Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Flac and Apple Lossless Support?

edited November -1 in Model S
Has anyone heard an update on when these formats will be supported?

Comments

• kw1kw1
    edited November -1
    FLAC is already supported. I play all my albums via CDs ripped to a memory stick inserted into MS. FLAC format at 16 bit, 44.1khz (CD lossless) and they play flawlessly. I have played FLAC formatted as high as 24 bit 96 kHz (hi res download) and it works fine as well.
  • edited November -1
    Apple lossless (ALAC) is a proprietary format from Apple. It was finally made available to others as open-source, and royatly free late in 2011, but it's adoption has been rather poor outside of Apple.

This is also true of Windows WMA lossless, another proprietary format that is rarely available in anything other than Microsoft's products.

Best to stick with non-propritary formats like FLAC lossless, although that means transcoding your music library.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks for the info but Transcoding would mean duplicate files. iTunes does not seem to support FLAC for importing at least. I am not sure if it plays it either. When I moved my computers off Linux and onto Apple OSX I moved my music as well. I now either import at the highest lossy format or Apple Lossless.

It would be a shame to have to downgrade my music to lossy format or duplicate it in an additional format just for the car.
  • edited November -1
    Very pleased that the Model S supports FLAC music tracks in 24 bit, high-sample rate formats. I have thousands of these high resolution studio master recordings stored on a server that are played back as part of my home audio system. I will not have to convert the files to another format. More and more recordings are being produced and made available in FLAC 24-bit, 88kHz to 192kHz formats, to be played back on home audio systems using newer components that take advantage of this better sound quality. Great that Tesla S supports this for the audio enthusiasts.

My Tesla S resides in Oxnard, California
  • kw1kw1
    edited November -1
    As for duplicate files. Yes I did have to take some time to re-rip all of my CDs to FLAC but the files are stored on a memory stick (for use in the MS) so there is no duplication on my Mac. Lately I have been using a program called Fidelia to listen to the FLAC on the MAC. However iTunes is more integrated, so I do not have an ideal solution other than to keep one format on my MAC and another (FLAC) on a memory stick for the MS. There are several programs that will convert ALAC to FLAC and the conversion is worth the effort. The lossless files make a big difference in the MS sound.
  • edited November -1
    anybody have any recommendations for hard drives to keep in the tesla to store FLACs? I have a Linn server system for my digital audio and will be playing 192kHz files as well.
  • edited November -1
    I'm using a 256gb Intel SSD in a portable enclosure (USB3). Fast to load from the home server and plays flawlessly. I use FLAC files. Probably any good 2.5" external HD will work well, I tend toward overkill...
  • edited November -1
    I recommend the below item. It's physically small, 64GB, does not require additional power and is relatively cheap. The micro drives are great because you plug them in and they disappear unlike traditional spinning harddrives (which *may* not work) and the usual USB sticks that stick out, just begging to be accidentally swiped.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-64GB-DataTraveler-DTMCK/dp/B00C6GLF78/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1394914968&sr=8-5&keywords=kingston+data+traveler+64gb
  • edited November -1
    I can't fit my music on a 64g at the resolution I prefer. You have to format the drive in FAT32 or it won't work. In fact win7 won't format it correctly even if you tell it to use FAT32... Vexed me for a while before I figured it out. Had to use a 3rd party format program. I think XP would do it correctly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • edited November -1
    I am mac based but will be copying my FLACs from my linn server. I need at least a terabyte. Any suggestions what drive to get?
  • edited November -1
    It took me a while to figure out how to deal with anthologies using flac on the Model S, so I wrote it up:

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/flac-music-file-tagging-experiments-and-recommendations
  • edited November -1
    I've been using this device for about 6 months with fine results:

Silicon Power Rugged Armor A80 1 TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EWTL7C/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Fast access from the PC to update library & plenty of space. I was using a 128G stick, but I was bumping up to the size limit so I switched to this.
  • edited November -1
    dear rbergquist
    did the silicon power A80 cause the whole system to reboot, because each time i plug it in, my whole electronic system and the screen reboots.
    thanks
  • edited November -1
    Found the solution - remove any executable files (*.exe) from the hard drive and then it loads fine without rebooting
  • edited November -1
    Just got my Tesla. Have a ton of music in Apple Lossless, which of course doesn't work.

Anyone know if this will change? Meanwhile I'm converting to AIFF. I hate to go backwards, especially in a car so technologically advanced as this - but looks like I will.

Is there a way to make a playlist or import a playlist?
  • edited November -1
    Apple Lossless (ALAC) used to be proprietary but as TeslaTap said, was open sourced years ago. I would disagree that support for it is lacking...most players support it now and it has wide adoption among receivers and pre-pros. If the unit supports Airplay, then ALAC support is baked in. Most cars support it since they usually license iPod/iPhone support from Apple but Tesla does not, relying on Bluetooth integration. HDTracks and Linn, which are popular HD music download sites support ALAC and FLAC for purchases.

AIFF is actually "Apple Interchange File Format", which Apple created in the late 1980s to describe PCM data ripped from CDs which became possible from their first CD-ROM hardware for Macs (I still have one in my garage). AIFF is uncompressed data and is still used in the recording industry. FLAC was created to cut the extreme file sizes of uncompressed data, especially when it was created 15 years ago when hard drives weren't that big. And in the early days of AIFF when if you had a hard drive it was measured in megabytes, a ripped song might be as big as the entire hard drive.
  • edited November -1
    Why on Earth would you transcode to AIFF? All my files are in ALAC and I did a batch conversion to FLAC using XLD, which preserves the directory structure.

I copy the whole thing onto a 512GB SSD that sits in the cup-holder.

Model S plays 24/192 without issue.

Of course Model S should play ALAC, stupid that it doesn't.
  • edited November -1
    ALAC can be added pretty easily with a software update, and maybe they might someday. The computational requirements on ALAC support aren't any different than FLAC and Apple even provided example source code for developers.