Its been a few weeks since I elected to get the MCU2 Infotainment upgrade and WOW. I wanted to share some details since even my Service Advisor wasn't able to tell me the right info - including the free upgrade to the full self driving computer. I have a Dec 2016 Model X that had autopilot 2.0 and the MCU1. Total cost is $1500 installed.
I always balked at the price, thinking it would just improve maps and nav. I am shocked at how many improvements there are, way more than what is advertised on tesla's page that describes the upsell. I thought this could help others as they consider it..... so away we go:
- the obvious main one is the screen response and processing. Its most noticeable in the maps and nav. That was one of my biggest issues why I chose to upgrade, and now its very fast. Similar to an ipad pro with just a tiny lag. Pinch and zoom on maps is almost instant also. LTE service seems to be stronger. Web browser is the same but we all have cell phones, not a big feature for me
- screen clarity is definitely sharper but only minimal it seems. Does appear brighter even when on lower brightness. Netflix video quality is awesome, full HD
- added access to video games, netflix, youtube, hulu. Only available during park/charging. Not sure how much I will actually use these features
- addition of Sentry mode and dashcam. This was a coveted feature I always wish I had in my 16 and now I have it. My Service Advisor didn't even know this and there is no mention of it on the tesla page about infotainment. Wondering maybe he was just new. This new feature alone is worth a chunk of the upgrade cost! So great to finally have this feature which includes HD video from 4 different cameras during any sentry trigger. Hard to put a price on peace of mind for any theft or damage.
- voice commands. Whoa! Again unexpected, and originally this feature was completely useless on my 2016. I never even used it because it was so slow and often would not translate my commands correctly. Now the response is immediate thanks to the brand new computer. Combined with quick maps/navigation processing, I find myself using this a ton more.
- Full self driving computer! Of course it doesn't give you the 10K upgrade but it includes an upgraded AP computer to the newest FSD AP3.0. On my daily 100 mile drive to/from work, I have noticed a much smoother AP experience going from 2.0 to 3.0. Another feature worth a lot. In addition, under the AP settings it gives you the chance to turn on the 'Full Self Driving Visualizations'. Basically it adds stop signs, real time traffic lights, cones, trash cans (is hitting trash cans a serious issue?). Although the features seem gimmicky at times, I am excited my car has the latest and greatest AP computer even though its 5 years old. And if I did want to upgrade to FSD or test the monthly option, good to know the computer is already there. I think thats the real reason they do this, so its a quick OTA upgrade in the future.
- Car start up time. I had learned to live with the minor issue that my car sometimes took 10 seconds to 'wake up' when I got in it. On rare occasions, it would take 30 seconds that felt like 5 minutes. Now, as soon as I sit in seat, its ready to drive! First world problem but it was super annoying and I'm thrilled its gone
Hopefully this is helpful! Add some comments below if I missed anything