Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Charging when travelling

All - this is my second coase-to-coast on 2020 Model 3, and I am still looking for the best (for the battery and the car) way to charge. There are many superchargers nowadays, and we have a choice to skip 1 or 2 (with 90% at the start) vs. more frequent stops (with 40-50% battery on each). I am yet to find the recommendations and/or best practices. Any ideas?

Comments

• Good to see someone comment on the problems of sitting for long periods of time driving. I suffered DVT (and survived) back when I made 5 hour drives in my ICE days, because I could (21 gallon tank in a 4-cylinder Subaru).
  • Drink a lot of water (I have kidney issues that require a lot of water intake) and you won't worry about when to supercharge. Your bladder will dictate that, and you'll never have range anxiety.
  • Calculate the route with ABRP (A Better Route Planner, https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ).
  • Even without drinking a lot of water, the range of my S100D exceeds the range of my bladder. 🙂
  • When I go on long drives, I noticed that if I have soda or caffeine containg drinks, I have to go to the bathroom 90 minutes later. But if I drink water, I am not affected as much.
    When doing 1000 Mike trips with just one stop for gas, I would drink a few energy drinks about 400 and 900 miles into the trip so that bathroom and gas breaks occurred at the same time.
    Now with the Tesla it doesn't matter since I have to stop every 4 hours so I just have a drink 90 minutes beforehand and have enough of a caffeine buzz to drive 24 hours from FL to VT non stop and take 30 minute naps when supercharging if I get tired.
  • With covid, i still stop a lot to charge, but in an effort to quarantine, and in conjunction with a lack of facilities, I got “bathroom” breaks down to one at midnight. Cover of night, mind over matter.
  • I traveled from FL to VT right when everything started shutting down about a year ago. I "watered" some bushes around a few Superchargers. The Tesla sales office in Paramus NJ was closed and their bathroom was closed when I stopped there. Luckily a sandwich place was open right next to them. Too bad we cant use our key cards to unlock bathroom faculties at superchargers if they are at Tesla sales or service locations.
    The Inn in Santee SC has superchargers in the back and they keep a hotel room unlocked during the day so Tesla Owners can use its bathroom. Guess that will end if they find people crashing in the bed or using the bathroom to take a shower on long trips.
  • > @hgmichna said:
    > Calculate the route with ABRP (A Better Route Planner, https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ).

Have you used this?

I was wondering how accurate it is. I’ve been running some routes through and found there is less charging time on the trip if the state of charge on arrival at the charger is around 15%.

I don’t currently have a Tesla, but looking to get a Model Y soon.
  • ABRP seems to be quite accurate. Of course, if you are forced to drive more slowly long enough, you will end up with more remaining charge than predicted.

ABRP is very clever in picking optimal routes and optimal charging to minimize total traveling time.
  • To me it all depends on the route and timing. I will generally try to skip non-convenient chargers - ones in big cities or off the highway a bit. Also, if I have taken a bit longer break for a meal I can usually skip the next charger after that. For a couple of roadtrips that I took I made up a spreadsheet with each charger along the way, distance to the next one, food and other items near each, # of stalls & power, distance from exit, etc. The food part is really helpful as I have stopped at many where there really isn't anything convenient to eat.
  • @Bighorn @Tesla2018
    Thank you for sharing your covid traveling techniques :) I'm glad I'm not alone in adopting safe traveling practices.
  • > @akgolf said:
    > > @hgmichna said:
    > > Calculate the route with ABRP (A Better Route Planner, https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ ).
    >
    > Have you used this?
    >
    > I was wondering how accurate it is. I’ve been running some routes through and found there is less charging time on the trip if the state of charge on arrival at the charger is around 15%.
    >
    > I don’t currently have a Tesla, but looking to get a Model Y soon.
    >

So the lower the battery is the quicker it charges, then once it reaches about 70ish % it slows down and takes a bit longer to charge. That's why this app has you stop more than the Tesla planner and it's quicker in theory. though, if the charger is not quickly accessible off the route or their is a line then you may have caused some problems by using this planner....
  • When you use ABetterRoutePlanner are you using it on your phone or the cars browser? Do you have the Tesla Nav going and your phone with ABRP at the same time?
  • ABBR planner is something you use to plan your trip, I look at it at home before leaving. If you are on a multi-day trip using the phone app can be done while you are having breakfast and deciding on the day's route.
  • Those apps are training wheels. Totally unnecessary with experience.
  • Says the man with the most experience of all. When I reach your dizzying heights of experience, I'll throw away my crutches. ;)
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > Those apps are training wheels. Totally unnecessary with experience.

Yet another slight to those of us trying to learn. I have to ask Bighorn, Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound.
  • > @pdeputy_98632289 said:
    > > @Bighorn said:
    > > Those apps are training wheels. Totally unnecessary with experience.
    >
    > Yet another slight to those of us trying to learn. I have to ask Bighorn, Can you leap tall buildings in a single bound.

That's not a slight at all, using the Tesla onboard route planner and basic common sense is all that's required. I'm not someone who takes risks when traveling with my kids, and have decent bit of road trip experience, ~70k; onboard planner is just fine even for a SR car.

If you have inclement weather no tool can compensate for your own judgement.
  • Not a slight. Just a fact that the Nav provides all you need. Nothing wrong with training wheels before realizing that. Just don’t accept that what we have been given is inadequate.
  • Basically, worry about you more than the car. Stop when your body OR the car tells you to.
  • That’s the hard lesson. My body is capable of a 5 hour travel leg; my Model 3, not so much.
  • I agree with @Bighorn but he could have put it more politely. Teslas really don't need much of any special kid-gloves handling. Just drive it like you would any car.
  • Kid gloves? Well I never!

Carl comes back after a multi year absence for this? Wow.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > ...
    > Carl comes back after a multi year absence for this? Wow.

I read they were shutting down the forums so I wanted to check it out one last time before they do. In some respects the forum has not changed at all and that's unfortunate. There's still an undercurrent of reality-bending conspiracy theories.

While you and I have certainly had our disagreements I don't quite put you in that group. I you and your car(s) are doing well.