Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model S safety

Are Tesla’s truly safe? Do you guys ever get worried about the battery catching fire?

Comments

• Yes
    No
  • Yawn! Don't worry about it any more than a gas car catching on fire.
  • Catching fire is far safer than exploding. Batteries can burn, it is very unlikely, but the car actually says get out! Gas cars explode in the extreme which is far worse.
  • Are cars that burn gasoline truly safe?
  • Yes
    No
    Was more worried about the BMW catching fire in the garage because that was a thing for years. Taycan, too. Tesla, not so much
  • In the industry, Tesla's cars are considered some of the safest cars you car drive...

1) Every Tesla vehicle has a 5-star crash safety rating across the board.
    2) Tesla vehicles include a number of collision avoidance systems, without extra costs (i.e. standard).
    3) If Tesla can add additional safety via a software update, they do it for free to all cars.

There are a number of crash events where the owners walked away from the accident, wherein those in other vehicles in the same circumstances would have been severely injured or killed.

EV battery fires have occurred, but are quite rare. They are slow to start and are outside the cabin. People have minutes to exit the car. With ICE cars, the frequency of fires is many times higher and unfortunately, in an accident often the car quickly engulfed in flames before the occupants can get out.

There are so many ICE vehicle fires, they rarely reported on the news anymore. EV fires are so rare, they often make the news.
  • Here in Atlanta car fires on the interstates are fairly common. I am just fine with my big battery!
  • Here in SoCal ICE car fires, especially in the summer afternoons, are fairly common. A major source of brush fires too.

We call them "Carbeque"
  • On road trips, it’s very common to see a shoulder fire. Car, pick up, garbage truck, RV. Never an EV in all these years.
  • No chance of carbon monoxide poisoning either. There were hundreds of CO poisoning cases in Houston (not all automotive), including a few deaths.