Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Choose media from phone

I've had my M3 since September and totally love it, but I do have one problem. If I haven't been in the car for awhile (several hours or more), when I want to listen to some music from my iPhone SE's music library, I often get this message: "Choose media from phone." So, instead of just pressing play on the touchscreen, I have to first pull my phone out of my pocket, open up iTunes and press play. I've never had this problem with the three other cars I've owned that had bluetooth connectivity with my iPhone. It's not a big deal, just mildly annoying, and I'm wondering if there is a solution to my problem.

Comments

• Where does that message appear? Could it be that your phone is not using the Tesla as the speaker device? Next time the message appears, check the Bluetooth settings on your phone and see if the Tesla is selected as the speaker device.
  • Never had that happen on my Android. If you want to try and analyze it you would need to post the exact steps you need to do to repeat it. Including steps like getting into the car and if you start driving first, if you use pin to drive. What you do when you leave the car.

When I get out I just close the door and walk away. When I come back sometimes my music starts automatically where it left off sometimes it doesn't. I suspect it has to do with what I do with my phone at the office. I ?think? if I clear notifications it will not resume when I get back in the car. But never tested it. But I do not have the issue you have.

Have you also updated your phones IOS?
  • > @EVRider said:
    > Where does that message appear? Could it be that your phone is not using the Tesla as the speaker device? Next time the message appears, check the Bluetooth settings on your phone and see if the Tesla is selected as the speaker device.

The message appears in the sub-window that pops up after I touch the music note icon at the bottom of the touch screen. The car always recognizes my phone as the key when I open the door, but it seems to forget about the phone's music library if it's been more than several hours since I was last in the car. On the other hand, if I am playing music from my iPhone, then stop the car to run a short errand, and then get back to the car after a few minutes and get in, it has no trouble recognizing my music library and playing the songs. It's as if the car has long term memory loss when it comes to remembering my music library. I will, however check the Bluetooth settings on my phone the next time the message appears.
  • I don't stream music from my phone via Bluetooth, but I have noticed that sometimes my phone doesn't connect via Bluetooth when I get in the car. I've gotten into the habit of checking the Bluetooth settings every time I get in the car. This may be what's happening to you. The phone key continues to work as expected.

Do you have multiple driver profiles? That might make it more likely to happen. My wife and I each have a profile in the Model 3, and they don't always work reliably.
  • I’ve had the exact same experience with my 3 and iPhone. Seems to happen every third or forth time. I’ve researched it and sadly have found no guidance.
  • EVrider had the solution. My iPhone's bluetooth wasn't set up to recognize the car. So, I rectified that, and the problem has gone away. Thanks