Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model Y "Doesn't Meet Standard of Excellence." Upgrade options?

Just got the standard range model Y, just in time for it to be discontinued because apparently, it isn't a worthy model in the Tesla family. As Elon said, "It doesn't meet the Tesla standard of excellence." (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1363946797945679875) I feel like that acknowledgment by Musk alone just clipped thousands of dollars off of the actual value of the car.

So what are the options here? Can we replace the battery to increase the range or something? Kind of feel like I just bought a lemon.

Comments

• He was talking about the range
  • Yes. He’s talking about range. Where in the EV world. Range is king. It was not a popular option for many people and was clearly not worth it from a production standpoint.

If you were aware of all this car has to offer when you bought it. Then you should feel good about it!

You did not buy a lemon…..
  • Its should have same value for you as it had when u ordered it. I ordered SR version too and eagerly waiting for it. Actually it might hold its value since this is cheapest Tesla SUV and there are not too many out there like this :). Think positive and enjoy your car.
  • Took delivery of the SR Model Y a month ago. Other than the smaller battery and having one less motor, it is no other way "inferior" to the long range model for what we use it for. Came standard with the premium interior and also the heated steering wheel. Have thoroughly enjoyed it and have never used more than 100 miles of range in any single day. With any purchase, make sure you do your homework and buy what's appropriate for your needs. Don't rely on factors outside your control (Elon's tweets) to dictate your personal enjoyment of your vehicle.
  • I owned a M3 SR+ for two years and at 1st I was nervous about the range. But we drove that car all over the country and never had any range anxiety as super chargers are never more then 150 miles apart or so. Only down side is more charging stops but I usually stop a lot when I travel anyways. So I decided the SR MY would be great for me and took delivery last week. Its awesome having the better audio and heated wheel. I'm looking forward to my 1st road trip in it!
  • At this point in time I would agree that the MYSR is not up to Tesla standards, range wise.
    I used Tesla Trip Planner to map a route from Palm Springs, CA to Moab, UT. There was one leg between Superchargers that was 248 miles - Flagstaff, AZ to Blanding, UT. The MYSR would never make it and it might be right on the edge for the MYLR, depending on weather and other factors.
    There may be 3rd party or destination chargers along the route but I'd feel more comfortable knowing that I can make it from point A to point B by using SuperChargers exclusively.
  • Seems kind of ridiculous that they killed the MY LR RWD, then. Thats the one I really wanted, but went with the short range after my order from 4/2019 was canceled. I didn't get the LR AWD, because i live in california and the weather is never really a factor and also 60K on a vehicle seems insane to me.
  • Heyiboughtesla:
    As mentioned, Elon was referring to The less than 250 mile range.
    Oh, and it’s not been discontinued. Elon said it’s still available but only by request.
  • > @"David N" said:
    > Heyiboughtesla:
    > As mentioned, Elon was referring to The less than 250 mile range.
    > Oh, and it’s not been discontinued. Elon said it’s still available but only by request.
    >

I would imagine that the SR Y will only be “off menu” for a temporary time and them be discontinued like the SR 3 was though.
  • > @JCE said:
    > > @"David N" said:
    > > Heyiboughtesla:
    > > As mentioned, Elon was referring to The less than 250 mile range.
    > > Oh, and it’s not been discontinued. Elon said it’s still available but only by request.
    > >
    >
    > I would imagine that the SR Y will only be “off menu” for a temporary time and them be discontinued like the SR 3 was though.

I think it’s already off, the off menu. According to reports.
  • This could all be fixed if Elon learned how to communicate better. His choice in words is unfortunate at times. It would appear that he is now the PR Dept. for the company. Again, this is unfortunate.
  • HeyboughtaTesla - I took delivery of my Standard Range MY three weeks ago. Very happy with the car. I think i got a great car for a good price. Those of us who snagged one are lucky. The range is quite workable with superchargers in most of the US. Heck, i used to drive a Model S 60 with 208 miles range and that worked out just fine.
  • Just got my standard range model Y on 1/31/2021, now finding out i could have purchased it for 2K less and then it gets discontinued likely due to not meeting range exspectations. My car gets only 172 miles on a full charge, As Elon said, "It doesn't meet the Tesla standard of excellence." (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1363946797945679875) I also feel like that acknowledgment by Musk alone just clipped thousands of dollars off of the actual value of the car.

