Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

HELP! 4 month old Y paint gone

We got our Y just in time for snowboard season here in the Pacific Northwest. We picked it up in November and been driving it up to our local mountain here in Oregon Mount Hood. After our last trip up my husband washed the car and saw that the paint is chipping on side of the car. Not a little...its bad! We scheduled with Tesla but they called and said this is considered wear and tear!? Wear and tear after just under 4 months of driving? We are super bummed anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• If the chips are on the rear fender flare, then its normal. Many are adding front mud flaps or PPF to the area to help.
  • Do you have the mudflaps installed
  • just got our Y 1 week ago... installed these (looks like out of stock for now): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08VHQSXD1/
  • Try this for mudflats..... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mudguards-Black-plastic-Mud-Flap-Flaps-Splash-Guards-For-2020-2021-Tesla-Model-Y/383913702695?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
  • The area on the lower rear passenger doors is very susceptible to winter driving paint damage. By now Tesla has to know this, and should be equipping the cars with mud flaps and/or ppf from the factory.
  • > @d1971us_92665774 said:
    > The area on the lower rear passenger doors is very susceptible to winter driving paint damage. By now Tesla has to know this, and should be equipping the cars with mud flaps and/or ppf from the factory.

Some parts of Canada are now requiring it
  • Does anyone understand what is it about these cars, as opposed to other cars, that makes them more susceptible to this kind of body damage? Is the wheel protruding too far beyond the fender well?
  • You must install Tesla front mud flaps and Tesla PPF which are both sold on the shop.tesla web store.
    This isn't a Tesla only issue. I have seen the same PPF on a four-door Porsche.
    I installed the mud flaps and PPF shortly after taking delivery and I have had no damage to the side of the Y.
  • By washed the car, do you mean in an automatic car wash?
  • edited March 10
    I have same issue - ironically not where the mudflaps would protect, either. Pitting on the hood and door edges near the windows, likely where some sand/salt was hitting the car. Wheel area is actually ok. There are also light scratches near the door handles, but those look like they could be buffed out.

I haven't experienced paint wear like this on a car before (my last car made it through 12 northeast winters without similar damage) and am considering a protective wrap.

When I ran into @threeputts he heard the red paint is "triple coat" while the other colors are single coat, so he chose red. Not sure if that has anything to do with the wear.
  • “ likely where some sand/salt was hitting the car”

There is no such thing as paint that will stand up to sand or salt blasting
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > “ likely where some sand/salt was hitting the car”
    >
    > There is no such thing as paint that will stand up to sand or salt blasting

As I said, I spent 12 winters driving through sand and salt (same car color, black) and did not get similar pitting and paint wear.

The pits on the Y are small but fully through the paint layer, and this is from only a few days of such weather.
  • Remarkable that Tesla is still on the market…..
  • edited March 10
    > @modelyowner said:
    > > @lbowroom said:
    > > “ likely where some sand/salt was hitting the car”
    > >
    > > There is no such thing as paint that will stand up to sand or salt blasting
    >
    > As I said, I spent 12 winters driving through sand and salt (same car color, black) and did not get similar pitting and paint wear.
    >
    > The pits on the Y are small but fully through the paint layer, and this is from only a few days of such weather.

Was this before or after your 90 day winter trek thru the Antarctic while wearing a tshirt and shorts?
  • > @kneught said:

> Was this before or after your 90 day winter trek thru the Antarctic while wearing a tshirt and shorts?

Get over it man. When this person first posted his/her concerns you guys blasted him/her as someone who was trolling and would never be back. Clearly that wasn’t true and you musk mafia apologist should just chill the F out. I’m glad this site is going away. I wish it was a place I could go for assistance and info; but folks like you, who flame anyone with an issue, makes engaging in discussion here fairly worthless.
  • > @Geech72 said:
    > > @kneught said:
    >
    > > Was this before or after your 90 day winter trek thru the Antarctic while wearing a tshirt and shorts?
    >
    > Get over it man. When this person first posted his/her concerns you guys blasted him/her as someone who was trolling and would never be back. Clearly that wasn’t true and you musk mafia apologist should just chill the F out. I’m glad this site is going away. I wish it was a place I could go for assistance and info; but folks like you, who flame anyone with an issue, makes engaging in discussion here fairly worthless.
    >

Geech. I mean this in the nicest way possible.

