General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

how to keep Tesla online on WiFi ?

I live in Turkey and has no LTE connectivity in my car. is that possible to keep Tesla online on wifi connection ? I have wifi router inside Tesla but when I power off the car, it also closes wifi connection. any way to keep wifi up ?

Comments

• After you switch out of park, touch the LTE icon and you can reconnect to WiFi. It will stay connected while you drive.
  • I believe your issue is, when you power down the car, the power is also cut to the wifi router in the car (I assume you plugged it into the 12 volt outlet). Solution: when in Park, put car in "Camp" mode. This will keep power to the 12 volt outlet and other things. Access camp mode from the climate area when in park.
  • Please explain how it is you have a router in your car. A router is typically plugged into the internet via a cable, acts as a firewall and as a WiFi Access Point for devices to connect to it.
  • I misread the OP's question. The response from @JacobsAZ1 is more appropriate, but regardless of your WiFi source, the car won't stay connected to WiFi when it sleeps.

If the goal is to allow the car to get updates when it's parked, you must have an LTE connection too. Telsa uses LTE to ping your car when an update is ready, and the car then connects to WiFi. If your car doesn't get the LTE ping (via SMS I believe), it won't try to connect to WiFi.

Did you mean you don't have LTE anywhere, or just where you park?
  • > @EVRider said:
    > I misread the OP's question. The response from @JacobsAZ1 is more appropriate, but regardless of your WiFi source, the car won't stay connected to WiFi when it sleeps.
    >

I have not found this to be true. With my MS in the garage, asleep and not plugged in I can still ping it.
  • I bough a wifi modem from a GSM operator to publish wifi and keep my Tesla online all the time. (I have no LTE in my Tesla due to I am in Turkey) so to reach my Tesla via app, wifi should be active on my Tesla. > @ATPMSD said:
    > Please explain how it is you have a router in your car. A router is typically plugged into the internet via a cable, acts as a firewall and as a WiFi Access Point for devices to connect to it.
    >
  • i do not have any LTE connection. only wifi I can use in Tesla. that is why I want to use wifi to keep my Tesla online.

> @EVRider said:
    > I misread the OP's question. The response from @JacobsAZ1 is more appropriate, but regardless of your WiFi source, the car won't stay connected to WiFi when it sleeps.
    >
    > If the goal is to allow the car to get updates when it's parked, you must have an LTE connection too. Telsa uses LTE to ping your car when an update is ready, and the car then connects to WiFi. If your car doesn't get the LTE ping (via SMS I believe), it won't try to connect to WiFi.
    >
    > Did you mean you don't have LTE anywhere, or just where you park?
  • > @fuhayer said:
    > i do not have any LTE connection. only wifi I can use in Tesla. that is why I want to use wifi to keep my Tesla online.
    >

So you don’t have access to maps or any other connectivity features when you drive?

> @ATPMSD said:
    > > @EVRider said:
    > > I misread the OP's question. The response from @JacobsAZ1 is more appropriate, but regardless of your WiFi source, the car won't stay connected to WiFi when it sleeps.
    > >
    >
    > I have not found this to be true. With my MS in the garage, asleep and not plugged in I can still ping it.
    >
    >

You can ping your car because it has LTE coverage. That’s how the Tesla server accesses your car. Once the car is pinged, it will connect to WiFi if needed. It doesn’t need to stay connected to WiFi.
  • > @EVRider said:
    >
    > You can ping your car because it has LTE coverage.

Respectfully this is not correct. The car is on my LAN with an IP address and when I ping the car from a computer on my network it returns a successful ping - the ping request never leaves from network (the LAN addresses are non-routable so it can't). Also, pretty sure the standard IP ping command will not transverse a cellular network.
  • @fuhayer

You can try this. First I would get a external 12v power supply for the modem to confirm you will stay connected. If that works then I would hard wire a 2nd 12v socket to the 12v battery in the Frunk, and run it into the cabin - be use it has a fuse. Then plug you GSM modem into that and it will remain powered.
  • I think the OP's situation is as follows: Turkey does not use LTE for cell data communication. Instead they use GSM. Tesla communicates data over cell network using LTE. So, his car is not compatible in Turkey. His solution ... plug in a GSM wifi modem to the 12 volt outlet in the Tesla. The modem creates a local wife network in his tesla, which he can connect the Tesla wifi to. The modem then can connect to the GSM network in Turkey. When he parks the car, the 12 volt outlet is shut off. If all this is correct, then Camp mode is a solution to keep power to the 12 volt outlet and keep the GSM modem powered when parked.
  • > @ATPMSD said:
    > > @EVRider said:
    > >
    > > You can ping your car because it has LTE coverage.
    >
    > Respectfully this is not correct. The car is on my LAN with an IP address and when I ping the car from a computer on my network it returns a successful ping - the ping request never leaves from network (the LAN addresses are non-routable so it can't). Also, pretty sure the standard IP ping command will not transverse a cellular network.
    >

Sorry, I remembered incorrectly, but I'm not entirely wrong either. My Model S will remain connected to my home WiFi when it sleeps, but my wife's Model 3 will disconnect.

However, in both cases, when you use the mobile app to connect the car, it does not connect directly to the car. The car is not a server, presumably to avoid security issues. When you contact the car via the app, the Tesla server sends an SMS message to your car, which causes the car to connect to WiFi (if not connected). I didn't mean ping in the literal sense, I was referring to the SMS message as the ping.

While the car is connected to WiFi, I don't know how the traffic between the app, and server, and the car flows, but there's probably someone in the forum who has analyzed that and can enlighten us.
  • @EVRider - I did not mean to imply you where entirely wrong, I was just referring to the WiFi connection. The rest of what you said makes sense. I would ”guess” that except for downloads, everything flows through the server to the car.