So what are our options here, i think Tesla (Elon) should at least give us back some cash or super charger credits or 20k more miles on our warranty that would be the cool thing to do?
  • Beyond the SR MY, everyone should be concerned about the helter-skelter way models and pricing are handled. There is simply no justification for it. It is my hope that we see Elon move toward distributing the power to set policies, rather than concentrate power to himself.
  • I heard they're hiring a person who will moderate Elon tweets :D
  • > @"Coastal Cruiser." said:
    > Beyond the SR MY, everyone should be concerned about the helter-skelter way models and pricing are handled. There is simply no justification for it. It is my hope that we see Elon move toward distributing the power to set policies, rather than concentrate power to himself.

Wut
  • I also feel like a lot of you that I bought a "Lemon", and this after only having received it for a WEEK! I Truly feel that we should get compensated in some way, either the new battery range or some other incentive that would match the money we are losing? I called Tesla to have someone contact me with no response from anyone, which is frustrating. I do understand that it's not their fault, but there should be some type of acknowledgement from Tesla knowing that this decision was already in the works (at least when I purchased my "Y"), that I should have been notified about this prior to receiving it!
  • > @MikeO said:
    > I also feel like a lot of you that I bought a "Lemon", and this after only having received it for a WEEK! I Truly feel that we should get compensated in some way, either the new battery range or some other incentive that would match the money we are losing? I called Tesla to have someone contact me with no response from anyone, which is frustrating. I do understand that it's not their fault, but there should be some type of acknowledgement from Tesla knowing that this decision was already in the works (at least when I purchased my "Y"), that I should have been notified about this prior to receiving it!
    >

Known about what? Did you post in the wrong thread?
  • We only had ours a couple of days when the word came out on SR Y being discontinued. Overall it's not a huge deal, since it's a really nice car, but I do worry about resale value being impacted. But ultimately who knows how much the long term impact to value will be? It would be nice if they'd somehow compensate us with some freebies or something. But I'm over being upset and happy with the car.
  • > @LD34677 said:
    > We only had ours a couple of days when the word came out on SR Y being discontinued. Overall it's not a huge deal, since it's a really nice car, but I do worry about resale value being impacted. But ultimately who knows how much the long term impact to value will be? It would be nice if they'd somehow compensate us with some freebies or something. But I'm over being upset and happy with the car.

Isn’t the resale value higher because you have a unicorn?
  • > @Maxxer said:
    > > @LD34677 said:
    > > We only had ours a couple of days when the word came out on SR Y being discontinued. Overall it's not a huge deal, since it's a really nice car, but I do worry about resale value being impacted. But ultimately who knows how much the long term impact to value will be? It would be nice if they'd somehow compensate us with some freebies or something. But I'm over being upset and happy with the car.
    >
    > Isn’t the resale value higher because you have a unicorn?

Agreed. Demand is going to beat the supply. I’d feel good about having a vehicle thousands were trying to order but only a small handful got!
  • > @kneught said:
    > > @Maxxer said:
    > > > @LD34677 said:
    > > > We only had ours a couple of days when the word came out on SR Y being discontinued. Overall it's not a huge deal, since it's a really nice car, but I do worry about resale value being impacted. But ultimately who knows how much the long term impact to value will be? It would be nice if they'd somehow compensate us with some freebies or something. But I'm over being upset and happy with the car.
    > >
    > > Isn’t the resale value higher because you have a unicorn?
    >
    > Agreed. Demand is going to beat the supply. I’d feel good about having a vehicle thousands were trying to order but only a small handful got!

That makes sense! Thanks