General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

What if the car charged itself while driving?

Hello,

I don't know much about cars, but I know some things about physics and one of them is that we can harvest kinetic energy. In this case, the energy is generated by the rotation of each wheel (torque). When the car is moving, all wheels are rotating, and if connected to a power source, there is nothing that says they can't charge through rotations. If we connect the center of gravity of each wheel to a the car's generator, wouldn't that help provide additional electric energy to the car?

If anyone has any explanation on why this can/cannot work, I would appreciate it!

Comments

• dont start with this again
  • Not again.
  • It’s a brilliant idea all it needs is a BIG Breakthrough with the physics and stuff
  • Whoo Hoo, another last one before the forum goes dark!

OP: look up First Law of Thermodynamics, Conservation of Energy, Perpetual Motion Machine.
  • maybe mount a big an on the car
    power a turbine generator
    tat should work
    Also magnets
    magnets should work
  • I like magnets
  • Because physics. First day of class.
  • edited March 9
    Solar power...a PV roof could supply up to 20 miles a day on sunny day.

"Hyundai's new electric car has a solar panel roof and can charge other EVs"

https://www.techradar.com/news/hyundais-new-electric-car-has-a-solar-panel-roof-and-the-ability-to-charge-other-evs

Ioniq 5 has solar roof and advanced 800V electrical system.
  • probably charges 5 miles per day
    thats physics
  • All you need to do is mount a powerful magnet in the front of the car and it could attract the rest of the car if mounted just right to control the Flux
  • and reverse a magnet on the back of the car
    so that is repels the magnet on the front of the car
    probably wouldnt even need the motor anymore
  • A big solar fan on top of the car!!!
  • You guys are brilliant! :smile:
  • I once put a carrot on a stick and attached it to a donkey so the carrot was just out of the donkey’s reach.

Till today, I ride him free.

This is what free energy is all about.

Planning to file a patent on it.
  • @aboutar_98646782

Tesla already does this. It’s called regenerative braking.
  • What if unicorns pooped ice cream?
  • > @aboutar_98646782 said:

> we can harvest kinetic energy. In this case, the energy is generated by the rotation of each wheel (torque). When the car is moving, all wheels are rotating, and if connected to a power source, there is nothing that says they can't charge through rotations.
    >
    > If anyone has any explanation on why this can/cannot work, I would appreciate it!

This can and does work, it's called regenerative braking. It works well when we want the car to stop, not so good if we want to get somewhere.
  • > @RedShift said:
    > I once put a carrot on a stick and attached it to a donkey so the carrot was just out of the donkey’s reach.
    >
    > Till today, I ride him free.
    >
    > This is what free energy is all about.
    >
    > Planning to file a patent on it.

It’s free If you’re not the carrot
  • > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    > What if unicorns pooped ice cream?

They do not? Where do you think ice cream really comes from?
  • > @RedShift said:
    > I once put a carrot on a stick and attached it to a donkey so the carrot was just out of the donkey’s reach.
    >
    > Till today, I ride him free.
    >
    > This is what free energy is all about.
    >
    > Planning to file a patent on it.

Except carrots cost money, try again....think magnets.
  • Magnets cost money too.

I grow carrots. You should too. Cost is negligible, and the admiring looks you get when riding the donkey, priceless.
  • If you drive downhill both ways it can work
  • A bungee cord can cure that.
  • We could embed wireless phone style charging coils in the all roads and wireless charge the car driving down the road!
  • > @RedShift said:
    > Magnets cost money too.
    >
    > I grow carrots. You should too. Cost is negligible, and the admiring looks you get when riding the donkey, priceless.
    >

Yeah but you gotta keep growing new carrots, my magnets will last forever. Ive also designed a solar turbine that can be attached to the roof that will power the car with a single charge.