He is the biggest drama Queen I’ve ever seen on this forum. And I’ve seen some real funny ones. He deserves all the flack he got, Tesla doesn’t have control over 3rd party towing. Tesla didn’t stop him from calling emergency services (it says to in the roadside section on the app) and tesla didn’t pack his car or leave him poorly equipped for any car issues (that can happen with ANY vehicle at ANY time)

HE is 90% to blame. But he was acting like tesla was 100% responsible. Only a fucking moron takes a 30 day road trip with a brand new car in the dead of the winter. Even if it wasn’t a pandemic.

And also, your opinion means absolutely nothing to me. So you can fuck off or do whatever you like to do ✌🏻

I’d rather white Knight for Elon. At least he’s cool and a billionaire. You are white knighting for a fucking moron who can’t even keep his family safe.
  • edited March 10
    @kneught I now live rent free in your head and it's hilarious. I don't think I've made a single post on this board that you haven't rushed to respond to.

Also, weird flex that you're warning other Tesla owners not to drive their cars in winter lest they face a catastrophic heat failure like I did.
  • > @modelyowner said:
    > @kneught I now live rent free in your head and it's hilarious. I don't think I've made a single post on this board that you haven't rushed to respond to.
    >
    > Also, weird flex that you're warning other Tesla owners not to drive their cars in winter lest they face a catastrophic heat failure like I did.

I’ve called you an idiot since day one. And yes. I’ve been saying for years. Not just for a Tesla. ANY new vehicle you get. You should avoid long trips until you reach at least a couple thousand miles. Any major issue will arise within the first few hundred typically.

Not just that tho. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. If I’m driving in extreme climates (hot or cold) I’m preparing as if my car may slide into a ditch. I’m calling emergency services immediately as a heads up. And I’m contacting multiple roadside assistance. BCAA. tesla. Roadstar. Everything I have to guarantee I’m covered.

Then again, I’m smart. I understand issues can arise with any thing I purchase. Cars are no different. I also was reading the forums and was aware there had been reports of issues with the heat sensors and manifolds on the new model 3 and Y.

But go on. Continue blaming tesla for your stupidity. It will get you far in life.
  • > @d1971us_92665774 said:
    > The area on the lower rear passenger doors is very susceptible to winter driving paint damage. By now Tesla has to know this, and should be equipping the cars with mud flaps and/or ppf from the factory.

yes, tesla is very aware of this....now, but not until the damage was done. tesla knew of this problem but did not equip the vehicle with ppf or mud flaps from the factory but instead offered for purchase on the online store because they were getting so many complaints. my paint was gone after the first 500 kms, well before mud flaps or ppf were even available. I had a 3rd party company install ppf to mitigate the damage and they said they had a couple customers in the past actually succeed in getting tesla to warranty the damage
  • BTW the mudflaps are back in stock on the Tesla shop this morning; just ordered a pair
  • I don't know if this is clear. The mud flaps will NOT protect the rear door flare in front of the rear wheel wells. I think the mud flaps alone might actually exacerbate the rear door flare paint chipping, because the air curls around the mudflap.
    I think Tesla should be doing the flare PPF from the factory. Now.
  • My assumption was that the flaps were intended to protect the front rocker panels just behind the front wheels. I don’t drive in slush like many of you. Here in the southeast I’ve had one weekend of potential winter weather since I bought the vehicle that required the roads to be salted and sanded. After driving in those conditions for a few days the front third of my vehicle up to about the door handles was coated with salt and sand. While I am also planning a third party PPF my thought was the flaps would help with stop some of the road debris from reaching the front panels.
  • I think the flaps help a bit but definitely not enough to negate the additional ppf. the mud flaps will not be enough on there own if you drive in winter conditions
  • > @modelyowner said:

> When I ran into @threeputts he heard the red paint is "triple coat" while the other colors are single coat, so he chose red. Not sure if that has anything to do with the wear.

That's what the sales guy told me. I don't know if he really knew what he was talking about or not, but inspecting the car after that trip I could only find a couple tiny chips in the hood (that were not at all obvious unless you were looking for damage) and nothing on the doors or rear panel where I've seen others post pictures of paint damage. The paint seems to be holding up fine so far and we did drive more than a few miles on dirt roads that trip.
  • > @threeputts said:
    > > @modelyowner said:
    >
    > > When I ran into @threeputts he heard the red paint is "triple coat" while the other colors are single coat, so he chose red. Not sure if that has anything to do with the wear.
    >
    > That's what the sales guy told me. I don't know if he really knew what he was talking about or not, but inspecting the car after that trip I could only find a couple tiny chips in the hood (that were not at all obvious unless you were looking for damage) and nothing on the doors or rear panel where I've seen others post pictures of paint damage. The paint seems to be holding up fine so far and we did drive more than a few miles on dirt roads that trip.
    >

White and red is multi coat colours