Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Model S 2013 Model 41000 Miles - Should i keep or trade for a New Model 3

Hi Tesla
need opinion should i trade my 2013 Model S which has 41000 miles but my extended warranty will expire may 2021 or trade my 2013 and get a 2021 or 2022 model 3 by investing another 30k.

Also anyone has had any experience with Carshied warranty for Tesla

Hadi
469-628-0432

Comments

• No one here can say what’s right for you. Model S and Model 3 are different cars. There are multiple threads in the forums comparing them, so search for those. We also don’t know your financial situation.

By the way, posting your phone number in a public forum is a bad idea.
  • Are you saying you will trade your model S for a model 3 and invest additional 30k??? What r they offering your for your model S? 10k?
    Damn I’ll buy it for that price.
  • they offered me 30k for my 2013 Model S and model 3 is costing me around 60k total
  • my post was more to get an opinion if anyone has expereince with keepign their Model S after 8 years or after 4 years with no extended warranty
  • Have you test drove the Model 3?
  • I have a Model S which is 200k miles out of the extended warranty. I also have a Model 3. $30k is probably 3X what I could get in trade, so I have no impetus to trade it. Love both cars. Both are out of warranty.
  • > @klalani said:
    > they offered me 30k for my 2013 Model S and model 3 is costing me around 60k total

Sorry I have a hard time with Tesla offering 30k for a 2013....they gave me a trade value of 50k for my 2018 MS with 18k miles....care to screenshot the quote and post it?
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I have a Model S which is 200k miles out of the extended warranty. I also have a Model 3. $30k is probably 3X what I could get in trade, so I have no impetus to trade it. Love both cars. Both are out of warranty.

So how are you handling out of warranty repairs , that exactly what i want to do is keep my Model S which has only 41k miles but i am just not sure teh cost of repairs without any extended warranty. any chance we can speak Monday .. thanks Hadi
  • The ranger still comes gratis, so I just pay as I go. Costs have been similar to what an extended warranty would have cost. I went 88k miles between visits on the S and the 3 has not needed any service in the first 78k miles.
  • Does your 2013 Model S have air suspension? There is a noticeable difference in ride quality to the Model 3. When I go from my 2012 MS with air suspension to my wife's 2018 M3, I feel like I've gone from the ride of a luxury sedan to that of a go-cart.
  • I have been out of the original BTB warranty for 136,000 miles (2014 S85). Did not buy the extended warranty and if I had, I would have lost money.

Now with that said, I will admit that as March 2022 nears, I may start getting a tad nervous. That's when the battery pack an DU go out of warranty. Mechanical things tend to give you a sign that there is something amiss and there may be a pending big expense. For example, in an CIE you start seeing a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. That means the engine is burning oil and may need new valve guides/seals.

With our battery packs, generally speaking there are no tell tale signs. There are numerous stories of people suddenly getting the dreaded "car may not start" warning. The whole thing is either a "GO or "No Go" Difficult to plan for covering the cost of a new pack when Tesla doesn't seem to tell us how much a new pack costs.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > I have been out of the original BTB warranty for 136,000 miles (2014 S85). Did not buy the extended warranty and if I had, I would have lost money.
    >
    > Now with that said, I will admit that as March 2022 nears, I may start getting a tad nervous. That's when the battery pack an DU go out of warranty. Mechanical things tend to give you a sign that there is something amiss and there may be a pending big expense. For example, in an CIE you start seeing a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. That means the engine is burning oil and may need new valve guides/seals.
    >
    > With our battery packs, generally speaking there are no tell tale signs. There are numerous stories of people suddenly getting the dreaded "car may not start" warning. The whole thing is either a "GO or "No Go" Difficult to plan for covering the cost of a new pack when Tesla doesn't seem to tell us how much a new pack costs.

