Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Dashcam only works in park/sentry mode

Just got the car and have been enjoying it so far. My only concern is that I can only get my camera to record anything while parked with sentry mode on. While I'm driving, the dot on the dashcam icon is gray and clicking it just highlights the dashcam icon without letting me save video or record. Has anyone else experienced this? I've got the builtin 128 GB flashdrive plugged into the glovebox USB port, do I need a second one in the center console area or something? I've followed all the guides and tutorials I've been able to find online and in the owner's manual. Has anyone else run into this? Have a service appointment scheduled, but it's not till next month and I'm just worried about not having a dashcam till then.

Comments

• Did you try doing a long press on the icon? I believe that will turn the recording on.

teslafan.net
  • same here it doesn't records while driving on when car is parked don't know why called a dash cam.
  • Same to me. Received mine 2 days ago. Dashcam recording only while in sentry mode, not driving. Tried tapping and long pressing, both didn't help. Remain in missing red dot dashcam icon (means PAUSED). Does anyone have solution for this issue?
  • I think you are seeing the sentry icon only. you should see a round sentry icon only in park with a red dot........... and a square icon for the dashcam while in drive.......the sentry icon will still be there in drive but the red dot will disappear. if you dont see the square camera icon in drive, remove and reinsert the usb flash drive in the glovebox
  • > @mislead said:
    > I think you are seeing the sentry icon only. you should see a round sentry icon only in park with a red dot........... and a square icon for the dashcam while in drive.......the sentry icon will still be there in drive but the red dot will disappear. if you dont see the square camera icon in drive, remove and reinsert the usb flash drive in the glovebox

correction......the sentry icon will not appear while in drive, only park
  • > @mislead said:
    > I think you are seeing the sentry icon only. you should see a round sentry icon only in park with a red dot........... and a square icon for the dashcam while in drive.......the sentry icon will still be there in drive but the red dot will disappear. if you dont see the square camera icon in drive, remove and reinsert the usb flash drive in the glovebox

The round sentry icon with a red dot appears when sentry mode activates (only PARK). The square camera with a red dot on it when recording happens as per owner's manual. As long as USB flash drive inserted, the square camera will always be displayed.
    As I having the camera icon without red dot on it during driving, then
    Verified and confirmed that the recording was not happening by checking the 'LAUNCH VIEWER' and no driving(on the move) footage was found.
  • I had the exact same issue. Got the Tesla USB in glovebox, tried multiple formats on screen and on Mac. Using Mac, Formatted exfat and fat32. After formatting on Mac, it used to work randomly and always works if I unplug and plug it back. Finally, gave up and got the Samsung T7 SSD and it’s been 10 days and have zero issues.
  • there are major bugs with the dashcam reliability that tesla is aware of. its a software issue so don't worry too much yet. I expect it will be fixed with the next significant software update. mine worked perfect on the much older software and went buggy around the 2020.48 ish version but tesla is aware of many intermittent bugs, that's why we are getting bug fixes every few days now
  • > @mislead said:
    > there are major bugs with the dashcam reliability that tesla is aware of. i

And that's why you are "mislead," you POS troll.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > > @mislead said:
    > > there are major bugs with the dashcam reliability that tesla is aware of. i
    >
    > And that's why you are "mislead," you POS troll.

lol. I hurt your feelings because I repeated exactly what my mobile service guy told me.......TESLA IS AWARE. if your ego can't handle the truth then take your ball and go home
  • No hurt feelings, just anger at the incessant BS parade
  • couldn't agree more