Solar Roof

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Solar roof on E. Coast-Ice damming a problem!

FYI,
I live in Long Island, NY with a new solar roof. Tesla has a problem with roof designs where the snow doesn't fall off roof freely and (TeslaSolarRoof)contributes to ice damming due to the build up of the snow and no clear way for the snow to melt and prevent damming.

Before my roof was done never experienced ice damming(over 20yrs owning home), because the snow never accumulated on that part of the roof. The snow slides down the glass from top to base and accumulates, because the snow volume is excessive and no functional way for the snow to fall off without alot of help. (This part of my roof involves a roof ridge & valley-Also a chimney)

The issue is to either provide a warming element at the base of the roof or invest in means to remove the snow manually(roof rake, blower, luck). I didn't account for the ice-damning when this process started and I'm not sure Tesla is aware of the problem due to the fact the roof was originally released in Ca, and they typically don't get snow on their roofs. Here on the east coast it has to be factored into the overall project especially if there's factors:
-design of roof
-ambient temperature of your town/village
-roof too high
-can the roof maintain it's purpose with days of ice-damming
-how do you anticipate the snow in the design of your roof?

This is just a note for people who gets snow either occasional or alot and have issue with ice-damming or WILL have issue with snow build up on the roof...considering the solar roof.
Overall I don't see it as a problem if you're prepared for it...There are a few days I'm concerned for my roof, gutters, and house due to the ice-damm not going away. It sits precariously close to the edge and until it rains or there's a very warm day to melt the excess snow & ice off the roof it's going to STAY there...I've ordered a roof rake and hopefully it will do the job of helping the snow OFF the roof when shoveling the snow.
But if I had known: Tesla would have had to plan this scenario into the design. It's dangerous - there's alot of factors that make it dangerous (ice pikes, water leaking into your home, never knowing when the snow is going to fall, gutter can break off and break windows), you(the owner) trying all manner of creativity to get rid of the ice & snow).
I mean who's as tall as their roofs?
;-x

Comments

• It likely depends a lot on the type of snow and roof angles. Seems some have no problems:
    Wisconsin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GHVSL35-k&feature=youtu.be
    Texas: https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1363944709501067264
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > It likely depends a lot on the type of snow and roof angles. Seems some have no problems:
    > Wisconsin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_GHVSL35-k&feature=youtu.be
    > Texas: https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1363944709501067264

It does depend on some variables...If I could show a pic of my roof you would understand.

That video of the guy in WI has ridges and valleys but that's a new house build and the builders/engineers NOW have a more contemporary engineering when it comes to the roof design into a new home.

I have a 30+yr old house -the complication of ridges/valley & it pitches towards a wide chimney(fireplace & chute) on the last azimuth of the roof to get sun...So none of the factors of these examples you sent.

My roof is clear now like I said with some rain from last night the accumulated snow has fallen off, but unlike these homes I had sustained snowing with cold temperatures and the sun hits that part of the roof the last in the day...None of the best variables....

My thread is more a warning and information for those doing the designing of a roof where the existing home has some peculiar variables in their roof design-every home and roof is unique. I just think going forward if we have more winters like this -a home-owner should be aware of the possibilities both good & bad. I'm in love with the roof just didn't have any knowledge of roof damming prior to this purchase.
  • I live in New England. Around here you will see many homes with copper or aluminum sheet metal for the first two feet or so up from the gutters instead of any kind of shingles, be they asphalt, slate or wooden. It's the best way to minimize any kind of ice dam. Copper lasts longer than aluminum (easily up to 75 years for copper), and looks better, but is much more expensive. I think this solution, while not cheap, would eliminate your problem.
  • Yep, I can see how some valleys and items like fireplaces can be a problem. I don't have snow issues, but I do get a lot of needles from a huge redwood that likes to collect around the chimney. It's a little better with the new roof, as Tesla installed a saddle to help deflect debris away from the chimney.

The solar glass tiles have a slick surface, more than any other roof material I've seen used. So things like leaves and snow are more likely to slide off, but as you noted, there are so many variables that make one home less of an issue than another.
  • Plus, it appears that Tesla has shifted to a different material for the inactive portions of the roof. It's no longer glass.
  • @Greg - The V3 solar roof uses metal for the edges that are formed to look like glass. It's a little less slippery than the glass, but not much (from walking on my roof). I think the main portions of the roof are still glass. I have about 50% solar tiles and 50% are dummy glass tiles. Are you saying they have switched to metal for the dummy tiles too?
  • > @Shelburne said:
    > I live in New England. Around here you will see many homes with copper or aluminum sheet metal for the first two feet or so up from the gutters instead of any kind of shingles, be they asphalt, slate or wooden. It's the best way to minimize any kind of ice dam. Copper lasts longer than aluminum (easily up to 75 years for copper), and looks better, but is much more expensive. I think this solution, while not cheap, would eliminate your problem.
    >

AAAahhhh Now I remember - there was copper on the base of my chimney. They removed it as there can't be ANY metal other than their(Tesla) aluminum on the roof. Also there can't be PV next to the metal on the roof...The replaced the copper with their metal...Doesn't work for my chimney as it doesn't conduct heat as well as the copper did. Hence why I got ice damming!
  • SOB!
    Shelburne you solved the riddle. Also your comment probably will save some new home-owners some head-ache and hair-pulling. It's crazy how this became a mystery until you just mentioned that piece of the puzzle.

All the copper that WAS on my roof has been removed! They did install a roof-cricket(not sure if I said it right) for the chimney, but it doesn't work as well as the copper(simple design that was flashing between the roof and chimney).

> @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @Greg - The V3 solar roof uses metal for the edges that are formed to look like glass. It's a little less slippery than the glass, but not much (from walking on my roof). I think the main portions of the roof are still glass. I have about 50% solar tiles and 50% are dummy glass tiles. Are you saying they have switched to metal for the dummy tiles too?

On my roof there's metal(on the edges, ridges, & valleys) and glass dummy tiles.
  • IIRC, others on these fora that have indicated that the dummy tiles are now metal, rather than glass (I forget who), and that there are significant cost savings as a result.

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first (or last) time.
  • Check this thread:

"What does the alternative roofing material look like?"
  • > @gregbrew_98470014 said:
    > IIRC, others on these fora that have indicated that the dummy tiles are now metal, rather than glass (I forget who), and that there are significant cost savings as a result.
    >
    > I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first (or last) time.

I just did the solar roof...I have it on my house now....they use all the materials. BUT they didn't substitute the glass for metal. They use metal similar to aluminum foil that you use for trimming your home when you install vinyl siding...
    That aluminum is shaped to look and feel like the glass so they can utilize the mendable shape for angles on your roof tempered glass can't do. ie...ridges, valleys, edges, around skylights, around chimneys. You can't tell the difference from the ground!

Version-3:
    -Dummy glass is another name for non-PV tiles. These usually come in 3-5 different shapes.
    -The PV-tiles (they called them 6X) is laced with diodes on the back only 1 size.

*Also as a rule whatever is on your roof (metal, copper, brick, alternate roof) etc....They will remove it and install their own material! You can't have copper on a roof or substance that conducts and transmit electricity(DC/AC).*
    ie...flashing on skylights, flashing on chimneys, exhaust vents, metal work for valleys, etc