Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Looking to upgrade to 20" tires/wheels from tssportsline, how much range loss?

Hi,

I currently have M3 SR+ with Aero 18 and no hub caps, if I move into 20" wheels, will my range loss be the same as the 18's with no hub caps or even worse? If worse, about how much? Tire range on the same 20" 235's, ie. 30k or 40k miles? My commute is 2.5hrs each weekday. Thanks, Murph

Comments

• Definitely worse, but hard to quantify. I'd guess about 3-4% range loss from the 18" without hub caps. If the tires are not LRR, then another 3% loss or so.

While the change you are suggesting sounds like it would look cool, and handling is sure to improve, you do realize the ride could be quite harsh? It's the curse of low-profile tires. If you encounter bad potholes, low profile tires (on any car) have a tendency to blow out far easier than non-low profile tires.
  • I got the 20" staggered from tsportline. LR RWD. Range loss was negligible to me at least, not a concern. Taking corners with the pilot sport a/s 3+s is a beautiful thing. Looks are aggressive too, zero regrets.

Down side, cracked a rim hitting a pothole first snow fall 2 years ago, so I swap the 18s for the winter now. I barely notice a difference in ride 18s to 20s, I mean it's like if I focus on it maybe I notice. Not as drastic as it sounds, again my experience and I prefer to feel the road. If you like a plush ride may annoy you more I guess.

19s are probably the happy medium for year round if you have pothole concerns, but I do look forward to the 20s each spring, they are just bad ass!

Hope this helps.
  • > @Spartan-117 said:
    > I got the 20" staggered from tsportline. LR RWD. Range loss was negligible to me at least, not a concern. Taking corners with the pilot sport a/s 3+s is a beautiful thing. Looks are aggressive too, zero regrets.
    >
    > Down side, cracked a rim hitting a pothole first snow fall 2 years ago, so I swap the 18s for the winter now. I barely notice a difference in ride 18s to 20s, I mean it's like if I focus on it maybe I notice. Not as drastic as it sounds, again my experience and I prefer to feel the road. If you like a plush ride may annoy you more I guess.
    >
    > 19s are probably the happy medium for year round if you have pothole concerns, but I do look forward to the 20s each spring, they are just bad ass!
    >
    > Hope this helps.

any pics? was thinking staggered but i have a big so rotation is key
  • Conventional wisdom says the 20s would have noticeably more harsh a ride than the 18s, but I can barely tell the difference, personally.
  • > @mmurphy69 said:
    > > @Spartan-117 said:
    > > I got the 20" staggered from tsportline. LR RWD. Range loss was negligible to me at least, not a concern. Taking corners with the pilot sport a/s 3+s is a beautiful thing. Looks are aggressive too, zero regrets.
    > >
    > > Down side, cracked a rim hitting a pothole first snow fall 2 years ago, so I swap the 18s for the winter now. I barely notice a difference in ride 18s to 20s, I mean it's like if I focus on it maybe I notice. Not as drastic as it sounds, again my experience and I prefer to feel the road. If you like a plush ride may annoy you more I guess.
    > >
    > > 19s are probably the happy medium for year round if you have pothole concerns, but I do look forward to the 20s each spring, they are just bad ass!
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    >
    > any pics? was thinking staggered but i have a big so rotation is key

Did you lower the car at all?