Colorado

Roadtrip to the Black Hills Anyone?

edited November -1 in Colorado
I started a discussion on Kevin's post for his Fremont road trip and thought it better if I created a new post. I just learned (by looking at new Super Charger locations on my car's maps) that Rapid City South Dakota has a new Super Charger. This opens some great possibilities for me as my brother-in-law David is the Chamber of Commerce Director for the community of Custer, 40 miles west of Rapid City.

The area is awesome for cruising around the hills - Custer State Park; Mount Rushmore; Crazy Horse monument; Wind Cave; Jewell Cave; Wildlife Loop with tons of bison, pronghorns, wild mules, turkeys and the like; and the real wild west.

We think there will soon be a Super Charger in Cheyenne, WY and Lusk, WY making the 400 mile trip easy from Evergreen - 370 miles from Denver. About 6 hours and a great spring venue for those interested.

I would be happy to coordinate anyone interested and I am thinking of late May. There are many RV parks for intermittent charging and lodging in cabins and lodges are plentiful in the spring before the tourists arrive.

Dave, my brother-in-law is working to get a Level 2 charging station at the Custer Chamber office. They are host to many auto club tours in the summer so this could be a great outing - it is absolutely beautiful with scenery rivaling Colorado.

This is the route planned for the Tesla coast-to-coast connection so we could be a beta-test!

Let me know on this post if you have an interest and if we have 6-10 of us, I will get started with Dave on planning!

Rod in Evergreen, CO

Comments

• edited November -1
    I would be interested, Rod. Sounds like fun. Lusk is on line as of Friday, and Cheyenne should be any day now.
    Hart in Fort Collins
  • edited November -1
    I would also be interested in the Spring....looks like all the SCs will soon be in place for this.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I bet we can get 6 or more by spring!

With Super Chargers this will be a blast and free!

Rod
  • edited November -1
    Rod, here is my contact info: 970-222-2320
    Hart
  • edited November -1
    Keep me in the loop as well. Sounds like a blast.
    Adam in Denver
  • edited November -1
    Hart and Adam - you are on my list.

Rod
  • edited November -1
    A quick update - Dave now thinks he can get us heavily discounted hotel/cabin accommodation (possibly free). We have four of us interested and it could be a great way to show the long range possibilities of our cars.

Looking ahead, I see some possible dates as:

June 6 - June 8th
    or
    June 13th - June 14th
    or
    May 30th - June 1st

Let me know your thoughts on target dates and any preferences!

Rod in Evergreen, CO
  • edited November -1
    June 6-8 sounds good, Rod. But this far out, I'm pretty flexible. Let me know if I can help in any way. Happy New Year!

Hart in Fort Collins
  • edited November -1
    So far all would work for me...
  • edited November -1
    Bummer... I was hoping to join you, but I'll be in Alaska on those dates.
  • edited November -1
    @Andercam Alaska is great that time of year! Done that once on motorcycle & once by cruise ship & rail. Someday I will do the Alaska Marine Highway & roadtrip with the S (the whole State seems to be set up for RVs).
  • edited November -1
    Baring a conflict , you can count me in, Milo
  • edited November -1
    @ Kevin - We're doing the cruise/rail thing.
    We've also booked a number of small plane and helicopter day excursions... looking forward to it.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks guys - I will let you know if the June 6th - June 8th target dates work.
  • edited November -1
    I am now targeting May 16th - 18th as it is before the heavy tourist season in the Black Hills and my Chamber of Commerce brother-in-law, Dave Ressler, is coordinating heavily discounted hotel rooms and FREE passes to many of the monuments (Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park and Wildlife Loop, Wind Cave, Jewell Cave and much more!

Should be a fun weekend - about 400 miles one way and the route Elon Musk plans to take coast-to-coast with his family. It will depend on the Super Charger in/around Cheyenne. Lusk and Rapid City are already operational.

We would leave about 9:00 am from somewhere in Denver, possibly even the Service Center so those that want to "top off" can (I will still need to coordinate that bit with them). Cheyenne is 100 miles and total trip will be about 6 hours with a charge stop in Lusk.

Once in Custer we will have access to any number of RV parks with Level 2 charging, possibly even at the Chamber of Commerce office if they get things arranged.

They will probably advertise this as a local car enthusiast event so we can plan a bit of a show... even an impromptu parade down 6 blocks of Main Street!

There will be an annual western art auction among other local attractions. The local specialty is Bison and we may even have a barbeque in the Chamber parking lot.

Pencil in your calendar and drop me a note at rodhoffman#springmail.com if you want to receive personal updates as this develops!

Rod in Evergreen, CO
  • edited November -1
    I have put the new dates on my calendar.
  • edited November -1
    Kevin,

Great! Can you please send me your e-mail again to [email protected]? I am creating a list of interested folks separate from this forum.

Rod
  • edited November -1
    Hi, Rod -

Count me as very interested for the May Black Hills tour. I'll send you my email.
  • edited November -1
    You are on the list Steve!
  • edited November -1
    We are now at 10 cars and counting - should be a fun event for all.

I have a consulting gig in Casper right after on Monday and have found a nice option for charging using a contact with our group.

This cross-country tripping is getting easier by the day!

Rod in Evergreen, CO
  • edited November -1
    I would be very interested in joining (barring any unforeseen obstacles).

I live in Denver; phone:303 777 0710

Ted Lichtmann
  • edited November -1
    Just left you a message - call me anytime at 303-517-9430

Rod in Evergreen, CO
  • edited November -1
    Rod - i can't make it due to work commitments. Also, the Mt. Evans Rally will be either 1st or 2nd Saturday in June. I am meeting with the Park Service soon to nail down the exact date, so I don't want our events to overlap. Thanks for putting this ride together.
  • edited November -1
    @Velo1: I would be interested in the Mt. Evans Rally. Any details available?
  • edited November -1
    @Hart - still working out details, and the most important is to get clearance with Mt. Evans park.

Last year we had 29 Model S cars. We will likely meet up by 9:30 a.m. for 10:00 a.m. announcements and roll out from the Clear Creek County Middle School just South of the Ranger Station on HWY 103 off I-70. Likely go back to Beau Jo's Pizza afterwards.

I will post a new thread once the details are set so everyone can see what the plans are all about.

Here is the post-mortem from last year's event including lots of photos and video - enjoy