Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Paint chipped after hit by a shoulder bag

Our 2-month old red Model 3 was hit by my wife's shoulder bag and resulted to dime size paint chip on the rocker panel. Her bag with the metal ring at the end of the shoulder strap was picked up from the ground outside while seated in the car and hit the rocker panel.

Out of frustration, I duplicated the scenario with our 10-year old Sonata and pulled the bag up harder and repeated 3x, all I saw was a scratched paint.

Not much I can do now but to wait for my paint repair kit from Tesla. I already got used to gap and alignment issues... but chipped paint... pls!!! No more...

Comments

• A travesty, because a paint chip on a rocker panel is just so unacceptable. Have you considered employing the services of:

Dewie, Cheatum, and Howe?
  • edited February 22
    Let me understand...you are suggesting that just lifting up a bag caused this damage? So your wife was obviously getting in the car when this happened. What made you go and take a look straight away if it was just the noise of a ring tapping on paint? I would have just automatically assumed the worst it could be was a slight scratch and not even bothered to look, if I had even heard the noise! I suggest this happened while driving and the bag was just a coincidence.
  • @NorthValley - enough with your oddball logic. My wife is not getting a Louis Vuitton and that’s final.
  • @NorthValley : How I wished it was only a scratch. Hard to admit but Tesla paint quality is substandard. I guess this is the reason why some are willing to spend more money on paint protection such as PPF.
  • > @Tesly2000 said:
    > @NorthValley : How I wished it was only a scratch. Hard to admit but Tesla paint quality is substandard. I guess this is the reason why some are willing to spend more money on paint protection such as PPF.

This is a dumb talking point that has been debunked by so many people.

A paint expert checked the thickness and quality of like 12 different cars and tesla was one of the top in quality, even higher than jaguar, lexus and mercedes.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > I suggest this happened while driving and the bag was just a coincidence.

This.
  • > @Tesly2000 said:
    >Hard to admit but Tesla paint quality is substandard. I guess this is the reason why some are willing to spend more money on paint protection such as PPF.

Not substandard on my car nor in most others. Very few threads about paint considering the '000s of owners. The paint is not substandard in yours either. I'd bet good money it wasn't a bag that did that damage.

As for PPF, people use PPF on ALL types of vehicles where they want to keep the paintwork looking pristine, nothing to do with Tesla.

And why do you add 'hard to admit'? You seem quite willing to mention defects you say your Tesla has...why the lump in the throat over the paint?
  • Don’t forget the weak glass....
  • I’m telling y’all, we are getting several posts lately from what read like the same Nigerian Prince phishermen.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > I’m telling y’all, we are getting several posts lately from what read like the same Nigerian Prince phishermen.

What??? I'd better phone my bank.....
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > What??? I'd better phone my bank.....
    >

This is your bank, you just need to verify your username and password here to confirm your identification. Grin
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > > @M3phan said:
    > > I’m telling y’all, we are getting several posts lately from what read like the same Nigerian Prince phishermen.
    >
    > What??? I'd better phone my bank.....
    >
    >

🤣🤣🤣
  • My 2019 came with PPF on the rockers. Yours didn't?
  • I was driving my Tesla and hit a median and It totaled my car, I thought this was excessive so I took my Acura there and hit the median also to see if it would total the Acura also. It did not total it, this is an outrage. /s
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Don’t forget the weak glass....

Oh ya, I remember that thread about a bad delivery with 4 dents in the roof. Very substandard glass!
  • Too many Tesla fanboys!
  • > @Tesly2000 said:
    > Too many Tesla fanboys!

They make too damn good of a car. That's what happens after you buy one, you actually like it.
  • > @Tesly2000 said:

Newsflash: Tesla fans on a Tesla site! OMG! Sorry your fabricated tale was torn to shreds...come back in a month with another tale...
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Newsflash: Tesla fans on a Tesla site! OMG!

What!?!?!?!? I thought this was a forum strictly for Tesla bashers!
  • > @Tesly2000 said:

Why own a car you don't love? I never understood this. If you can afford a Tesla (at least most models) you can definitely afford a different brand.

I absolutely love my Tesla and I have like the poor mans version.

I also don't get why someone would go out of their way to come on a TESLA FORUM and talk shit about the vehicle while also calling anyone who defends it a "fanboy"
  • you would have to ask howard about that...
  • It is a diagnosable mental illness.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists