Model X

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Model X Uneven Tire Wear

To our surprise we recently had a rear tire blow out on us. Our car has around 45,000 km on it. After inspection the tire was heavily worn on the inside with very little wear towards the outside edge. Every tire was this way and were very close to blowing as well. I replaced the Scorpion tires with Nokians and Kal Tire told me the wheels are significantly out of alignment and it must have been from the factory. The 3 remaining tires were bald on the inside which explains why I was always sliding around in the snow. I purchased the Scorpion tires and rims from Tesla. They installed them 2 years ago and the car has been in service since then so it shocks me that they did not notice the uneven wear on the tires, or the misalignment.

I have the car in for service today at Tesla for an alignment and they are trying to tell me that this uneven wear is normal, especially if the suspension is set too low. They said it is a common complaint for Model X owners because the car is so heavy. I'm not believing this because my Ford Edge is nearly identical in weight and my Nokians have lasted 10 years and over 130,000km on that vehicle. I'm not convinced that I am going to have to replace my tires every 1-2 years on the X and feel there is either a design flaw leading to the alignment issue, or they set it incorrectly from the factory. Either way I'm fairly upset that I had to spend $1,600 CAD on a new set of tires after only 2 years and 45,000 km. This is not an ongoing cost that makes sense for this vehicle. I am wondering if anyone else has seen similar alignment and uneven wear on their tires. If so, have you had any luck with a warranty claim on the tires?

Photos of all the tires are found on my Video:

https://youtu.be/QSO3Q2qRB6o

Comments

• 43K km = 27K miles. That's a good life for the tires. I doubt there is an alignment issue, but it's always good to have one done every so often. You can get other tires that are as hard as nails and may last 2 times longer or more, but the handling will be poor. It's all tradeoffs long-life vs handling and comfort. Tesla elected to go more with handling and comfort. Other automakers may elect to go a different way.

It sounds like you didn't rotate the tires, which would have provided a more even wear. Generally, tires should be rotated every 6K miles (10 km).

I presume you have the 18" tires? The 20" will wear even quicker, as they use a softer compound for even better handling. Those can wear out as fast as 12K miles, depending on your style of driving. This is not Tesla-specific. Low-profile performance tires (20") will wear quickly. On my NSX a while back, a set of tires lasted 8K miles, and that's without pushing the car hard and no track time.