Solar Panels

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

How to read the app UI

Hi,

I see some posts that conflict with what I was told from Tesla regarding the app. I only have solar panels and no Powerwall or Blasters which Tesla told me are not installed anymore.

As you can see below, I see spikes in the graph in my app like this. Can someone clarify if the 8.9 kW Output that is showing in the app is net power sent to the grid after subtracting my home consumption? If it is just gross output from the panels, how does everyone else without Blasters calculate the real time net input to the grid (panel generation - home usage) as I was told by Tesla not to read the meter?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_5fpZ7Tb0RN0vjKCEX2zOOcVRgvuy8k0/view?usp=sharing

Also, I see a18kw spike when my system is a 12kw system. How is this possible? Reporting or hardware issue?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOd9F-hjZ9dQX8JQcKgS2RziyENPW9NB/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Spikes are typical with dark clouds moving over the panels, but it doesn't go up and down quite like that. Sorry, I don't know what might be causing that.
  • To be more accurate, not dark clouds, but the shadows of dark clouds!
  • You can calculate home consumption yourself, if your utility gives daily net energy flow. That information is usually available through your utility's website.

Home consumption equals solar PV production *minus* utility net flow. Treat utility net flow *into* your house as a negative number.

Do note that you probably won't be able to use monthly figures for the above calculation, because Tesla uses calendar months, and your utility might use "billing months" that don't line up with the calendar. That's why daily data might be best. A spreadsheet program is useful, too.

It's a pain in the posterior, but it can be done.
  • Thanks Greg. PG&E does show me the total consumption by hour. I will subtract the hourly generation from the Tesla app and figure out where my gap is. Apparently, PG&E is kicking me off of the E1 plan in June so I have select a TOU or EVA2 plan which all comes down to where the consumption happens the most outside of the peak hours/days which is really the only differences between those plans. Also, I learned from PG&E that with net metering, this calculation only matters if you use more than you generate and the usage of more than you generate depending on the times is what affects the rate (hence choosing the right TOU plan). I just thought there was an easier way to monitor home consumption.
  • There are third-party solutions that are similar to a PowerBlaster, but they can suffer from the same compatibility limitations. One such product is Sense. Unfortunately, it won't report through the Tesla app, so you'd still be stuck doing some of your own calculations, such as Offset.