Model S

The Tesla Psychosis

Comments

• edited November -1
    Yes, Welcome to the CRAZY Tesla Family...

Now that you have ordered, the wait will get LONGER each day!
    You will surf the forums, blogs, videos, news items with a greater ferocity than you did before you placed your order!

And, once you get your Model S...it gets worse!

You will have to check for the latest released SW, unreleased SW, rumored features in the new, unreleased SW...

You will want to know the best way to clean and detail your car and will get caught up in the touchless vs. gentletouch arguments. To the point that you will decide that the only way to do it right is to do it yourself...EVERY WEEKEND!!!

You will scour the Tesla store for new things...hey, wasn't I supposed to get that as standard??!! Maybe I need different wheels, tires, mats, consols, cupholders, arghhhhh!

You will join in on conversations with complete strangers as if they were your best friends as you discuss the superiority of the Model S against any and all comers! Even the mistakes (cupholders, vanity mirrors, fog lights...) will become obsessive topics of conversation....

And, worst of all, you will WANT to "take a drive", anywhere, anytime! Because it is just awesome and an absolute pleasure every time you approach the car (the doors open for you); take your seat behind the wheel (and the car is started and ready to go with the radio already on your favorite station); and, select drive...no transmission shifting, engine noise, exhaust smell, or hesitance. You just naturally take off with that "Tesla Grin"!!!

Welcome to the psychosis that is the Tesla Model S!!!

Sig 692
    Model S Perf received on 2 Nov 2012 and I haven't stopped grinning since!!!
  • edited November -1
    As a psychologist, an EV advocate (took delivery in January 2011 of a Chevy Volt and February 2011 of a Nissan Leaf, organized the first Sacramento area National Plug-In Car day, 2011, and am on the executive board of SacEV), and now have confirmed that our Model S (85kW standard) will get delivered in the first week of June, I would further support your Tesla passion as an example of a "Positive Addition" as described in a volume by that title.

And in a larger sense, I also rationalize my own purchase of the Model S, which will replace the Nissan Leaf for us, as an example of a "positive experience not to be delayed or put off." My own epiphany on this perspective came about 30 years ago when my closest running buddy, a guy who I did all my early marathon training runs with, was killed by a drunk driver in the middle of the afternoon while on a training run in San Diego. The message for me from that was....do not ever put off doing what you want to do, what is rewarding, for some much later time...we never really know, never, how much time we have for these promising experiences.

Heck, our Tesla is getting delivered to our personally "vacant" house, since we are in Warsaw, Poland until the first week in July as I am a Fulbright Scholar lecturing at a university here. It will be savored by our trusted neighbor, and it will be there for our pleasure when we arrive back at the house.

And the custom fitted floor mats will be waiting to be installed.
  • edited November -1
    The Tesla Psychosis
    rch1708 | May 21, 2013

+1

This is beautiful writing ---- the best I've seen yet in an attempt to convey how Tesla Motors transcends the automobile industry, clean energy, environmentalism, freedom of the road.

rch1708 --- beautiful

My heart is right there with you.
  • edited November -1
    gparrott;
    While the Tesla is undoubtedly an 'Positive Addition', I suspect you meant 'Positive Addiction'. See? 'c'. Si!
  • edited November -1
    typo: a <strike>an</strike> 'Positive Addition' ...
  • edited November -1
    Muphry's Law strikes again.
  • edited November -1
    I got a new musical instrument this week and after enjoying it yesterday I told my wife 'I have a Tesla Grin while playing.' A new unit of surprise and delight.
  • edited November -1
    @jd3tm, very well written. My thoughts exactly, but you are more articulate than I.

@rch1708, I live from a similar perspective. The comments posted in this thread, are real and true. Looking forward is essential, and I don't know of a better way to look forward.

Our Model S arriving over 3-years after we placed our reservation began a new chapter, and more.

This is hopeful.

Not a replacement...

But I believe hope is essential.

--A.
  • edited November -1
    @rch1708

First, I am so sorry for your loss. I'm a new father and can't even imagine the pain. I'm glad you've finally found something that can bring you some joy back.

