General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Feature request: Be able to raise car suspension when stuck

Currently, as I understand it, the car refuses to raise the suspension if it detects that something is lifting the car. This makes adjustable suspension useless after you already got stuck on for example a snowdrift or a sand dune.

Tesla: Can you please change this behavior in an update? Making it possible to "lift" yourself out of trouble.

Or correct me if I'm wrong :)

Comments

• Interesting idea. I'm not sure the purpose of air suspension is to lift the car from off-road objects. I suspect the lockout is done for safety reasons - like replacing a tire. Still, I guess some kind of safety override could be made.
  • I guess it's assumed that if you are going to off-road it or drive in those conditions, that you start with the highest setting. I've never high sided on a unexpected sand dune....
  • I raised myself off of a parking bumper in a Model S once using the air suspension. I'm not totally sure that the OP is correct.
  • I think the OP is correct. It happened to me just 3 days ago on a small snow mound.

I had the suspension on "high" but failed to notice that the car had a memorized setting to go back to "low" at that location. The underside of the X got stuck on the snow mound, I tried to raise suspension but could not because the car had gone into Service "Jack" mode by itself. I tried to remove Jack mode but it would go back into it right away!

Luckily somehow after 10 minutes it finally let me quit Jack mode. I could then raise the suspension and got myself out of trouble. I also checked, no damage to the underside of the car. Phew!

Now I don't know which of the following is true (if any):
    1. The car is smart enough to realize after a while that it might be stuck and let me remove Jack mode.
    2. There might be a counter and after N attempts to leave Jack mode that security feature is overridden.
    3. The heat of the battery melted partially the snow mound and the car no longer detected that it was being lifted.
  • Are you saying you drove over a mound of snow on the road and completely high sided your car that it couldn’t move forward or backwards?
  • Very low speed manoeuver at the back of my house, went over a snow mound that was slightly higher than the car ground clearance and got stuck.
  • > @inconel said:
    > I tried to raise suspension but could not because the car had gone into Service "Jack" mode by itself. I tried to remove Jack mode but it would go back into it right away!
    >
    > Luckily somehow after 10 minutes it finally let me quit Jack mode. I could then raise the suspension and got myself out of trouble. I also checked, no damage to the underside of the car. Phew!
    >

So clearly you know Jack. :wink:
  • @inconel

This is exactly what I mean. Trying to park somewhere where it's lots of snow, and suddenly you're stuck. Or just driving in snowy conditions and suddenly you find yourself sliding off the road onto a snowdrift.

Being able to use the suspension to lift the car just a bit above the snow (or if you make the same mistake going to some beach somewhere) could save you from hours of waiting for assistance and possibly pay $100'ds for something that could have been fixed in seconds, if your car was smart enough.

That the engineers at Tesla didn't seem to think about this makes it all too clear it was built in sunny California ;)