Model S

Waiting time for a new Model S

edited January 2014 in Model S
Can anyone share what is the waiting time for a new Model S please ?
Also does Tesla have some inventory available for immediate sale if I give up the choice of color and features?

Comments

• edited November -1
    the "broad strokes" reply:

You can get a P85 in about 40 days. Same goes for the P+
    There are stories of people who have gotten their P85s in just over 30 days. I would not bank on this, perosonally.

You can get an S85 in about 90 days.
    The timetable for a 60 KW Model S is similar to the S85

They do have some inventory for immediate sale.
  • edited November -1
    I finalized my order on Dec 24 and was told that I should be behind the wheel by early to mid march at the latest... Here's hoping :)
  • edited November -1
    I placed by order 11/29/13 for my P85 and picked it up 12/30/13. They told me I could have picked it up sooner but I was out of town the week before.
  • edited November -1
    Call TM ownership and waive the 2 weeks standard waiting period after confirmation and finalize your order. You'll get the car built that much faster...
  • edited November -1
    I finalized my S85 order on 11/29. Just received a note from Tesla today indicating that my tentative pickup date is February 25. When I placed the order in the showroom, they estimated deliver by 3rd week in January. So I'm a little deflated by the added month.
  • edited November -1
    for Europe add 3-4 months... :-(
  • edited November -1
    I finalized S85 order on 20 Dec. it says I should expect in late Feb.
  • edited November -1
    roughly the same as amitb00
  • edited November -1
    Risquare: are you planning to place the order? I know you had asked about wait time earlier and once had cancelled the order since you were missing many luxury features in Model S. Did you research further and are you liking Model S now. If yes, I will like to know how your thought process went and what finally moved the needle for you?
  • edited November -1
    Galve;
    it's pretty hard to bank on anything "perosonally". Whatever that is. ;)
  • edited November -1
    Ordered P85 12/31/13, confirmed 1/13/14, selected option for late-Feb delivery which was still available as of the confirmation date. Ordered first one 12/31/12, delivered 3/16/13. East Coast delivery.
  • edited November -1
    All I can say is: the sooner you order, the sooner you'll get it.
  • edited November -1
    1 to 3 months, but the wait seems like a year....

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas....
  • edited November -1
    ordered P85 on Dec 20, my scheduled delivery date is Feb 22. More like 60 days, even for a P85
  • edited November -1
    I'm very bad about waiting for stuff so I ordered an inventory car. It's in Seattle and I'm in Dallas, so they estimate a 2 week wait for recond and delivery. Still difficult for me. :) Hope to take delivery late next week.
  • edited November -1
    Got lucky; confirmed order for P85 Aug 25, car delivered in Montreal area Sept 18 and I picked her up Sept 20. Exceeding expectations; not one issue, and surprisingly strong winter performance. Cheers.
  • edited November -1
    There is no real backlog. It has always been a bit of the marketing mythology at TM - make it look scarce and hard to get to increase demand/interest. My delivery was last Feb 3, less than 45 days after finalizing, despite supposedly being in the early-adopter frenzy period.

If you are in a big hurry, ask your rep if there's an inventory car available than meets your specifications. Most can get a car within a day or two, generally with a loaner-car discount for any miles on the odometer.
  • edited November -1
    Put another way, it now takes way longer to order a MB, BMW, Mini, Ford, or any new factory-order car than it does a new Model S.
  • edited November -1
    Not any more Dave. Those cars flew out the doors. No loaners within 1000 miles of here now.
  • edited November -1
    Dave, naturally it will take longer to get a Benz, BMW, or a Mini, they have to take the slow boat across the pond. Most companies rather you buy something they have already made in mass quantities.
  • edited November -1
    Model 60 85 kWh ,basic S with few options except fancy paint and leather. Ordered Dec 22, I just got my VIN and notification that the car will be ready for delivery in mid March. The initial date was late Feb so if anything delivery times appear to be slipping slightly. So allowing for transit time, the wait is still 3 months or so for many customers.
    Performance versions and possibly those with lots of options are fulfilled first, these are the most profitably for Tesla.

• edited November -1
    @jordanrichard, it takes 90 days to factory order a BMW or Mercedes for factory delivery in the EU. I have taken European delivery on three cars, never with less than 90 days lead time. TM is way faster than that, even with shipping time.
  • edited November -1
    @bevguy - I think you may have gotten caught behind a batching of cars for international delivery.

Here is somone who ordered an S85 today for cross-country delivery in March. http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/new-model-s-ordered-today-plunge-taken

Anyone take delivery in the US in January that can post their order confirmation and delivery dates?
  • edited November -1
    ordered my 85 in mid Dec, due to arrive Feb 28

good luck
  • edited November -1
    I ordered my P85 on December 10, and am scheduled to pick up on Feb. 25.