Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

No loaner for you.

I tried to have the screen recall service done on my model S today and I have an extended warranty so I am still covered. When I arrived they told me I couldn't have a loaner even though they were keeping my car overnight. I was told there were service loaners when I purchased my vehicle before purchasing a tesla. I don't think it's an option to refuse them later because of any reason. Tesla is going down the wrong road if they plan to stop giving loaner cars for service. I won't be buying any more Tesla's until this is solved. I have an order in for a cyber truck and was looking a model Y to replace my Mercedes but that not going to happen now.

Comments

• My SC in Springfield NJ never has loaners regardless of how long they have it. The best they can do is give you an Uber voucher. Are you kidding.... what’s next directions on how to hitchhike home. Even worse there is nobody to answer the phones or emails. I have to drive there in person to get an answer.......unacceptable.
  • I get poor service from the Mercedes dealer in town. They deny warranty even though I show them a broken part, saying I have to bring the car in, or I should go to the dealer that broke the part.

I decided to go to another dealer.

Suggest you try a different service center before you dis Tesla.
  • The service center I usually go to no longer gives me loaners either. They used to let me pick the color of my loaner. 🤣
  • OP, I know this isn't the point of your thread, but they haven't started the recall yet on the daughter boards (not the screens). Additionally, since it is a recall, then you having an extended warranty doesn't mean anything. I have been out of warranty for the past 136,000 miles and I won't have to pay for the daughter board replacement in my 2014 S.

As for them not having any loaners, well, unlike a traditional dealer, a Tesla service center doesn't have a lot full of used cars lying around that they can pull from for loaner duty. Should they have told you in advance so that you could make other arrangements, absolutely.
  • Ironically, by you not buying another Tesla, it increases the chance of another customer getting a loaner. 👍
  • Dropped my car off today to have the windshield replaced, and do annual service.,..they told me yest it would be done by the end of today, but when I dropped it off they said it may not be ready....I asked for a loaner and they said they didnt have any....but the parking lot had dozens of Teslas in it....with no license plates....I was a cadillac guy before my Tesla fascination, and they ALWAYS had a loaner, even if my service was a few hours, I could drive to work and go back to get my car....Tesla is really pinching pennies here, its gonna bite them in the ass someday.
  • Mark2018S, I am in CT and our service center also always has a lot of cars in the lot, however they are not registered. They are only there temporarily, before being shipped off to NY. So unless one knows the legal status of every car on the property, we can't just assume that they can be handed over to you as a loaner.
  • Loaner is basically providing transportation while your car is in service. When I bought my car in 2018 there were hardly any Model 3 out there so the service center I went to had at least 8 loaners on hand. I only took out a loaner twice and one time the service advisor told me that once they told me my car is ready, I had to bring the loaner back within 48 hours or they will charge me as some people went on road trips with their loaners and would not return the loaners for days. My car was in the service center for the MCU2 upgrade and 2 other minor issues but ended up being there for 6 days including Saturday and Sunday. I was told I would only get a loaner if they need the car for more than 48 hours. They sent me home with 200.00 uber credit. When it was clear that my car will spend the weekend with them, I was offered a loaner but I turned it down because I did not need it. I ended up having 1000.00 uber credit altogether. Better than going joyride with a loaner, I took a MBZ uber round trip to go pick up dinner and downtown for errands. I was trying to get an uber black to go pick up my car but the wait was too long so I just got the select. I like being driven.
  • I think what most people fail to understand is "loaners" are not an entitlement, they are just "good will." Some ICE car deals offer loaners, some do not. And so it is no surprise to me that some Tesla shops offer them and some do not. BTW, loaners are mostly cars set aside for that exact purpose.

Just be nice and if they do not offer a loaner perhaps you can get Uber credits, or maybe drop-off and pick-up service. And if your car will be in the shop for an extended period maybe a rental reimbursement. Be creative, but always nice.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Mark2018S, I am in CT and our service center also always has a lot of cars in the lot, however they are not registered. They are only there temporarily, before being shipped off to NY. So unless one knows the legal status of every car on the property, we can't just assume that they can be handed over to you as a loaner.

