Model 3

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

I love my Model 3

I've had my Model 3 Performance since Dec 2018 and LOVE it. Once I stepped into it for the first time, it felt like I time-traveled 100 years into the future. This is not an uncommon opinion as every one of the dozens of Tesla owners I've spoken to feel the same.

I'm lucky enough to have the Performance version (upgraded from a 2017 RWD LR), so I've tracked it twice, and swap to all-seasons during the the SoCal 'winter' months for my snowboarding trips. So it's a supercar and sport utility in one.

My M3P is by a far, huge margin, the most reliable car I've ever owned (I've had several Audi's, a VW, a SAAB, and a couple American cars). This car hasn't broken down once, needs zero maintenance, and has cost me nothing to upkeep except for those those all-seasons. I plan to drive it for 500,000 miles.

Regarding any fit-finish issues: my left door made a clicking sound, which was resolved with a 20 minute remote service. Otherwise the car's perfect.

Just to add some real-word balance to all these Karens trying to squeeze in last-minute FUD before these forums go read-only, lol.

Comments

• Thanks for posting! You're in the vast majority of owners, with 97% of Tesla owners saying they will buy Tesla again - the highest ratings of any automaker.
  • I love that you love your model 3
  • Love mine as well. I just don't understand how a person can spend a lot of money on a product like a Tesla and not understand the product's performance characteristics and strengths and weaknesses. Like all products, you have to "pre-qualify" yourself to see if you're a good fit before buying--and no that doesn't mean just taking a twenty minute test drive.
  • "Like all products, you have to "pre-qualify" yourself to see if you're a good fit before buying--and no that doesn't mean just taking a twenty minute test drive."

Amen to this. All the Howards who post on this site and expect beta FSD to drive them blindfolded to and from Las Vegas, then bitch when it won't do that, simply did not get informed about what they were spending $65K on. Duh.
  • I never took a test drive. Drove 7 hours to pick it up from the showroom, that was the first time I've ever sat in one.

Same as @meni... great experience, totally expect my next vehicle to be a Tesla (a van, hopefully). Car is great! I've given test drives to everyone I know... they all say the same thing.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > ...
    > Amen to this. All the Howards who post on this site and expect beta FSD to drive them blindfolded to and from Las Vegas, then bitch when it won't do that, simply did not get informed about what they were spending $65K on. Duh.

I'm not sure how long you've been an owner, but I think FSD is one thing people can have a legitimate gripe about. In the lead up to Model 3 availability in 2017 Elon Musk on multiple occasions said that that kind of actual full self-driving was imminent and would be possible in the Model 3. He seriously said it would be available within a year. I and others took Musk at his word and bought the car with the expectation that it _would_ do what Musk was claiming. Since then Tesla has backed off considerably on their statements of what FSD will do but Musk's statements back then are the reason people expect the car to be able to do it. That's one thing that Musk (so far) has not delivered on.
  • https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/177674/fresh-fsd-video-mindblowing

Lots of fsdbeta videos linked here.

Also have to wade through a section of garbage argument about the videos being misleading or what “level” the videos are...ignore hat stuff and enjoy how far FSD has come. This is the year for some amazing stuff.
  • The same feel when I floored my Model 3 the first time
  • Carl: "I'm not sure how long you've been an owner, but I think FSD is one thing people can have a legitimate gripe about."
    Two and 1/2 years ownership. I was fully informed of the beta/unready status of FSD from the gitgo. My Tesla salesman told me to consider it to be vaporware until it was feature complete. Elon has always been at the bleeding edge of confidence in getting it done, but I never hung on every word he uttered. Bought the car after getting as much info as I could find about what was being purchased.
    BTW, many people do the same thing I did. The ones that didn't are now moaning and blaming Tesla and Elon because they can't pull the car out of their garage and drive to and from Las Vegas with FSD while playing cards and napping. Shoulda known from personal research that it ain't here yet and may be awhile. Doesn't bother me to wait.
  • Agree with sheldon_mike.
    I am a line waiter with an Apr 2018 Model3.
    There was never a time given for FSD.
    Hardware updates would likely be needed, and some have happened. More may be needed.
    My guess was that production FSD was 5 to 10 years off, but that was just my guess.
  • Yep. There was plenty of clear communication on this stuff. No informed buyer should’ve been surprised.
  • > @M3phan said:
    > Yep. There was plenty of clear communication on this stuff. No informed buyer should’ve been surprised.

