Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Last

A big "Thank you" to Tesla. Not for the cars (which are great) but for the forum. Hosting an unmoderated forum that allowed critical commentary regarding their products is commendable. It absolutely made me more comfortable putting my deposit down in 2012, starting an incredible journey. Still Grinning.

Comments

• Agreed. The Model S forum provided information essential to me before I plunked down for my purchase in 2013 and has provided useful information ever since. Sad to see the forums go, but Thank You to Tesla for hosting them in the first place.
  • I just noticed the shutdown announcement only lists a day, not a year.
  • Soon
  • Maybe they’re on Elon time and the shut down date is just estimated and will not happen for several
    more months
  • Completely agree, @PBEndo. Lurking here ahead of buying (and before signing up and posting) allowed me to have an unfiltered view. Lots of contemplative posts, future forward thoughts, and raging debates (like the EMF discussions, et al) made for an interesting learning space.

I've said it before, but I really appreciate the people that thought and bought before I did in 2015; they made it less of a leap of faith for me, and easier to pull the trigger. Very glad I did. The fact that I would buy an expensive car via internet ordering and without a test drive was both head shaking and amazing.
  • @SbMD, why didn't you test drive? I took a test drive before ordering my first 2014P85.
  • Many early adopters did not have a Tesla showroom nearby in order to take a test drive. I was in SF over New Year’s at the beginning of 2015. I went by the factory to test drive a Model S. Afterwards, the sales associate asked if I’d like to also test the newly released P85D. There was a shorter wait time when ordering a P85D and you could also get next gen seats. I placed my order for the P85D and it was delivered in early March.
  • > @tldickerson said:
    > @SbMD, why didn't you test drive? I took a test drive before ordering my first 2014P85.

@rmg007 hit the nail on the head. No showroom at the time.
  • I took my test drive in 2012 November in Santana Row show room, in San Jose.
    Got my S60 in March 2013.

The test drive helped me decide I did not want the larger and heavier 85 KWh battery.
  • I’d guess the vast majority of early adopters didn’t get a test drive.
  • I was lucky to get a test drive in 2013 right after test driving an Audi A7. Was immediately sold and placed my order that night. Easiest purchase I had ever made!

I remember the huge uproar as the rear shelf became free shortly after I ordered, the forum was crazy with the first (to me) of many death blows critics would claim to be the downfall that real car companies wouldn't do :)
  • Right. I wonder how many know those cars had no center console back then. There was an option to get a tray that would cover the carpet!
  • Last shall be first! Thanks to all of you who made this forum entertaining and helpful. I couldn't pick most of you out of a lineup, having never met you in person. Yet I hear your voices, the way you write, in my head. It's been a blast.
  • > @sbeggs said:
    > Last shall be first! Thanks to all of you who made this forum entertaining and helpful. I couldn't pick most of you out of a lineup, having never met you in person. Yet I hear your voices, the way you write, in my head. It's been a blast.

+1000
  • Thanks everyone. It's been a thing.
  • I might learn a new language with my new free time. Others could probably get doctorates :)
  • We got a test “ride” at one of the early events at Fremont. Test drive at the next event. Long time ago.