New Jersey

JFK Supercharger - Really?

edited November -1 in New Jersey
So, am I the only one who thinks a four bay SC station at JFK is of little use to anyone? I would think that people who have teslas would take car services in to the airport and not their cars. I would think that people traveling from Maine to Florida would not very much like to take a detour to JFK to charge their car. I would think that people who travel in Long Island would not be too encouraged to make a trip to JFK's service roads to charge their car. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any reason for anyone to go to JFK to charge their Tesla.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Picking up a passenger, while waiting for the flight to come in.
  • edited November -1
    Going to/fro the Hamptons
  • edited November -1
    OK. I stand corrected.
    There would be at least 12 who would gnarl through the Belt, Van Wyck & JFK traffic to go to "Cargo service road" and charge up. And then gnarl out.
  • edited November -1
    That's probably why they put only 4 bays.
  • edited November -1
    Think of it as being "just another supercharger" when there is going to be one every 30 miles or so...
  • edited November -1
    Looking for where to get my Tesla washed in the Morristown NJ area. What gear during an automatic wash: neutral?? tow gear?? I heard that Tesla doesn't recommend automatic car washes.
  • edited November -1
    Well the Short Hills Mall folks bring the cars to Summit Car Wash. I asked at the store and they said tow mode.
  • edited November -1
    The same guys who own Summit also own the one in Madison which is a little closer to Morristown. My car has probably been washed 30 times with no noticeable harm.
  • edited November -1
    I posted the following reply in response to a similar question in the New York thread, but I'll repost it here as well, since you're asking the same question:

As this the JFK Travel Plaza is a privately-owned operation, and as they seem to be trying to specialize in alternative fuel options (They are touting J1772 charging as well, plus E85 and biodiesel), and given that this general location never appeared in Tesla's proposed Supercharger map...I think it's safe to assume that they reached out to Tesla, and Tesla probably said "Hey, why not? It can't hurt." Especially considering the hassles and hurdles they are facing in getting Superchargers installed in New Jersey and even New York (I've heard NOTHING on any Superchargers getting installed anywhere along 87/NY State Throughway, the gateway to Upstate NY & Canada), I'm sure Tesla jumped at the opportunity to get a NY Supercharger installed with ease.

I don't think the JFK Supercharger is intended to replace any other New York Superchargers, it looks to be an addition. And, as ADJ2ENT pointed out, anyone from Philadelphia or southern New Jersey heading to the south shore/eastern end of Long Island may find it very useful, as the Veranzano Bridge/Belt Parkway is a common route for that trip. Although, I have to boast, we made it from the Newark, Delaware Supercharge back to the Hamptons last night on a full charge :) We had intended to stop at the JFK Supercharger, but after some quick math, we realized that we could make it home without stopping...And we did, with 9 miles to spare :)