Im sure those cars are for sale...but it makes sense from a customer service perspective to have cars for people having theirs serviced for an extended period of time. If Cadillac can afford to do it, so can Tesla. Im not thrilled with the level of CS from an expensive car...id expect it from KIA, not Tesla.
  • Remember, the "best service is no service"

"Soon"
  • Whenever I’ve gone to the service centre, I’ve made sure to include the requirement for a loaner right in the service request, then message them and get confirmation. Never had an issue! You can’t expect to just walk in and get one! With our Mercedes, I sometimes need to push appointments out a few weeks to get a loaner. No different. Why do some Tesla owners feel so privileged and complain? I suspect the complainers on this forum Nd just a pain in the ass in real life as well? There is cause and effect here - you’re an ass - they have no incentive to be nice!
  • @ATPMSD "I think what most people fail to understand is "loaners" are not an entitlement, they are just "good will." "

Actually they are when the CEO says every service event will include a loaner. Which he did.

"And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

Back when I bought my first Tesla in 2013, this was the WRITTEN commitment:

"Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program
    Elon Musk, Chairman, Product Architect & CEO April 26, 2013
    Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
    Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
    Making Service Better Than Invisible

The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.

Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.

For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature."

So yeah, Elon says a lot of stuff. Some of it turns out to be true. Virtually none of the aforementioned ever was.
  • Except he just said at
    the last earnings call, "The best service is no service"

That is about the only consistency I can see...
  • > @chrismcmeen_98198521 said:
    > I tried to have the screen recall service done on my model S today and I ........... a model Y to replace my Mercedes but that not going to happen now. >

LOL You should stick to your Mercedes. Don’t get a Tesla. It’s not for people like you. Cancel all your orders and stick to ICE.
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > I get poor service from the Mercedes dealer in town. They deny warranty even though I show them a broken part, saying I have to bring the car in, or I should go to the dealer that broke the part.
    >
    > I decided to go to another dealer.
    >
    > Suggest you try a different service center before you dis Tesla.

The difference is that Mercedes dealers are independent franchises. Tesla "dealers" are in fact Tesla.
  • @Pungoteague_Dave,

Great reference, but alas, no more:

https://electrek.co/2019/08/16/tesla-shutting-service-loaner-elon-musk/
  • > @TranzNDance said:
    > Ironically, by you not buying another Tesla, it increases the chance of another customer getting a loaner. 👍

If too many people start not buying a Tesla, there won’t be any loaners to give to anyone either. I love the Tesla, but let’s not be a stupid fanboy!!
  • > @Godzilla said:
    > > @TranzNDance said:
    > > Ironically, by you not buying another Tesla, it increases the chance of another customer getting a loaner. 👍
    >
    > If too many people start not buying a Tesla, there won’t be any loaners to give to anyone either. I love the Tesla, but let’s not be a stupid fanboy!!

When you bought the car did they sign a contract guaranteeing loaners would always be available for you?

In many years of car ownership. I’ve been given a loaner once. They have arranged a rental car a few times for me or a courtesy shuttle.

I personally find Uber credits (or arranging rides with family or friends) is sufficient for most people.
  • I leave in San Jose, California. I just had my DU replaced due to milling noise and Tesla paid for everything including car loaner even though my car is already 8 years old.
  • > @Godzilla said:
    > > @TranzNDance said:
    > > Ironically, by you not buying another Tesla, it increases the chance of another customer getting a loaner. 👍
    >
    > If too many people start not buying a Tesla, there won’t be any loaners to give to anyone either. I love the Tesla, but let’s not be a stupid fanboy!!

A snarky comment to one disgruntled person in no way should be extrapolated to mean that Tesla should do it at scale. Let's chill out.
  • Loaners aren’t in infinite supply. Tesla isn’t refusing to give you one just because they don’t have one available for you.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave said:
    > So yeah, Elon says a lot of stuff. Some of it turns out to be true. Virtually none of the aforementioned ever was.

Here we go again with PD. Broad sweeping statement.

I've gotten a loaner every time I wanted one.
    I haven't been to Service in two years, and clearly something has changed, but "none" is incorrect.
  • I just got a loaner last month while getting a windshield replaced (it took them 4-5 days, long story). Now I'm trying to get a MCU2, and they must have a robot watching the Tesla app. I mentioned a loaner in one of my messages, and almost immediately got back a long boilerplate paragraph saying maybe, but don't count on it.