Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

What's driving Tesla stock? It's not Tesla owners!

We paid Tesla the price of a Mercedes, but we ended up with a stripped down, “sloppy built” "Tesla EV Camaro" = Tesla’s Premium 3 Dual Motor.
• No am radio (basic for local news). After first year, you’ll have to pay Tesla
$120/ year to maintain your car’s full connectivity.
• Must purchase Premium connectivity. It’s a MUST HAVE. No real choice
• You MUST take eyes off road to monitor instruments (class action suit waiting to happen)
• Non-adjustable fixed panel screen – too cluttered to see details while driving
• Paint too thin – Tesla Cautions, Car must be hand washed
• No Spare tire – Aside from a long wait for service, you’ll be stuck if you’re not in a populated area (mountains, desert).
• No garage door opener – Must buy extra $300. (Mercedes includes it)
• No way to disconnect – save battery during long airport parking
• MUST purchase extras from a basic 220 V adapter to basic interior trays, mats, $200 - $300 of incidentals
• Parked car – windows retract by themselves
• Panels and parts don’t fit together
• Tesla cancels 1,000 free Super Charger mile “gift” if not used completely within 6 months
• Surprise! Our $100 purchase DEPOSIT, was converted into an order FEE when car was picked-up and final cash balance was paid.
• Customer service is non-existent. Phones go to robots.
• Only direct email is [email protected]
• You Tube positive reviews were purchased. We didn’t see the 18% 1-Star reviews.
• POSITIVE NOTE: Fun to drive and lots of power
• Other positive: No more stopping for gas.
• We own Tesla stock as part of a group. It’s too bad the company isn’t as good as it’s stock performance.
• Our next EV will be a Mercedes EV. Worth waiting for.

Comments

• You either knew, or should have known, all of that before buying the car. So why did you buy the car?
  • Deja vu from this troll.
  • Who listens to AM radio anymore? Good riddance. Premium connectivity is hardly a requirement. You only need it if you want satellite maps instead of vector ones (hardly necessary - my wife prefers the vector maps) or if you want to stream music not through your phone (again, hardly a necessity). The panel screen is really not cluttered. If you don’t have a heads-up display, all cars require you to take your eyes off the road to see the instruments. As for the garage door opener, comparing with Mercedes is a stretch - most cars don’t have that feature unless you add an option package or buy an elevated trim level to get it. There is a way to “disconnect” - you turn off summon standby and sentry mode, power the car down from the on-screen menu, and refrain from waking it up with the phone app. My car sat for 3 or 4 weeks at the beginning of the Pandemic and lost, at most, 1 or 2%. All you need for L2 charging is a $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger and a dryer outlet. That’s true of just about all electric cars. Just imagine that you are taking the money you’re not spending on oil changes and put that toward a Tesla Wall Connector. Mats - we bought ours on Amazon for about $65. Trays? No one can’t live without 3rd-party trays.
  • > @christineb_98598445 said:
    > We paid Tesla the price of a Mercedes, but we ended up with a stripped down, “sloppy built”
    > • No am radio. After first year, you’ll have to pay Tesla
    > $120/ year to maintain your car’s full connectivity.
    > • Must purchase Premium connectivity. It’s a MUST HAVE. No real choice
    > • You MUST take eyes off road to monitor instruments (class action suit waiting to happen)
    > • Non-adjustable fixed panel screen
    > • Paint too thin – Tesla Cautions, Car must be hand washed
    > • No Spare tire – Aside from a long wait for service, you’ll be stuck if you’re not in a populated area (mountains, desert).
    > • No garage door opener – Must buy extra $300. (Mercedes includes it)
    > • No way to disconnect – save battery during long airport parking
    > • MUST purchase extras from a basic 220 V adapter to basic interior trays, mats, $200 - $300 of incidentals
    > • Parked car – windows retract by themselves
    > • Panels and parts don’t fit together
    > • Tesla cancels 1,000 free Super Charger mile “gift” if not used completely within 6 months
    > • Surprise! Our $100 purchase DEPOSIT, was converted into an order FEE when car was picked-up and final cash balance was paid.
    > • Customer service is non-existent. Phones go to robots.
    > • Only direct email is [email protected]
    > • You Tube positive reviews were purchased. We didn’t see the 18% 1-Star reviews.
    > • POSITIVE NOTE: Fun to drive and lots of power
    > • Other positive: No more stopping for gas.
    > • We own Tesla stock as part of a group. It’s too bad the company isn’t as good as it’s stock performance.
    > • Our next EV will be a Mercedes EV. Worth waiting for.
    >
    >

OK, so lets look at your list....

Stripped down? As compared to what? Didn't you test drive the car beforehand? Did you do no research whatsoever as to the interior of the car?

Sloppy built? My car is still going great. All issues were taken care of by the SC and Rangers. I understood that my car would likely not be up to the standard of some historical marques but it was damn good nonetheless, and apparently getting better and better. Nothing 'sloppy' about my car.

No AM radio...totally unnecessary...if you want local just use an app on your phone (plenty of am and fm apps) and BT to your speakers.

$120 per year for full connectivity. An absolute bargain for me. With all the entertainment options while on longer trips like watching TV while charging and streaming music. If $120 is a lot for you then why did you buy the car?

Taking eyes off road...do you not use mirrors or ever look at your phone? Glancing hardly constitutes class action suit waiting to happen! You do realize that Mercedes are copying Tesla with their huge screen for Navigation etc? As you glance at the nav you cant look at your speed as your eyes go back to the road? Mountain out of a molehill.

