Florida

Sunpass and Tesla in Florida

edited November -1 in Florida
I was directed to come to Florida forum. Do we need an external pass or in new cars regular sunpass will work? Also is toll by plate a viable option costing the same? I have placed the order and now closing various loops.

Comments

• edited November -1
    I was informed by the service center rep that the sunpass should go directly behind the rear view mirror but slightly towards the passenger side. In other words not in the middle of the mirror but about 1/3 on the driver side and 2/3 on the passenger side. he mentioned there is a spot there in which it works. Disclosure, Ive yet to try it out just passing along what the Tesla rep told me.
  • edited November -1
    I was told to get the SunPass that gods in front bumper as it may not work through front windshield. Dania beach service center will do this for you for free
  • edited November -1
    Thanks Erik and famigo. I will get it installed at Dania Beach as per your suggestion.
  • edited November -1
    Just for the record - I have a new suction-cup (portable) sunpass device that works just fine through the windshield, even for sunpass plus (airport parking)
  • edited November -1
    Geverit, did the portable work anywhere on the window or only in the dotted area?

Not enough dotted area for the two cards I need to install.
  • edited November -1
    I have the portable transponder mounted just below the dotted area and offset to the passenger side. It works fine. I haven't tried it in any other locations.
  • edited November -1
    What is the front bumper Sunpass? Where can you get it?
  • edited November -1
    The transponder that is attached to the front bumper is the same at the portable transponder with suction cups.

Larry
  • edited November -1
    The regular transponder I had did not work no matter where I put it.
    In Tesla West Palm beach they told me to by the external transponder that they will install for free. It is a different transponder, I called sun pass and i am waiting for it now.
    If you already have an account with surpass and your plate is updated in the website you can go through sun pass lane even without a transponder, they will charge the tolls to your account , no extracharge ,this is as per sun pass
  • edited November -1
    The external transponder which goes in the nose cone is NOT the same as the portable transponder with suction cups. It is longer and heavier with bolts for mounting and no suction cups. You must call Sunpass and request to purchase it since it is not an option on their website. It cost the same as the portable transponder. West Palm Tesla installed mine in the nose of the Tesla. Then I got the HOV decal from the County for $5 and finally the 95 Express sticker for free use of the congestion lanes in Broward and Dade.
  • edited November -1
    My removable Sunpass works fine just under my rear view mirror.
  • edited November -1
    so just back from house in St Pete and two tesla owners live down town they looked nice.mine being delivered in uk june 23 so looking forward to a few days being a little boy all over again!!BC
  • edited November -1
    Nice brian
  • edited November -1
    If you'll be using the 95 Express lanes in Miami-Dade & Broward and want to take advantage of free tolls for EV/hybrids, get the "suction cup" Sunpass so that it is not permanently mounted on your windshield. You'll want to put the Sunpass away when entering the 95 Express lanes, because Sunpass might charge you even if you have the HOV decal (which, btw, is one of the uglier stickers that you can mount on a car...)
  • edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a Tesla, does anyone have anything
    bad about the experience of owning a Tesla that I should consider before buying?
  • edited November -1
    I am thinking about buying a Tesla, does anyone have anything
    bad about the experience of owning a Tesla that I should consider before buying?

Off topic for this thread, so you probably won't get replies here. Suggest you browse the main Model S thread here. Start with the "read first" thread that usually gets bumped to the first page or two, and use volkerize.com to search older threads. If you haven't found the Tesla Motors Club forum, lots of info there too & a better search function. You'll find plenty of critiques/complaints, but none that outweigh the positives and experience of driving for most of us. There are some posts by people who decided to buy something else, so those may help you decide. Also, consider joining the FL Tesla Enthusiasts club, which will give you access to e-mail addresses of other owners in your area that you can contact for information/advice.
  • edited November -1
    I just recently learned that my Sunpass isn't working, and apparently has not been working from the beginning (I just got all the Sunpass bills in the mail).

@adripereira is right- so long as you have an active/open account with them, they will charge your account- but apparently not consistently. The bills sent to me had all the surcharges they add for non Sunpass drivers.

Anyways, I called the Sunpass number as was lucky enough to get a Tesla enthusiast, who was more than helpful- here is what I learned.

1. Extra fees will be dropped if you make the call regarding Sunpass not being properly read (though I don't want to do this everytime I use to Sunpass)

2. For whatever reason, it is not uncommon for the Sunpass to be unreadable through the windshield- AND IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE ANY TINT OR HEAT DEFLECTING COATING ON YOUR WINDSHIELD.
    I have the UV coating on my windshield. crap. The Sunpass gentleman said that some people have had a 'window' cut out of the coating for the sunpass on other cars, but you would see the difference- plus there is not guarantee that would resolve the problem with Tesla.

3. He mentioned the external transponder, but the way he was describing it, I thought it would be an eyesore on the front of the car.

Did I read it right on this thread- that it can be installed INSIDE the front cone?? Has anybody had this done?

and while I am asking questions, has anybody tried to remove the sticker Sunpass without damaging the UV tint???
  • edited November -1
    @ sklancha

I ordered the external bumper for my Tesla directly from the Expressway Authority. I had the Longwood Tesla Service Center install it for me, which took about 15 minutes. They do pop off the nose cone and strap it to the car, just inside of the nose cone. Works great. No eyesores of stickers or transponders inside your car either. The downsides are (a) not getting any audible beep when passing through the tolls (which you would not get from the sticker anyway) and (b) inability to move the transponder from vehicle-to-vehcile, when desired. Otherwise, a great solution.
  • edited November -1
    So, you don't see it at all?? The sunpass guy suggested that it was rather "unsightly",,,

Did Tesla charge you to have it installed? If so, how much?
  • edited November -1
    @ sklancha

I also had the Longwood Service Center install the Sunpass unit inside the nose cone. No charge and it took about 15 minutes. The unit is unsightly because it's made to screw to the front license plate where it can easily be seen.

What Tesla does is pop the nose cone, use some zip ties to strap it to a frame member, and replace the nose cone. Now it's invisible, secured, and works perfectly.

The only problem for me was the time it took for Sunpass to get me the external unit -- about a week. In the meantime I racked up some toll violations because my window unit worked erratically.

You can't pick the unit up -- you have to call Sunpass, order it for about $26, and then they will mail it to you.
  • edited November -1
    Well it sounds like a perfect solution! Thanks.
  • edited November -1
    Are there temporary sun-passes available?
  • edited November -1
    I hope to be receiving my Model S in about 2 weeks. I called SunPass and the person I talked to didn't have a clue. Did they do away with the external transponders?
  • edited November -1
    I am a 2016 S75 owner. Had a lot of problems with Sunpass and also EZpass in New Jersey. I travel a lot, and yes I did drive my car from Florida to New Jersey and back. I purchased a small, stick on, Sunpass,and glued it to the OUTSIDE of my windshield, up near the top but not in front of anything important. That was about six months ago. It still works perfectly. I think it only cost $4. It's a simple easy way around this issue.
  • edited November -1
    I took the portable unit out of my Toyota and placed it in my Model X just below the rear view mirror below the camera. Took a trip from Tampa to Miami a couple of weeks ago via the Sunshine Bridge, Alligator Alley, and Florida turnpike. It didn't miss one toll, everything registered without a problem. I also registered the Tesla to the same account as the Toyota.