Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Is Anyone Looking for a Model Y SR?

So I decided to take the plunge - after test driving both the Model 3 and Model Y, I decided the Y was better for me because of the extra space, but I was unwilling to spend an extra $9,000 for range that I don't need. My ideal car is the white exterior and black interior SR with no upgrades. The goal is to hold for 'x' months while it depreciates slowly, then at the hint of an acceleration in depreciation, sell it.

The sales person I was working with was semi-helpful - he was, after much searching, able to find me a base Standard Range with blue exterior and black exterior, not my first choice, but a pretty car nonetheless.

After bringing up the entire list of US stores myself and searching inventory literally one zip code at a time, I found the car I wanted - white/black. Since I couldn't reach my sales rep to switch the cars in my order and these cars seem to vanish literally within minutes of becoming available, I went ahead and made another order, paying another $100.

So, to make a long story shorter, I only want the white car - but the blue car is still associated to my account, and it's located in Philadelphia. If anyone has been looking for a base SR Model Y with the 39,900 pricing, I am willing to transfer the order to you, I only ask that you reimburse the $100 order fee if it can't be refunded when the car is transferred to your account.

Not sure if there is a way to private message on these forums, but if you would like to get this car, please let me know before it goes out of my account.

Comments

• I dont think 'transferring of orders' is allowed by Tesla. Just cancel the blue order. ask your SA,
  • I had a similar problem and the Regional Tesla Sales Rep rectified it for me and refunded the fee. Not without consternation. Lower level/first answer reps told me it could not be done and I'd lose the $100. I asked for the sales manager and he said most of those guys are new and don't understand how to change orders. He took care of it for me.

This was one of a few pre-ownership SNAFUs I had with Tesla. Pre-delivery communication was quite poor and at more than one point I was tempted to forfeit the $100 for fear of continued poor customer service. I have found communication and service to be much more friendly since taking possession.
  • Hello,
    I’m in the market for a Blue/Black Standard Range drive so when read your note at 3AM ET (I am in South Carolina, which among it long list of shaking-my-head moment, is Teslas cannot sell me a car in SC). So I forwarded your post and link since I had a big problem creating a user account in this forum because they are shutting it down and replacing with a “more robust” format, GUI and more.

So first I heard from her the following:
    Hey Ed!

After reading through this forum post, transferring orders isn’t something we do; with that being said, to even approach this situation, I would need to know a lot more about the order, aka, VIN, his name, the email associated with the order, the Reservation Number, and a handful of other information. Unfortunately, it’s not a realistic option. Of course, I’ll keep looking for inventory cars and see what I can find for you!

That left more confused because she starts out with “transferring orders isn’t something we do”, but she follows that sentence with a list of things she would need, then flips back ti “Unfortunately, it’s not a realistic option.” HUH? Make up your mind.

So now that I have access to be able to reply to you, MAYBE there is a small glimmer of hope to turn this into a win-win for both of us.

Since there’s no PM option I can find on this forum, so I will take a small risk and share my email address which is [email protected]

Reach back to me there and maybe we can circumvent this Tesla speed bump.

Let’s try! I look forward to hearing from you.
    Ed in SC (formerly Ed from NJ and Ed from NY)
  • PS. “Her” is a sales gal at a
    Georgia Tesla store about 40
    minutes from where I now live in glorious retirement.

For anyone else second guessing plans to buy a new Tesla, don’t be discouraged. I’ve come to the conclusion for every complaint (even those describing issues that others have brought up), there are thousands of happy users driving without any problems. Can you imagine if every Tesla owner chimed in with “No problems with my Tesla today. I’ll let you know tomorrow if it was another trouble free day. Cheers!”

BTW, I’m 66 years old and am enjoying my retirement and the Southern climate, which barely gets any snow, but does get the occasional hurricane.

I’ve been a BMW owner for 25+ years, and currently have a 2004 3 series convertible and a 10 year old X5. Neither has gone over 70,000 miles, and my annual parts for maintenance work costs are minimal - some years zero!

Take a quick stroll to the Quora.com site and search for posts which tell readers horror stories about brakes, highway noise, the frequent frightening sound of window regulators failing, and “it always fails” coolant expansion tank are true. But even Old G’s like me know that a BMW is not a Honda or Toyota so you need to perform MAINTENANCE! Parts cost? From the dealer? Ridiculous! But understanding the difference from OE and OEM will provide you with the exact same part, built to BMW specs, for about 1/2 the cost or better. It just doesn’t come in a pretty blue and white BMW box. Just like buying Toyota parts for the equivalent Lexus.

I’m not worried about battery life on a road trip any more than driving on Alligator Alley in FL where they warn you (both coming and going east and west of the state) to “fill ‘er up” before you get on a road with no gas stations for a while once you’re on it.

Looking forward to owning a Tesla Model Y - one way or another!