Model S

Miles per kwh?

edited November -1 in Model S
Okay, I'm really new to this EV stuff so bare w me.
Just a basic question, for basic commute type driving...
What's a typical number of miles per kwh of electric charge?
Thanks..

Comments

• edited November -1
    In my 60 I'm seeing:
    276 (seen today) for really range-enhancing... Not a whole lot of fun. You accelerate slower than a Prius and do 55...
    305 for leisurely, conservative driving.
    370-385 for driving it as spiritedly as I would a Porsche...
  • edited November -1
    i see similar for my 85. trips to higher altitudes use more and the return trips less
  • edited November -1
    Your maximum average speed makes a <i>huge</i> difference.
    Change in altitude or hills makes a huge difference.

Running the A/C on cold, radio, or headlights have negligible impact.
  • edited November -1
    and that is WHr/mile not KWHr/mile :)
    put differently, use .31 KWHr/mile or, at 11 cents per KWHr of energy, 3.4 cents per mile.
  • edited November -1
    Theoretical since everyone else is giving you wh/mile, if the 85 gives you 265 miles, then it would give you about 3.11 miles/kwh. Though that will vary a lot depending on driving habits.
  • edited November -1
    Using lola's stat, it would be 3.22 miles/kwh
  • edited November -1
    In general I get 3.5 miles per kWh. That's driving it like a normal car. Sometimes spirited, sometimes conservatively.
  • edited November -1
    Todd

You can expect somewhere between 2.5 to 3 miles per kwh, obviously your driving style has a major influence. Note that charging efficiency also needs to be factored in (and will reduce these numbers) if you want to calculate how much more energy you'll draw from the utility or your solar panels.
  • edited November -1
    @ToddMG:

Please define what you mean by "Basic commute type driving." Stop and go on the freeway during rush hour, or mostly 70 mph driving plus a few miles of surface streets? Hilly or flat?

The Trip Meter (Controls -> Trips/Range) shows you what you are actually averaging in terms of energy use, over the long term (until you reset it).

So far I've collected data from 20 different Model S's using this <a href="http://bit.ly/teslasurvey1">survey form</a> and a tally sheet I kept at the Menlo Park Coffee on July 7th.

Here are the sorted results from 20 different Model S's of all types (using Trip meter data for longest trip in the display):

Wh/mi
    319 Slow and careful drivers
    330 (Median = 331)
    339 (Average = 341.7)
    414 Dealer demo P85+ car

However, the "EPA Rated Range" displayed on the instrument panel is calculated using 300 to 307 Wh/mi (cause of variance not apparent from the data), which means that the rated range displayed by the Model S is just too optimistic, by 3 to 30%, depending on your own driving style.

Note also that you don't get to use all 85 kWh in the battery, but only about 81.6 kWh before the rated range display reaches 0 miles. The car will still go another 10-15 miles after it reaches "empty" (0 rated miles), but it's best to avoid such situations.
  • edited November -1
    I have 5,300 miles averaging 296 wh/miles.

Yes, I used A/C and Heat. I use cruise control and drive speed limit plus 5 mph. In Connecticut
  • edited November -1
    good rule of thumb (so u don't run out of juice) 3 miles per kwh. should get u there very time.
  • edited November -1
    279 wh/m to date. Going to break 5000 miles tomorrow.
    Jeff
  • edited November -1
    Please define what you mean by "Basic commute type driving." Stop and go on the freeway during rush hour, or mostly 70 mph driving plus a few miles of surface streets? Hilly or flat?
    =======
    40 mile commute each way, 95% freeway, moderate traffic, 70-75 mph at times but average speed = 45 mph, mostly flat, few hills.

Thanks for all the info!
  • edited November -1
    I have Model S 85k with 20,804 miles using 6,499.9kWh for an average 312.4 Wh/mi. About one-half of those miles have been at normal highway speeds +/- five mph up and down the west coast, otherwise typical 30-to-40 mile local trips, 80% freeway, one steep hill approaching home base.
  • edited November -1
    367 for my S85+ 11,000 San Diego Miles

Some fast, some slow, lots of hills.

The hill data is pretty ugly.
  • edited November -1
    That should read P85+ sorry
  • edited November -1
    Florida flatness and mild temperatures aid S85 economy: 290 WH/mi. In first week of ownership.
  • edited November -1
    To convert Wh/mi to mi/KwH..

mi/kwh = 1 / ( # Wh/mi ) * 1000

e.g.
    280 Wh/mi = 1/280 * 1000 = 3.57 mi/KwH
    330 Wh/m = 1/330 * 100 = 3.03 mi/KwH
  • edited November -1
    @chunky. easier to just do it this way

1000 / Watt hours per mile = Miles per KwH.

Same formula just easier to do in your head if you simplify it.
  • edited November -1
    the simple answer to the question asked is

Three miles per KwH plus or minus a 1/2 mile.
  • edited November -1
    @Roamer : I have been relying on compilers for far too long to simplify things like that for me, to the point where I didn't think about simplifying it! Thanks for pointing that out.
  • edited November -1
    In Texas so fairly fast driving, my 21k miles average is 340 wh/mile
  • edited November -1
    @Chunky, Us old guys always look for the easy way out.

I had to smile that we Tesla people put up all kinds of data and information to answer a really simple, really basic question.

Sometimes we people in Tesla land can make an answer to a simple question very complicated.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe.

or

around three miles per KwH.
  • edited November -1
    Kwh?? kWh!! Watt, not watt. Because it's a name.
  • edited November -1
    22,000 miles and life time average is 300Wh/mile...

I average about 290 in the spring/summer and about 320 in the dead of winter...