Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

HomeLInk Uninstall/Reinstall

Can a HomeLink be uninstalled from one Tesla( lease return) and reinstalled onto the other Tesla( new lease pick up)?
Thx

Comments

  • Good question. I suspect so, but I've never seen it come up before. I'd ask Tesla service. There is likely some small fee for it, and ideally, both cars would be available at the same time so it doesn't require two service visits.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Good question. I suspect so, but I've never seen it come up before. I'd ask Tesla service. There is likely some small fee for it, and ideally, both cars would be available at the same time so it doesn't require two service visits.

    No answers from Tesla despite my multiple attempts. I am being promised an answer, then crickets
  • It’s behind the front bumper. I would think yes you can. BUT, did it come with the car? Or was it paid for separately. If it came with the car and your remove it there may be problems with the the lease agreement.

    When you buy it it comes with free install. Not sure what they would charge to move it to another car. They may charge you 300 to remove it and reinstall it. You can get a new one for 300 with free install last time I checked.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > It’s behind the front bumper. I would think yes you can. BUT, did it come with the car? Or was it paid for separately. If it came with the car and your remove it there may be problems with the the lease agreement.
    >
    > When you buy it it comes with free install. Not sure what they would charge to move it to another car. They may charge you 300 to remove it and reinstall it. You can get a new one for 300 with free install last time I checked.
    >
    >

    If it came with the car, it stays with the car. No questions about it.
    In my case, it didn't come with the car. I bought it. When i return current lease and assume another one, I want to have it moved to my new Tesla. Can not get a clear answer on it from Tesla. Paying $300 every time I lease another Tesla makes no sense.
  • If your near a SC I would stop in and ask how much to move it to a new car.

    Or if your handy maybe you can remove it yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tesla+model+3+homelink+install

    If you still have the original box and repack it nicely maybe you can show up with it at your new delivery and they will install it for free again. GRIN
  • I wouldn't expect Tesla to install the HomeLink in the new car without charging you a labor fee. The price you paid initially was only for the first installation.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > I wouldn't expect Tesla to install the HomeLink in the new car without charging you a labor fee. The price you paid initially was only for the first installation.

    In complete agreement with your statement of being charged for labor to uninstall/reinstall a HomeLink, willing to pay it.
    If/when Tesla SC tells me Yes, we can do it...it will set you back ...$$...I will stop asking these questions. It appears as going to the nearest SC is the only sure way to find out. I will be doing just that soon.
    Thanks everyone for your replies
  • Just remember it’s $300 new and that includes installation so if the fee is anywhere near that go for the new unit.mm

    https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-automatic-garage-opener
Sign In or Register to comment.