Too cluttered? Oh please! The screen on the Tesla is fantastic. f you want cluttered just wait for your new Mercedes! LOL

Paint too thin? Laughable! ALL car manufacturers suggest hand washing to keep paint looking new and scratch free! You don't HAVE to though!

No spare tire? I haven't had a spare tire for 7 years now in 4 new ICE cars. All sportier cars come with inflator and foam.

Garage door opener. Yes, in my Audi I had to buy the 'comfort package' at some $900 extra to get garage door opener...next!

Basic 220v adaptor? A great piece of kit well worth it to me. There are cheaper options but I prefer OEM. DO you think other EV manufacturers give these OEM wall adaptors away for free? Wait until your MB EV if you want to see eye watering prices if they decide to market own brand chargers!

Mats and trays? I had to buy very expensive OEM mats for my Audi SQ5 as the standard ones were only so-so. I'll give you trays as I had to buy one but at least I got to choose from a variety of different ones (I chose a totally open tray as I didn't need little compartments).

Retracting windows? Not on my car unless I press the in door button or use the app.

Panels and parts don't fit together? Why did you accept delivery of the car if the 'parts' don't match up? Was one of the wheels attached to the window? perhaps that is why they retract? Extra weight?

Supercharger miles? 1000 miles...just use them. It's so easy to do so!

Order fee? Yes, I think you'll find that $100 is chicken feed compared to other stealerships that charge all sorts of hidden fees! Think of all the maintenance charges and 'oil changes' you are saving!

Customer service? Phones? Er, use the app to set things up. It's sooo easy.

YouTube positive reviews were purchased? Your credibility just vaporized! LOL

Tesla stock...'too bad the company isn't as good as its stock performance' ? Yes, they just waved their wand and the stock price went up...nothing to do with performance, market belief in the business etc. LOL

Mercedes EV...nice cars for people not ready to drive the future. Good luck!
  • What's driving Tesla stock?

The amount of money they make selling carbon credits.
  • Disrupting and replacing multiple entire industries is what’s driving Tesla’s stock.
  • What's a Mercedes?
  • It’s just another fish sock puppet.
  • The price of Bitcoin.
  • Obviously OP has never purchased a new Mercedes. They option many common things. Really want to pay more for everything, look at Porsche, they option out everything.

As for subscriptions. Mercedes has had an annual connect subscription longer then Tesla had been making cars. Our 2004 e320 had a monthly subscription for connection.
  • $160 to update the maps DVD on Honda Accord. I imagine Mercedes would be much more, but to be honest, I don’t know and don’t care, ever since Tesla arrived on scene.
  • > @Xerogas said:
    > $160 to update the maps DVD on Honda Accord. I imagine Mercedes would be much more, but to be honest, I don’t know and don’t care, ever since Tesla arrived on scene.

Hyundai was close to the same -- and the XM subscription was also about $10/month, I think. We also had XM in our Toyota, and hubby wanted to use the desktop app when he was at work, so we ended up with a $25/month package or so. Now, he's cancelled XM and just uses Spotify on his phone in the Hyundai -- so for $15 (family plan), we have it in the car and anywhere else. We have lifetime connectivity, but if we didn't, we'd still be sitting about the same as before.
  • Getting new map updates on my Audi SQ5 was a painful 'go to dealer' affair and they charged stupid money. Never again. Tesla OTA is the only way forward nowadays!
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Getting new map updates on my Audi SQ5 was a painful 'go to dealer' affair and they charged stupid money. Never again. Tesla OTA is the only way forward nowadays!

Audi map updates are OTA on my A6. The nice thing about the A6 is that I bought a fully mature vehicle that does not need constant OTA updates to have it perform correctly as my other vehicles do or as advertised. Still waiting on my Model 3 to perform as it should or at least as well as my A6. Guessing it never will.
  • Aka fully obsolescent.
  • Solution: Just sell you car, I am pretty sure other dealers would love to see/charge you accordingly.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > > @NorthValley said:
    > > Getting new map updates on my Audi SQ5 was a painful 'go to dealer' affair and they charged stupid money. Never again. Tesla OTA is the only way forward nowadays!
    >
    > Audi map updates are OTA on my A6. The nice thing about the A6 is that I bought a fully mature vehicle that does not need constant OTA updates to have it perform correctly as my other vehicles do or as advertised. Still waiting on my Model 3 to perform as it should or at least as well as my A6. Guessing it never will.

And in the Audi you have to have the PAID subscription service to get the map updates! Not so in the Tesla...all free! Also, you don't get any improvements in your Audi seeing as the only OTA updates are maps you have to PAY for! I got an additional 5% power through an OTA update after only a couple of weeks of ownership! That was like 25hp more for no cost! That is the power of continuous improvement through OTA updates. As for the Audi, it has nothing to do with not needing updating...it simply can't! Of course the 3 will never perform as you say you want it to, because you are paid to bash it. We all know this, no mystery! LOL
  • If someone is paying howard for his “work”, they are not getting their monies worth.
  • Howard is ineffective because his message is falling on deaf ears. The forum is comprised of Tesla enthusiasts who own and enjoy their Tesla car.

It’s like trying to sell the idea of a chastity belt to the little old lady who lived in a shoe.
  • he would likely feel foolish standing outside of the showrooms spouting his nonsense though.