New Jersey

Family first road trip New Jersey to Rhode Island

Well a guess a snow storm was not the best time to try out our first road trip but what the heck.

Loaded up the family about 9am Sunday and drove like a bat out of heck from Central NJ at about 70 mph with temp at 70. Planned on getting to Westchester Tesla with about 150 miles on car grad a quick 30 40 miles and power into RI with miles to spare.

Did not work out as I thought. Pulled in with about 80 miles on car spent almost 4 hours hearing it from the family and charging. Oops did I mention we have a 60 watt. Yeah well family was not that upset ate walked around the mall a few times and go out on the road. This time I was smart drove much more conservatively about 65 on cruise control and NO Heat. Hey life requires a little sacrifice. Pulled in at Mystic Aquarium not that I needed the charge,, had to get coffee, tea & coco for my passengers. Charged for less than an hour at pulled into RI with miles to spare.

After a round of Ice cube jokes from the family and a few test drives, searched around town for a charger, that was fun. Between the hospital that had to prominent ones up front in the public parking lot free access but I guess since it was sol close to the door the 2 IC vehicles could not pass up the opportunity.

RIC (Rhode Island College) had a 2 free charging station with open access sign said 4 hours but I let it sit overnight.

Well on the trip back will pry to push it back to Westchester Tesla to borrow some juice,, defrost and prepare for the final 90 mile trek back home... wish me luck stay tuned...

Comments

• edited November -1
    Rough first road trip, but not a surprising outcome considering the temperature, driving habits, and battery size. In a year or two this won't even matter because you'll be able to hit a Supercharger (or two!) and charge much faster.

P.S. - Please tell me you got the supercharging option!
  • edited November -1
    We drove to Narragansett this summer, took Parkway to Tappan Zee to 95, made it to Milford SC having used only 100 miles of range. Great location for trips to RI.
  • edited November -1
    thanks for the post. I just ordered by 85W S and will get it in late Feb. i live in Ocean County and have a kid at URI so your shared experience is most valuable
  • edited November -1
    To Boston from Saddle River, NJ. Stopped at Milford SC (324mph) for a top-off and parked in garage at Seaport Hotel with 112 left. Cruise control on 65. Temp 43 to 62. Weather clear. ChargePoint j1772 30 amp 18mph at the hotel and home with a stop at Darien, Ct SCharger for a shot - 365mph. Home was70 miles so no worries. Great trip - lots of neck injuries for fellow drivers though.
  • edited November -1
    William,

Looks like Boston is doable as long as you can get a charge in town while there. Otherwise it becomes a one-way ticket. Rhode Island took advantage of the Federal grants that expired in August to build out about 50 charging sites.

Jonathan
  • edited November -1
    Jonathan:

While in Boston, I looked up Charge-Point and other (PlugShare) locations and there are a ton of them. Just slow at 30amps and 18 mph though. RV parks have 50amp Nema 14-50 plugs so that is another option.

Bill
  • edited November -1
    Bill,

I found a free 240V/22mph charger 5 miles from my destination in the western suburbs of Boston. This is my best option until the Sturbridge SC becomes a reality. Greenwich also would be helpful until then because I come up about 20 miles short even with a max charge and it is just a short detour from 684. I had to stop in Darien instead a get a quick 50 miles in 15 minutes, but the traffic was bad on both 95 and the Merritt.

Jonathan
  • edited November -1
    Greenwich Rhode Island just came on line so that is good for a shot at Boston and back...