. I'm curious if it is system wide, or isolated to your phone.
  • ive tried from my iphone and my wifes with no luck responding to imsgs originating from an ipad with no cellular. i have unpaired, repaired, rebooted phones, car, resync'ed messages, etc. nothing works. i tried having my messages originate from both my phone number and my apple id. not sure what else to try at this point. im on the latest ios and dont have access to one with the prior version. that would rule out ios (potentially).

i noticed the option to even reply to a message via voice assist isnt available (replyu is greyed out) if you pull the message history (and it shows a chat like interface even though you cant actually type).

at this point, i consider this a bug. the marietta tesla service center has no clue what the issue is and said it's probably a bug if it actually worked before (it did). with that said, they made no indication of filing a bug report with tesla. it's also my understanding is that while you can file a report from the car, it's lost within 24 hrs if you dont have someone pull the logs from the car.

does tesla have a webpage you can submit bug reports? everything i google says just the 'bug report' feature using voice assist.
  • No web page to submit bug reports. You can try going to the Support page and use the Contact Us option.