Georgia

putting a 50Amp 240V line into your garage

DSKDSK
edited November -1 in Georgia
For anyone in the general Dekalb/Fulton area (or close too), I just wanted to share the info for the electrician that I used to wire the garage for the higher capacity line.

I used:
Gus Whitaker
Whitaker Electric
[email protected]

He did a great job. I didn't have an electrician already. I found his info on Yelp and gave him a call. I did not have an ideal set up to run the power into the garage, but he worked hard to find a way to do it economically. I also had Mr. Electric come out for a quote -- Gus, was significantly less expensive. Hardworking, honest guy.

With that line, I get about 25 miles/hour of recharge (less than Tesla said, but good). I'm just using the mobile connector and the NEMA 14-50 outlet. I'm not getting any of the wall charges.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Good thread!

In the northern suburbs, I used
    Jesse Benham
    Benham Electric, INC

He was excellent and very fair price-wise (Far less than the Mr Electric folks that Tesla sent). Good communication, reliable.

For me, he pulled a 50A circuit a long way to my garage and put in a 50A circuit with a NEMA 6-50 - I'm getting perfect 40A charging.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the recommendations!

I went with
    Gus Whitaker
    Whitaker Electric
    [email protected]

Installaed a 125 amp subpanel
    Whole house surge protector
    NEMA 14-50
    $1550
  • rtbrtb
    edited November -1
    Just to second georgevet--I used Gus as well. Excellent job (apparently he is making a name for himself putting in NEMA 14-50s).
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the connect. Will be giving Gus a call.
  • edited November -1
    I was very happy with Ben Brooker:

Thrasher Electric, LLC
    172 Marietta Street
    Alpharetta, GA 30009
    770-356-9696

Less than $1000, included long run from basement to garage, transfer of circuits from main to sub-panel, & whole house surge protector. Lifetime warranty, & 10% discount with Angie's List.
  • edited November -1
    Also using Ben Brooker @ Thrasher. Very professional. We're doing an outside run of a 100amp circuit from the house service entrance to the garage
  • edited November -1
    I live in Roswell. I used Jay Norton to install a 14-50 receptacle and corresponding circuit. Jay was less expensive than Mr. Electric. He was extremely professional. I'd highly recommend him.

Jay Norton Enterprises
    678-467-5986
    [email protected]
  • edited November -1
    In Athens, Scott Branch with Branch Electric. Under $1K for 100 amp service. Lots of variables, of course.
  • edited November -1
    I used Jesse Benham, Benham Electric at 770-530-2067, for my Buckhead highrise apt. garage installation. He did a great job, price very fair, work performed on time. I found several of the electricians on this page who shied away from a commercial building installation.

Jesse is highly recommended...
  • edited November -1
    Ben Brooker is no longer at Thrasher Electric.
  • edited November -1
    Gus Whitaker just did a install 240V 50AMP for me in my townhouse's garage. Enjoyed giving him the work & very reasonably priced. Highly recommended.
  • edited November -1
    We live in Cobb county and our first quote from Mr. Sparky came in around $16,000 because we would have to have extensive work done to bring our house electricity up to code (older home).

Luckily, we found that in Cobb county they allow a second meter to be installed for the purposes of charging an electric vehicle. We were able to have a new circuit ran to our detached garage for much less ($3,500 for 2 100 Amp circuits and all the required infrastructure). The work was performed by Estes who was on time, professional and very fairly priced.
  • edited November -1
    Just had the wall connector installed (8/30/14) with a 100 amp breaker in Lilburn,GA 30047. Used ElectraMedics out of Dallas, GA 678-359-4131. No charge estimate, ran the line from the basement panel up to our garage, price was very reasonable, easy to work with, finished in a few hours and cleaned up the work area. Would recommend them in the Northern Atlanta metro area.
    http://www.electramedics.com
  • edited November -1
    I am building a new house - Which outlet do you guys recommend installing?
  • CDWCDW
    edited November -1
    @j.e.richards:

If I was building a house, I would focus more on the wiring than the outlet. Outlets are easy to change, but not wiring.

I would have them run a wire big enough to handle 100amps at 240V. That seems to be the future trend, higher amperage chargers. The cost difference will be minimal anyway.

The for the outlet, NEMA 14-50 is great. Works to charge your tesla, your RV when you retire, and a bunch of other stuff (a welder, a pressure washer, etc..)
  • edited November -1
    I USED JAMES THOMPSON OF BRIGHTEN ELECTRIC ( 404 ) 456-3607
    He did a great job. I agree with CD 1034..wiring is what counts. My house is approaching 50 years, so i had him also increase my electric service to 400 amps and put in a dedicated 100 amp circuit for a HPWC. Took a day but well worth any grief.
  • edited November -1
    @j.e.richards:

If I were building new, I'd focus on your main panel service. We have standard 200 amp service and there's just no way to pull a 100A line for an HPWC and dual chargers. I'd kill for 400A service but can't justify the $10K-$20K bill.

And then, with 400A at your disposal, what cd1034 said: wire for 100A circuit, as it should be dirt cheap to do as part of new construction.
  • edited November -1
    I had a NEMA 14-50 and breaker on 6 gauge wire installed. About a 15' run. $425 (parts and labor). Took about 90 minutes.
  • edited November -1
    @h_burnette
    Can you give the contact info for the electrician?
  • edited November -1
    I used:

Troy Bettis Electric
    6378 N Hwy 29 Palmetto, GA 30268
    (678) 462-5056
  • Strong recommendation for Gus Whitaker; today her put in our NEMA 14-50 outlet--professional, and reasonable.
  • edited November -1
    We used Arc Angel in Cumming.

They knocked out the project in a couple hours before work one morning. 14-50 and surge supressors were around 600$ and they left no mess for me!
  • edited November -1
    The 400A is the way to go on the new build as everyone else has stated. One other add may be a separate meter base, depending on your provider and how things change in the future, it may be necessary to track your car charging separately for rates, taxes, etc ... You have an option now to build in versatility that I would/could leverage today!
  • For those of us that put in a Level 2 charger (NEMA 14-50 outlet) and are Georgia Power customers, we may qualify for a $250 rebate by GA Pwr from 1 Jan 2015-31 Dec 2015

http://www.georgiapower.com/environment/electric-vehicles/pdf/EVChargingExistingResidential1_15.pdf
  • Many of you who had the Nema 14-50 outlet installed may know this, but some may not. GA Power and the city of Atlanta, and our GA county require a permit to be applied for prior to level 2 charger (240 Volt) installation. We did not follow the correct procedure found in GA power link below; , Permit for Nema 14-50 applied for and approved, then installation begins, finally an inspection is required. Pls see:

http://www.atlantaga.gov/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=538

So, now we are doing step 1, 3 (after already doing the installation). Why bother? Chances are slim for an electrical fire
    but if you have a mishap, you can bet your insurance company will make sure you used a licensed electrician, and had the appropriate permits issued before settling any claims.

Hope this helps