Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Extra $10,000 for Plaid Plus

Those of you who have already placed an order for a Plaid Plus: has Tesla informed you of the price increase (now $149,490)?

Comments

• You dont read these forums, do you? Be honest.
  • Generally, if the price goes up for a model, those that reserved it at the lower price get it. When a model is discontinued, like the LR+, they offer to let owners switch to the new model, such as the LR or Plaid, but must pay the difference, or cancel the order and get a 100% refund. Rather standard in most industries.
  • My order page shows $149,990 before any so called savings. Porsche looking cheaper now.
  • Porsche is always a cheap option, but I prefer a Tesla, a better product in so many ways! Of course, you have to buy a lot of expensive options with Porsche to equal what Tesla includes in the base price. This might be an eye-opener:
    https://teslatap.com/taycan-vs-model-s/
  • You need to change your base price of the Plaid+ by $10,000.
  • dunno why anyone would consider a Porsche with such poor range, 225miles.... thats it? I think it's pathetic. From a looks point of view its an attractive looking car.
  • @tldickerson - Thanks! Now updated.
  • "My order page shows $149,990 before any so called savings. Porsche looking cheaper now."

When you say your order page shows.... do you mean that you had previously reserved one at 140,000 with a $100 deposit and now it's been changed? Or do you simply mean that you haven't ordered but now the price has changed.
  • So I’m sitting at 12.5k less than site price now from my 9/22 reservation

$500 for non-black interior (was 1.5k now is 2.0k)
    $2k for FSD (was 8k now is 10k)
    $10k for last night’s price bump

I ain’t changing my order. Not one bit!
  • Are people still not buying the Taycan? Asking for a friend.
  • Turns out I was right about Plaid + not being available anytime soon. Meeting or exceeding what the 2019 Taycan Turbo S could do in a reliable way is much harder than pushing out a few minor changes and and OTA updates. Any resemblance to today’s Model S will be superficial at best and the car needed to be redesigned. I’m sure Model S Plaid + will be a fantastic car when it is actually ready for production. But it was obviously nowhere near ready when the test mules went to the ring for testing and development. New chassis, new batteries, new everything. At $150K, that puts it right where Taycan Turbo is price wise. Let’s hope materials, fit and finish are worthy of the price.
  • "Meeting or exceeding what the 2019 Taycan Turbo S could do in a reliable way is much harder"

That's complete crap. The Plaid will beat the Taycan hands down in a few weeks. It's far more than a few minor changes.
  • and that's at $119,000. Find me an actual Taycan Turbo S for under $200k
  • This price bump on the Plaid+ scared me into reserving my Plaid, or gave me an excuse anyway.....
  • I wonder if the dramatic rise in the cost of Lithium, 68% in the last few months, is causing this price increase. If so, many EVs are going to be affected - or at least those that don't make their own cells and don't have long-term contracts. With the 520 mile range of the Plaid+, it's likely to have a much larger pack and therefore requires more Lithium.
  • Anyone in Australia want to take over my early order for Plaid+ ?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > "Meeting or exceeding what the 2019 Taycan Turbo S could do in a reliable way is much harder"
    >
    > That's complete crap. The Plaid will beat the Taycan hands down in a few weeks. It's far more than a few minor changes.

You’ll see. It’s a lot more than just 0-60mph time.
  • > @blacktape242 said:
    > dunno why anyone would consider a Porsche with such poor range, 225miles.... thats it? I think it's pathetic. From a looks point of view its an attractive looking car.

That 225 is prob closer to 150 real driving range, not to bash them....same as Tesla, stated range is only good if you drive under 40 MPH.
  • How far would you get at track speeds?
  • “You’ll see. It’s a lot more than just 0-60mph time.”

Agreed, tri motor Plaid traps the 1/4 mile at 155. Top speed 200. Goodbye Taycan
  • > @Mark2018S said:
    > > @blacktape242 said:
    > > dunno why anyone would consider a Porsche with such poor range, 225miles.... thats it? I think it's pathetic. From a looks point of view its an attractive looking car.
    >
    > That 225 is prob closer to 150 real driving range, not to bash them....same as Tesla, stated range is only good if you drive under 40 MPH.
    >

That's the actual range people get. Not 150 like your thinking. My 2016 P90D doesn't come close to 225 actual miles. I don't drive like a old lady though.
  • > @Mark2018S said:
    > You dont read these forums, do you? Be honest.

I have been reading and posting for six years (1st MS 2014 P85D). I was just bringing attention to the 10K price hike for the Plaid + yesterday.
  • @"jfemd.va.us"
    I think his point was that the news had already been brought up in one of the few other active threads that day.
  • Ok. When I posted yesterday morning I didn’t see any other posts about that on page 1. Guess it won’t matter in three days...
  • No, I had it buried in another old post of mine about price changes. Doesn’t matter. Just trying to explain the exchange.