General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

220 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) for tesla charging

I have 220 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) outlet on 30amp breaker for bitcoin mining, can I use this outlet to charge tesla?

Comments

• Hi im getting a tesla and have a 220 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) that i used for my bitcoin miners, 30A breaker, does any one know if I can charge tesla with this?
  • ?? 5-15 is ordinary household outlet (US).
  • Ah, perhaps you mean 6-15. Would do nicely but need to get the 6-15 adapter e.g. at the Tesla shop https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters
  • urp, 30A breaker suggests 6-30 and I don't think Tesla makes such an adapter. Google suggests others do, and I've had good results with non-Tesla adapters.
  • NEMA 5-15 is a 120V, 15 amp connection. It should not have a 30 amp breaker. Here's a list of various NEMA connectors with pictures I made a while back:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/#connectors
  • It’s actually a Nema 5-20. And 20a breaker.
  • @davenest - Good to hear. If it is a dedicated outlet, it could be switched to a NEMA 6-20, and rewired in the breaker box for 240V to double the charging speed. No new wires between the outlet and the breaker box. It is critical that this be the only outlet or other outlets will destroy what is plugged into them!
  • @davenest ,
    It sounds like you're on the right track. As @TT points out, assuming it is a 5-20, it is only 120 volts. You might check the breaker. As such, it will only charge at around 5 mph. You may be able to upgrade the breaker to a 240v/20a one and up your charging speed to about 10 mph which is quite reasonable for daily use.
  • Upgrading to 240v is nice, but make sure it is on a dedicated circuit. If there are other outlets on the circuit, you are going to have big problems.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @davenest - Good to hear. If it is a dedicated outlet, it could be switched to a NEMA 6-20, and rewired in the breaker box for 240V to double the charging speed. No new wires between the outlet and the breaker box. It is critical that this be the only outlet or other outlets will destroy what is plugged into them!

Now that is a great idea! In fact the wire gauge needed 240V @ 20A (14 AWG) is smaller than what is needed for 120v @ 20A (12 AWG). Very cool idea @"TeslaTap.com"! I think the only issue is that 120V outlets are rarely dedicated, but that can be addressed.
  • It’s already 240v, but which adapter to use nema 5-15 or nema 5-20. The receptacle will take either..
  • @ATPMSD - 12 AWG is required for a 20 amp circuit/breaker for both 120V and 240V. You do get twice the power with 240v over 120v, but the wire size is based only on amperage for residential wiring.

@davenest - This is confusing. Both 5-15 and 5-20 are for 120 vac circuits. You must have either 6-15 or 6-20 for 240v circuits at 15 or 20 amps respectively.

Now you could incorrectly wire a NEMA 5-20 to 240v, but the outlet would allow any 120v item to be plugged in, and likely be destroyed and/or catch fire. Quite dangerous and not at all to code.

Tesla has adapters for both 6-15 and 6-20 outlets:
    https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters
  • @davenest - I had a dumpster in my driveway for a month after a serious water leak. I used a dedicated 5-20 with a 13 amp (15 would be max) continuous duty rated extension cord. I set the car to draw no more than 12 amps. That was adequate to keep me charged for errands (I'm retired). I think 5-20 outlets are frequently dedicated; 5-15s typically are not dedicated. You could try the 120v adapter that comes with the car and see how that works for you if yours is dedicated. But 240v is definitely much better, and @TeslaTap.com has an excellent idea (as usual).
  • The outlet is a 5-20. On a dual pole 20a breaker so 240v Used for Bitcoin mining,Installed by and electrician a few years ago. I guess my question is with this plug and not changing anything, what type of adapter should I use a 5-15 or a 5-20, or do I have to change receptacle to get 240v to the Tesla
  • The Tesla adapter won’t let you take advantage of more than the outlet was designed for i.e. not 240V.
  • Would using 5-20 to 6-20 adapter give more charging power?
  • @davenest - Best would be to change the outlet to 6-20. I'm about 90% sure the Tesla 5-20 adapter would work on your existing outlet. It only tells the car the current limit. Your car should accept 240v, even though 5-20 outlet is supposed to be limited to 120v. I'm 100% sure it will not harm the car. I hope you mark the 5-20 outlet clearly that it is 240 VAC so no one else plugs something into it.

In the past, Tesla cars don't care if it was anything up to 277 VAC or so, although it does look for voltage sag as an indication of an improper installation.
  • > @davenest said:
    > It’s already 240v, but which adapter to use nema 5-15 or nema 5-20. The receptacle will take either..

Time for a call to a LICENSED electrician.
  • If an electrician installed a 240v circuit using a 5-20 outlet, they need to have their electricians credentials revoked.

Note that a 5-20 outlet looks exactly like a 6-20 outlet unless you take great care.
  • 5-20 normally gives a 33% boost.
  • It looks like a 5-20 receptacle a sideways T on the left a vertical line to the right and a hole below, right now I have 4 Bitcoin miners (that require 16 amp 220v) on Them using 5-15 plugs, they have been working fine for at least 2-3 years. It was a professional pair that came to do the work from a medium sized company.
  • Most computer power supplies will automatically detect and switch between 120v and 240v, so if it is a 5-20 it would likely work with a computer, and will likely work with the Tesla EVSE.

A 5-20 outlet on a 240v circuit is a code violation and safety issue that should be corrected.
  • Well if I run into code problems I’ll give the receipt from the licensed electricians that installed.
  • Your breaker is rated at 30A and the outlet is rated at 15A. I dont know what wire size you have running to the outlet but i would highly recommend you match the breaker size to the outlet rating, whether thats downsizing the breaker to 15A or upgrading the outlet to 30A.

Weird setup. Did you do it yourself? Otherwise get a new electrician.
  • No it’s 20a dual breaker, the receptacle is 5-20, clearly labeled 220v, there are 2 wires coming from the main box to the outlets an orange round one and a yellow flat one. Original this was a dryer socket? I hired electricians to convert the dryer outlet to power antminer Bitcoin miners that pull 5 1/2 A at 240v the plugs are 5-15. I recently had a different electrician in for a different job, he tested it. All he said was make sure I don’t plug in regular computers, it would fry them.