The only people that are upset, is taking Musk at his word. Which again, would be kind of stupid to shell out that kind of money without doing their own due diligence. But that is my only knock on EM, I just wish he would be a bit more realistic when it came to FSD.
  • For me, his aspirational leadership is what drives the bleeding edge AI and NN development. Set a big hairy audacious goal and the team will slay dragons. Even if it takes a bit longer.
  • I have a question as a Tesla non-onwer. I am reading this forum just last few weeks, and if one puts asisde majority of coments comming from those few dull tools who like to call themselves "enthusiasts" and to fondle each other's balls over their cars, while catch heretics, what is left is a lot of technical and quality problems that people report (of course I don't include myself in those, I only had a comments on what I've personally exeperienced when I tried to buy a car). Some of them seem rather trivial, others not so. But there is lot of it. Every software update seems kind of like a lottery, what will not work properly after the update. So, I wonder, if FSD ever becomes reallity, how can anyone trust that there are no bugs, problems, issues, that can lead not to weeks of waiting for visit to Tesla Repair Shop, but to a series accident? How can anyone put his life and life of his passengers, kids, in the hands of such product?

I am not bitching here, or trying to convince anyone not to buy the car, after all, I am also waiting for my vehicle, though I do have my doubts. I just don't understand that phenomenon among Tesla owners, that blind fate they demonstrate, thougg the evidence shows that the car occasionally looks like a giant bag of software and hardware bugs on a pair of AC motors.

I can speak only for myself, if I ever get the car, I would never let it drive me and my familly. Especially not a product that will be in a beta state for very long time, likely forever, updated weekly like everything else on this car.

I could be wrong, of course, I would like to have car driving me around, but I don't see that coming anytime soon, certainly not in the time frame that has been promissed. And I would definitively not be willing to be a guinea pig.
  • When i first got into mine, it felt unreal, in the sense that can a car actually operate like this? No engine, it almost felt like a kids toy. Had mine for 7 months now, best car ever. Could never go back to gas powered. Cant beat no gas station visits and oil changes.
  • Andy has the patience of a saint.

Srki is a troll. Who doesn’t own a Tesla (thankfully admits it) and lied about his experience. And comes around here telling people tesla sucks
  • The gnashing of teeth is pathological.
  • > @kneught

Anvil, with a mouth.
  • > @srki said:
    > > @kneught
    >
    > Anvil, with a mouth.

Did you ever pass along where you picked up your tesla and who told you the next car would be worse?

Or is that all a secret still
  • @srki - With over 1M cars delivered, consider that the number of complaints you see on the forums is quite small. I'm not saying Tesla is perfect but is far better than you might be lead to believe based on forum posts and amplified by FUDsters.

Will software from any company or product be perfect - unlikely. The better question is does it provide enough utility and safety to exceed your needs? No one has ever said FSD (from any vendor) will be perfect. The goal is to be 10 times better than humans. If it achieves that, it will be a huge gain in safety. If you don't like FSD, don't buy it. No one is forcing it on you.

As others have stated, Tesla is not for everyone. If you don't want the safest car made, and enjoy breathing cariogenic fueling fumes, low performance, lots of maintenance, and high costs to fuel, stick with an ICE car. There are plenty to select from.
  • > @srki said:
    > I have a question as a Tesla non-onwer. I am reading this forum just last few weeks, and if one puts asisde majority of coments comming from those few dull tools who like to call themselves "enthusiasts" and to fondle each other's balls over their cars, while catch heretics, what is left is a lot of technical and quality problems that people report (of course I don't include myself in those, I only had a comments on what I've personally exeperienced when I tried to buy a car).

Why are you here if yo don't own a Tesla? Why are you commenting on something you have never used and have no experience with?
  • @srki sorry the forums are closing down I would have enjoyed reading your made up nonsense.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @srki said:
    > > I have a question as a Tesla non-onwer. I am reading this forum just last few weeks, and if one puts asisde majority of coments comming from those few dull tools who like to call themselves "enthusiasts" and to fondle each other's balls over their cars, while catch heretics, what is left is a lot of technical and quality problems that people report (of course I don't include myself in those, I only had a comments on what I've personally exeperienced when I tried to buy a car).
    >
    > Why are you here if yo don't own a Tesla? Why are you commenting on something you have never used and have no experience with?

Oldest troll tactic in the book.

Put criticisms in the form of a question to seem more reasonable.

“As a non tesla owner, can someone help me understand why anyone would want such a garbage car riddled with issues?”
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    If you don't like FSD, don't buy it. No one is forcing it on you.

It is not question wheather I like it or no (I obviously don't, and I didn't order a car with that extra 10K for imaginary FSD), but how can anyone like it or trust it, under the circumstances? I believe that the self driving on Tesla is possibly way ahead of any other car manufacturer at this point, but that is not the point one should be comforted with when buying a car with FSD.

I don't need to be adviced which car I should buy (I heard that about 20 times since I joined the formu), if I couldn't live without gas cars, I wouldn't be looking to buy an electric car. I had a direct question for those who perhaps have the car and can't wait for FSD. I am just trying to understand that menthality.
  • You should really try it. Initially it is very hard to trust or like. I felt like I had to pay more attention on my first drive from the delivery center using autopilot than driving myself. Then you start understanding what it can do and what it can't and it becomes very easy to like/love. As far as trust goes, I trust but verify FSD.