Model X

Closest Competition to the Model X

2»

Comments

• edited November -1
    Bailyhill,

If it's only about pure operating $ math get a Chevy Cruze and throw it away every 3 years. Probably cheaper than any of your scenarios. Haven't looked much at Econ boxes lately but there are numerous cars cheaper than the ones you studied.

Or a really great bike would be even cheaper.

Hard to factor in all the reasons we own things.
  • edited November -1
    I also did an analysis, to determine the tradeoffs of keeping my 2011 3-series BMW versus getting the 60 KWh Model S. The cost-to-own figures were from edmunds.com for the BMW and extrapolated from the Nissan Leaf for the Model S. The results were as follows:

5-year ownership costs

BMW Tesla
    Depreciation $16,000.00 $36,000.00
    Taxes $750.00 -$3,440.00
    Maintenance $8,000.00 $5,000.00
    Repairs $7,000.00 $2,000.00
    Fuel $12,500.00 $1,750.00
    Insurance $3,450.00 $5,500.00

Totals $47,700.00 $46,810.00

It was after I did this analysis that I put down a deposit on a Model X.
  • edited November -1
    @baileyhill14

It's really quite simple, Gary...If you don't want to buy one of Tesla's models, then don't.

See how simple that was?

Never mind the inherent, long term ecological, environmental, personal and public health ramifications for yourself and your children (and your children's children) that accompany the purchase and usage of an ICE-based "BMW" (or any ICE) instead.

I'm sure you'll manage to reconcile your guilty conscious with the knowledge that you're behind the wheel of a vehicle that was specifically "designed for driving pleasure", and is touted as being the "ultimate driving machine", but will you manage to reconcile your angst when you find yourself glaring at my rapidly disappearing into the distance tail lamps as I leave you 'behind', both literally and figuratively?

Drive humane. Drive electric.
  • edited November -1
    allusion;
    guilty <strike>conscious</strike> conscience

goodrich;
    You can force fixed font, enabling tables, with the <pre> tag
    <pre>
    5-year ownership costs
    BMW Tesla
    Depreciation $16,000.00 $36,000.00
    Taxes $750.00 -$3,440.00
    Maintenance $8,000.00 $5,000.00
    Repairs $7,000.00 $2,000.00
    Fuel $12,500.00 $1,750.00
    Insurance $3,450.00 $5,500.00
    Totals $47,700.00 $46,810.00
  • edited November -1
    @Brian H

Yeah, spell check/editing isn't available for anyone in a thread other than the threads' author, so whaddaya gonna do? I guess I'm resigned to being some "grammar nazi's" victim.
  • edited November -1
    Subbing "conscious" for "conscience" seems to be a common one. Some actually think it makes sense! Thus is ignorance spread.
  • edited November -1
    Miggy;
    It is obvious BMW is going whole-hog (or claiming to) on the hybrid route. Their cars are getting even more complex, so their service revenue streams are safe.
  • edited November -1
    I know that this thread is about comparable vehicles. Right new, there are none. The Audi Q I will be a good contender, but it is still 2yrs later than the Model X, if all goes as planned. I am not getting my Model X because of the money I will save on gas. I intend to get the Model X because it has features that I want, and because it is an American car.

The lack of the ICE is good for the environment, and I can back my car into my garage without filling it with fumes. Also, I will be able to fill it up (so to speak), right at home. No trips to the gas station. No oil changes. I know the car still needs to be serviced, and that the service does not come cheap, but it is less frequent. Tesla still has to pay the cost related to the service centers, and if we want Tesla to be a viable company we have to pay for the service we get.
  • edited November -1
    The Italdesign is a 3-row 6-seater, 540 km. range, AWD. No price or release date. Vapour?
  • edited November -1
    The Italdesign Giugiaro Clipper MPV Concept is pillarless and has gullwing doors. This makes for a beautiful concept, but it seems very impractical to me. The point of falcon wings over gull wings is that you can park in a normal parking spot and not worry about banging the car next to you. Combine gullwings with a pillarless design and it seems like the vehicle would just fold in half in a crash. So rather than seeing this as a true competitor, I see this more as an indication that there are companies out there (VW?) who would like to create a competitor for the Model X.

Based on the expected delays for the Model X, such competitors might have a bit more time to tweak their designs.
  • edited November -1
    Hmmm... The <b>Italdesign Giugiaro Clipper MPV Concept</b> seems to be missing something... Oh, yeah! Storage space. I don't think the third row would exist if this were a real product. In fact, the second row would almost certainly end up being a fold down, removable bench.
  • brpbrp
    edited November -1
    I am waiting to decide between an X and the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, which is available in other markets now.

When I look at the two I am comparing the capabilities and the energy use. I'd rather have an X, but if the Outlander is half the price and I can do 80% of my driving on electricity.......

I'm a fan of the falcons and the third row, the X wins in that regard and obviously the pure EV and Supercharger availability.
  • edited November -1
    I could use a cheap electric daily use car, 80 miles being fine for this local, paired with a nice hybrid plug-in truck. It could probably do 75% of its tasks on the battery. I just hate the old fashioned solid rear axles they insist on using to this day.