Thanks for your response , it was helpful
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > The ranger still comes gratis, so I just pay as I go. Costs have been similar to what an extended warranty would have cost. I went 88k miles between visits on the S and the 3 has not needed any service in the first 78k miles.

my only concern is if anything goes wrong with A/C or middle console screen or handles then those are expensive items to replace.
    Also Tesla just replaced my Drive unit so i shoudl be good hopefully for a couple of years. I hate to spend more money and trade for a Model 3 or Model S when my vehicle onl1 has 41k miles.
    thanks for sharing your thoughts

Hadi
  • > @stevenmaifert_12203 said:
    > Does your 2013 Model S have air suspension? There is a noticeable difference in ride quality to the Model 3. When I go from my 2012 MS with air suspension to my wife's 2018 M3, I feel like I've gone from the ride of a luxury sedan to that of a go-cart.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check that out .

Hadi
  • > @klalani said:
    > > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > > I have been out of the original BTB warranty for 136,000 miles (2014 S85). Did not buy the extended warranty and if I had, I would have lost money.
    > >
    > > Now with that said, I will admit that as March 2022 nears, I may start getting a tad nervous. That's when the battery pack an DU go out of warranty. Mechanical things tend to give you a sign that there is something amiss and there may be a pending big expense. For example, in an CIE you start seeing a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. That means the engine is burning oil and may need new valve guides/seals.
    > >
    > > With our battery packs, generally speaking there are no tell tale signs. There are numerous stories of people suddenly getting the dreaded "car may not start" warning. The whole thing is either a "GO or "No Go" Difficult to plan for covering the cost of a new pack when Tesla doesn't seem to tell us how much a new pack costs.
    >
    > Thanks for your response , it was helpful
    >

I did buy extended warranty after my initail 4 years and am glad i did that as i had A/C issues, Center console screen issues and door handles and Drive unit but all were covered under teh extended warranty. now my extended warranty is expiring May 29th 2021 and i am debating to trade and invest aroudn 30-40k more for a Model 3 or 60-70k or more for a Model S or just keep my 2013 Model S which only has 41k miles. i am hoping my battery wil last until i reach over 150k miles but one never knows

Thoughts

Hadi
  • Like Richard said, the big exposure happens at 8 years when you’re on the hook for the battery and DU. Most other incidentals are not bank breakers.
  • klanai, your DU was still under warranty, so your extended warranty doesn't come into play. So between after the 4yr/ 50K mark, what did you have to spend in total, in repairs?
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > klanai, your DU was still under warranty, so your extended warranty doesn't come into play. So between after the 4yr/ 50K mark, what did you have to spend in total, in repairs?

I still have 41k miles after 8 years, after 4 years i had 17k miles and bought the extended warranty at that time . so far have paid just 200 deductible every time car was in shop.

1. A/c
    2. Center Dislay
    3. 4 Door Handles

Hadi
  • > @Mark2018S said:
    > > @klalani said:
    > > they offered me 30k for my 2013 Model S and model 3 is costing me around 60k total
    >
    > Sorry I have a hard time with Tesla offering 30k for a 2013....they gave me a trade value of 50k for my 2018 MS with 18k miles....care to screenshot the quote and post it?

Tesla offered me $37K for my 2017 Model S with 41K miles. I'm not sure how they can offer you $30K for a 2013 with the same miles. But if you are really getting that as a trade-in offer... I would personally take it in an instant. No need to think about it. The Model S is great, but a brand new loaded Model 3 (at $60K) will be better than a 2013 S in my opinion.
  • > @dsteal said:
    > > @Mark2018S said:
    > > > @klalani said:
    > > > they offered me 30k for my 2013 Model S and model 3 is costing me around 60k total
    > >
    > > Sorry I have a hard time with Tesla offering 30k for a 2013....they gave me a trade value of 50k for my 2018 MS with 18k miles....care to screenshot the quote and post it?
    >
    > Tesla offered me $37K for my 2017 Model S with 41K miles. I'm not sure how they can offer you $30K for a 2013 with the same miles. But if you are really getting that as a trade-in offer... I would personally take it in an instant. No need to think about it. The Model S is great, but a brand new loaded Model 3 (at $60K) will be better than a 2013 S in my opinion.

My question exactly, which was ignored.
  • I'm beyond 8 years and I can't see doing a Model 3 unless car width is an issue. But that is just me.

No way I would give up a Model S at those prices.