Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Gear position indicator

The gear position indicator (R, N, P, D etc) has been shifted to the lhs of the screen in the most recent update. What is the point of a) changing it and b) moving it to a position that is now further away from the physical control? Is it simply that whoever is responsible was looking for things to change on the grounds there might be a reason for it, without actually being able to think of one?

Can we at least have the option of putting it back in a sensible place?

Why not put your effort into fixing actual bugs - like the second hand on the clock which skips 2 seconds every minute or so.

Comments

• It takes 30 seconds to get used to looking at the new location. And who uses the analog clock anyway - then stares at it to see if the second hand moves properly! There are two digital time displays Get over it or up your OCD medication!
  • Don't try to justify a pointless change.

Tesla appears to work hard to make the user interface less functional and attractive as time goes on.
  • Or they just care more about newer cars, and FSD implementation, than us with older cars.
  • > @barrykmd said:
    > Don't try to justify a pointless change.
    >
    > Tesla appears to work hard to make the user interface less functional and attractive as time goes on.

I’d argue having battery and drive status together and time / temp together is more logical than the previous arrangement!

And how are they making things less functional and attractive?

Just another person who likes pissing and moaning on a forum because it gives you a voice or power you probably don’t have in your feeble life!
  • How long have you had your car? If within the last 3 years, you missed the days of the better interface.

The maps used to be in color. The maps used to indicate normal traffic flow with a green line. Now, if a road is closed, you can't tell. On and on.
  • Year and a half. Yes - green traffic lines would help if road was closed in cases where green lines are typically shown (Not so much on country and secondary roads where I live).
    They can’t make everyone happy with changes and removing the green lines declutters the map. I prefer not seeing them.
    Weigh that against all the new and enhanced features you’ve gotten (maybe no so many if you are an AP1 / MCU1) and compare that to a typical car where you get nothing! Our 6 year old Mercedes still has the terrible nav, original maps which are useless, voice command system that doesn’t understand a word you say.
  • LuckyP52, there are many of us that were some of the first buyers of a Tesla. The original car was great. Then they started changing things that didn't help us earlier buyers. In fact it made many things worse. As a new buyer you could not even start to understand what people like barrykmd and I have had to put up with. The old maps were far superior than the new ALL grey screen unless you use the satellite view.
  • Since July 2013 and that’s complete BS.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7S2H-g60c
  • I used to think the same way as OP. I've gotten used to it, and agree with @LuckyP62 that range and drive mode make sense together. The right hand side has less urgent content for me.
  • I think we could mostly agree if Tesla announced the changes in detail, instead of the old "minor improvements" smoke screen, it would be easier to accept.

For instance, will they update the owners manual to show the new icons placement? They really should.
  • Change is hard.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Since July 2013 and that’s complete BS.
    >
    > https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7S2H-g60c

You got me beat by 11 months June 2014, and your link is not relevant.
  • I wonder if new buyers who only know the left side placement will object if the indicator is moved back to the right side. Life goes on.
  • Please everyone, put it on both sides.
  • Just put in the middle at the bottom...
  • And make it 4" high. Better to eliminate all other visuals too. Nothing is more important! /s

Strange this is the most controversial issue for the Model S. I bet other car companies would dream that they would only have such a mundane issue ;)
  • > @blacktape242 said:
    > Change is hard.

Pointless change is pointless.
  • I'm think there is a point to the change, it just does not apply or benefit those with older cars, MCU1, and no FSD.
  • > @Aerodyne said:
    > I'm think there is a point to the change, it just does not apply or benefit those with older cars, MCU1, and no FSD.

My guess would be they didn't want to have to figure out different screens for different models. There's plenty of real estate there but they wanted to be different than other car manufactures.
  • There are already different screens. Bighonn's pre-AP vintage car has a very nice looking screen with a big dial on it. Was the gear indicator moved in those cars?
  • Bought my first S same month as Bighorn. I have no problem with the shift (pun intended) of the gear selector to the left side. I use the analog clock (despite the lousy design) because it's easier for me to read at a glance. Now, why can't they replace one of the two digital clocks, preferably the one in the driver's binnacle, with day and date? Or at least make it driver selectable? Or replace the analog clock with those and maybe some other useful info? Try as I do, I still can't get an explanation from Tesla for this.
  • No idea. Who looks at gear shift indicators with 300k+ miles of muscle memory?
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > No idea. Who looks at gear shift indicators with 300k+ miles of muscle memory?

Do you have a problem looking so other members might know?

@thranx
    It would be nice if they had a clock with the day of the week along with the date and time. Digital format.
  • Just like they used to have. Tesla - BRING THIS BACK!