Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Coating/sealant

Hi,

I'm going to receive my very first Tesla MY in a week. I came across few topics related to putting on wax/coating for the car. I never had to do anything like this in any of my previous cars so I want to know if this is necessary especially for Tesla? If yes, what do you recommend? What some wax/coating did you do? Is this easy enough where we can do at home?

Comments

• Don't be a sheep. There is nothing you HAVE to do. Just do the same exact thing you have done with your previous cars. The only difference between a Tesla and your previous cars is the propulsion system.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Don't be a sheep. There is nothing you HAVE to do. Just do the same exact thing you have done with your previous cars. The only difference between a Tesla and your previous cars is the propulsion system.
    >

First Tesla/new owner. Just curious why I keep hearing and reading about how fragile the paint is on Teslas and how you have to baby them when you wash them. Do I really need to be that concerned?
  • Tesla paint is not special. During the first few weeks, it's possibly a bit more fragile. After it has fully cured, it isn't special.
    There are examples of paint application being too thin, but I don't know if this makes it more fragile.
  • RobbW, keep this in mind when reading anything online. It is just the old "telephone game" on steroids. A small group of people mention something and then a whole lot of people chime in about it and suddenly it becomes a serious issue.

Often the people that are complaining are those that are anal retentive about any marks on their paint. I am not saying that their focus is bad, but to them it is a big deal and the voice there opinions online and as I said, it turns into a whole issue when really it is just an issue for those that are seriously focused on paint.

If you only care that the car looks clean and glossy, then don't worry about what others say. My car is now 7 years old with 186,000 miles and people still compliment me on how good the car looks. If you get within 2 feet of the car, you will see plenty of minor spiderweb like scratches.

Lastly, many of these postings about soft paint and the need for special products are pushed by detailing shops.
  • If you want to see what my car looks like, go to my club's website at www.teslaownersct.com, then click on the Miles High tab. It is the dark blue car.
  • Thank you, you guys just convinced me. Too much readings online is unhealthy... :smiley:
  • Tesla owners take delivery sometimes just days after manufacture. That's probably why people have complained about "fragile" paint. Tesla doesn't make paint nor clearcoat, just gotta wait for it to fully cure before picking at stuff with your nail or using heavy elbow grease when you wash.

Also the front bumper will show the stone chips that were previously eaten by the condenser/intercooler/radiator on an ICE vehicle. If I do any special treatment, it'll be some ppf on the front cover.. maybe just to cover the center portion since bumpers are a PITA to wrap.
  • As with any car you are going to want to protect your paint with wax, a paint sealant, or ceramic coating. Ceramic coatings are great because they last the longest and make it easier to wash your car. There are simple coatings such as the ceramic spray coatings made by Adam’s Polishes that will last up to a year, easy to apply, and add a ton of gloss. It it just as easy to apply and remove as a wax.

Good luck and enjoy your Tesla.
  • I bought the two bucket kit from Jay Leno’s Garage. It’s a little pricey, but they had a video of one of their guys using the kit to detail a Mclaren P1 and I bought the hype. The quality of the products is great especially their ceramic coating. It’s shockingly easy to apply and you can really feel the difference in the finish before and after. I only applied it a week ago so I can’t comment on it durability.
  • > @RobbW said:
    > > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > > Don't be a sheep. There is nothing you HAVE to do. Just do the same exact thing you have done with your previous cars. The only difference between a Tesla and your previous cars is the propulsion system.
    > >
    >
    > First Tesla/new owner. Just curious why I keep hearing and reading about how fragile the paint is on Teslas and how you have to baby them when you wash them. Do I really need to be that concerned?

NOP! none of my previous cars sandblasted the lower section of the rear door like the MY does. After only 6000KM that section of the car feels like sandpaper, get it coated or you will have to get it repainted very soon!