Energy Products

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Storm Watch in Phoenix

Around 3pm today I got a notification that storm watch was activated due to fire risk in the area (I live in central Phoneix so no real fire risk but I guess a fire somewhere could impact overall power system). I turned it off as had plenty of battery backup. I turned it back on tonight to check and Storm watch still appears to be activated and seemed to charge my battery from grid. Anyone else in same situation?

Comments

• Storm watch's whole purpose is to charge the battery from the grid to ensure your batteries are full in case of an outage.
  • > @Dodgerking said:
    > Storm watch's whole purpose is to charge the battery from the grid to ensure your batteries are full in case of an outage.

I certainly appreciate the purpose of Storm watch but I was just surprised at reasoning being due to fire and wondered if others had received same notification... we seem to be experiencing some strong winds now so that may have been the reasoning... had plenty of sun so did not really need to charge from grid but nice to see it in action and that it worked!
  • Yes. I get storm watch triggered all the time for red flag and high wind warnings. These warnings can and often do result in power outages. Any event warning that can cause an outage triggers storm watch. It doesn't matter if there is sun or not. Smoke can impeded solar production. Any wind warning that can cause outage can occur when it is cloudy or partially cloudy as well as sunny, reducing solar production. It can occur towards the end of the day when there is not much solar time left, or at the beginning before the sun can fully charge the batteries. Because there are so many variables that are impossible to predict if solar production will be maximized or reduced, any event that can cause an outage will allow your PW to charge from the grid.