Second, you've both encouraged and discouraged me with your post. First, I'll be getting my car finally in 37.5 hours. I've been waiting about a year and 3 months. My excitement is building to a fever pitch. Your post and the replies have encouraged me that I have not actually lost my mind. However, I am discouraged to hear that this manic feeling might not go away. I love the anticipation and the excitement, but checking for new stories and developments everyday is going to get REALLY tiring. I hope that MY psychosis diminishes to a slightly less manic pitch.

And, best wishes to you. September is a long time away.
  • edited November -1
    @ HenryT2 and all, thanks for your kind thoughts. Before losing my daughter I was never quite sure of the value of such words. Now I appreciate every one. But this is not the place to be morbid.

Having glimpsed the extent of everyone else's mania, it struck me that the TM and TMC forums must be a marketing student's goldmine. There must be enough material here to feed a couple of PhD theses. How on earth did Tesla manage to whip us all up into such a state? Hanging on EM's every tweet (I've never really found a use for Twitter before). Feverishly scouring the net for snippets of news. Castigating anti-Tesla sentiment. Debating the merits of wax, the fit of floor mats. It's completely brilliant marketing.

I've generally always ascribed to Groucho Marx's view of "I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER". But actually I'm rather happy to be a member of this community, bunch of crazies as it may be.
  • edited November -1
    It's a techno-medical trick. The MS is tuned to stimulate endorphin an oxytocin release, producing euphoria and addiction. Yer doomed, I tells ya.
  • edited November -1
    You can recognize fellow addiction victims by their glazed eyes and goofy grins. It's a national crisis! Pot dealers are losing business and customers to the new kid on the block.
  • edited November -1
    typo: endorphin and oxytocin

(A potent combo: pleasure and fixation!)
  • edited November -1
    I have to say that after having the car for a day it is getting worse. The car is truely remarkable.
  • edited November -1
    I am a better than average driver. But as I reflect on my driving, I got lazy, less attentive and lost the excitement in driving.
    I'm a car guy. When I was growing up, we had a saying, "my Chevy can out run a Ford, I just can't out run a Motorola". But I lost interest with the high cost of gas and death of the muscle cars through the '80s and '90s.

For the last few years I got up, drove a short distance (10 miles) to work, worked hard until end of the day and drove home. I'm nearing retirement. I opened the piggy bank and found enough to buy my MS.

Ohhh Myyy Gooodnnnness, the WOW is back!

I drive in early; there's no cars on the road at this time. So, I often drive 15 mph below the Interstate and four-lanes' speed limit to make the drive/ride take longer. I felt silly almost guilty driving the longer way to work. I made up excuses to drive
    the long way. I advanced to the point I ran out of excuses and had to make some up.

A few times just before I turned in the office parking lot, I thought to myself, hmm, did I leave the bathroom light turned on?
    Let me go back and check, so I drove home, pulled into the garage, but could not bring myself to get out of the MS to check the light. "I'm sure its off." So, I back out and drive all the way to work this time. Now I am past that too, and I just drive. (All this in the first week of having the car.)

I get to the office and just sit in the empty parking lot in the MS and admire her. I hate to get out and go inside. During the day, I get to walk past windows and look out at her in the parking lot. She beckons me "come on, let's go, take me for a ride".
    With the help of the app, I can stand there and flash her lights and honk her horn. She calling to me, "let's go". It's all I can do to get through the day and back into the seat to go-go-go.

Co-worker get a laugh at my reaction when they point out "its raining on your car". My Gear should market an umbrella large enough to cover the car in a rush.

When I drive in afternoon traffic, I am more considerate and careful (I don't take the chances of letting other drivers to get to close). I've slowed down. Once in a while, I punch it, but when there's plenty of room and virtually no risk of hurting her or others (heck, who can resist all the time, huh)? But thanks to my MS, my thanks to TM and my thanks to Elon, I am a better driver on the road today than I was before my MS.

