General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Feature request: Add current elevation to the corner of the map.

My last GPS I used in my old car could be set to always show the current elevation above sealevel. When driving in the mountains, or anywhere really, I always enjoyed watching the altitude on different places, and watching it go up and down while also watching the fuel efficiency.

In my Tesla I really miss this very simple feature, especially since its electric with possibility to regenerate. The GPS always has this info or it wouldn't work, so adding it as a number to the map display would be trivial.

Could you please add this in some update? While you're at it, current inclination in degrees or percent would also be a nice funfact to have displayed.

Comments

  • It would take a whole new altitude on Tesla's part to do this.
  • While they are at it, how about making the map truly live, I have yet to be routed or given the option to avoid traffic jams like google maps.
  • > @subsail said:
    > While they are at it, how about making the map truly live, I have yet to be routed or given the option to avoid traffic jams like google maps.

    It already has that functionality but you need premium connectivity
  • I love the idea of having an altimeter on the touch screen!
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > > @subsail said:
    > > While they are at it, how about making the map truly live, I have yet to be routed or given the option to avoid traffic jams like google maps.
    >
    > It already has that functionality but you need premium connectivity

    You don’t need premium connectivity to get rerouted due to traffic. What premium gives you is the display of live traffic data on the map.

    You can change to navigation settings to adjust how long of a traffic delay it will take before the car reroutes you.
  • @David W,
    I agree that GPS altitude would be good and easy to add. The original Roadster offered it and I liked it a lot.
    There would probably be naive pedantic know-it-alls who would grouse about how it is off by 0.33 mm compared with some sign by the road but, overall, I think it would be useful.
  • I get rerouted routinely.
    Elevation would be nice, but having more info about the elevation along the route would actually be useful. Just knowing your current elevation relative to the arrival elevation would be awesome. I search that data on my phone routinely while driving when I’m in unfamiliar territory and making decisions about charging or conservation of charge.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I get rerouted routinely.
    > Elevation would be nice, but having more info about the elevation along the route would actually be useful. Just knowing your current elevation relative to the arrival elevation would be awesome. I search that data on my phone routinely while driving when I’m in unfamiliar territory and making decisions about charging or conservation of charge.

    Although the route planner in the car does not display elevation, it does factor elevation into the range estimate very accurately. I live in the AZ mountains. Its about a 6,000 ft drop in elevation down to Phoenix. The planner shows I will use 30Kwh going down and 45kwh coming home ... which is what I average on this route. Temperature and wind are the variables which can make it a bit higher or lower for me.
  • @JacobsAZ1
    This is true, but sometimes the calculations get stale if you don’t have connectivity. I’ve developed a lot of mental algorithms over nearly 400k miles.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > @JacobsAZ1
    > This is true, but sometimes the calculations get stale if you don’t have connectivity. I’ve developed a lot of mental algorithms over nearly 400k miles.

    Agree. As with any machine, its important to get familiar with the machine, its behavior, etc. For me I let the planner estimate range (% energy) for distance at speed limit and elevation change, then I mentally factor in all the other variables, which gets me close. Range estimate is not an issue for me and I expect it is not for you either.
  • After 30 miles, all the unknowns are fairly well factored in, be it wind, rain, climate usage, or unanticipated speed. As you said, the car knows the elevation profile of the route and average speeds for the roads traveled. The rest is adjusted on the fly.
  • Range estimates have improved remarkably over he past 7 years. There could be 30% errors back in the day. Usually, it’s very close, but can be surprised by a stiff headwind in 80 mph territory.
  • "Usually, it’s very close, but can be surprised by a stiff headwind in 80 mph territory"

    I discovered that driving northbound 5 between LA and SF. Plenty of SC along the way though. Had to stop at one extra. No changes on the return trip.
  • @BH,
    I figure an elevation plot on the bottom of the map display would be ideal. So would wind arrows along the route.
    However, I figured I'd go easy and just ask for a simple printf of the GPS elevation with no graphics, data search, or memory lookup required.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > @BH,
    > I figure an elevation plot on the bottom of the map display would be ideal. So would wind arrows along the route.
    > However, I figured I'd go easy and just ask for a simple printf of the GPS elevation with no graphics, data search, or memory lookup required.

    Yeah, I think the former might be a bit much, especially factoring in live wind conditions. I'd be happy with just the latter; a simple number. Seeing the elevation of a navigated destination could also be nice, but might be messy GUI-wise.
  • @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" elevation number at start and destination would be awesome. If TM partnered with Windy.com or another service and displayed an arrow and a number I’d be chuffed (if I was British ;-)).
Sign In or Register to comment.