GeekEV is right, ...it doesn't stop after getting the car...
    shs is also right ...it is almost impossible to not become an evangelist and even more obsessed.
    skymaster is oh so right, This car is a ...a life changing event.
    Thank you rch for being so open and honest. He said it best with ...driving on sunlight. I'm buying into an entire philosophy. (Those are great words.)

My hobby has become my MS. I pamper her. My PV system allows me to drive on sunlight that rch shares with me. Life is good. There must be something legal about having this much fun. I hope to live to be 100, still driving my MS, until they can dig a hole, roll me and Tessie into the pit, and push the dirt in on top of us both.

rch, I hope you can relate that others share your madness, we are all going crazy, but it's good crazy and you are not alone.

One comment in an April thread says it all. I can't forget it.
    Velo1 said. "My wife also commented that I am most eager to run errands for her. Just last week she said we need bread and milk for tomorrow. I volunteered to go to the store. I returned with the milk, and then went back to buy the bread. what fun!"
  • edited November -1
    There must be something ILLEGAL about having this much fun.
  • edited November -1
    @ akikiki: LOL! Oh dear me. I'm in tears of laughter. My eldest daughter is giving me that "freeky parent" teenage look and I can't explain.

Cheers (says he swallowing a mouthful of Rose)!
  • edited November -1
    I usually settle down about new toys fairly quickly but this car is something else. I am still giving people at my work test drives and discussing it with the wife. I usually do a quick scan of Tesla-related news each morning. I don't search in the same way about Intel, AMD, Cisco or Microsoft/Linux in the same way, but in a way those are more relevant to my job and personal life. I think that says something.

The recent Tesla Model S review by Consumer Reports confirmed my suspicions that this is truly a groundbreaking vehicle.
  • jnbjnb
    edited November -1
    Test "drives" or test "rides"? i don't have my car yet, but have a hard time believing that i will be letting co-workers drive the car. if you are, they are lucky folk, and you are a better man than me.
  • edited November -1
    +1

I'm sure outsiders look at us as being a sect.

never mind !
  • shsshs
    edited November -1
    I almost aways offer someone taking a test ride a chance to drive and about half accept. All guests who have driven our car so far, do so very cautiously. No problem. I think that driving is the best way to experience how both smooth and responsive the car really is.
  • edited November -1
    Van Morrison might call this, "A Beautiful Obsession".
  • edited November -1
    (Sorry for my english.)
    I may seem crude but in my book, BigOil (with the Banksters) rule the world since 1910.
    So this frenzy, this hope that I share with you is really about a very big change in history. A mean to end most of the pollution that is killing us all and the slavery we endure from the oil cartel.

This car is the first that is not a fake to make believe that car companies do make efforts to go green... But they dont, they are the right arm of BigOil and protect their markets of inefficient but lucrative ICE cars.

Elon Musk is a genius, a visionnaire and a cunning businessman.
    The Tesla S is his first masterpiece. But if any big car company decided to make a good EV to fight back, it could do so easily.

This Tesla psychosis that I got bad a while ago even if I can't afford the marvel, is for me about nothing less than a foolish hope to start the real revolution, not only in the car industry, but in the whole energy sector. With sun or wind driven cars, we don't need oil anymore. With solar panels and windmills spreading, we soon will not need coal or nuclear plants. The era of free, clean and independant energy may be just at the corner...

Lastly, I wish to point out that Tesla is alone to fight Goliath. Elon Musk seem tired. I don't know how but we, the former hippies, the nature conscious and the warriors dads and moms to give our children a better future should go to the front to end the destruction of our nature and climat.

I am very afraid that Elon Musk may have "an accident". If I was in command of the world fossil fuel empire, it would be an easy solution...
  • edited November -1
    @jnb, While I still love getting into my MS every day(had it for about 4 weeks now), what is almost more fun is letting other people drive it and get the Tesla grin immediately. Sure they get a little of it just as passengers, but they get the full grin when they get behind the wheel. Sure there is some risk involved with letting other people drive it, but it is so much fun, I would feel guilty not sharing it.