Florida

Very weak a/c

edited November -1 in Florida
Just picked up my ms on Friday and the car barely cools the car. In Florida I am going to need WAY better. I will get the windows tinted tomorrow, but this will never do in the summer.
Is this a common problem or is this a call the service center kind of thing?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Tinting windows help out hugely, however, it before calling the center, double check that 1) Temperature setting is set to "LO" instead of whatever degree (main screen) 2) Range Mode conservation is off (deep inside settings) and 3) inside the detailed AC settings, the AC mode is set to on or auto. If all that is good and you still think the AC isn't cutting it, yours isn't performing like mine does.

Locations and specifics for those items can be found in the manual if my descriptions aren't immediately obvious.
  • edited November -1
    Good advice.

Also make sure that the vent settings are not directing the cool air to the windshield.

Larry
  • edited November -1
    Can anyone recommend a good place to get the tinting done in Sarasota? Also, what degree of tinting is recommended?
  • edited November -1
    I suggest putting it on recirculate, as well as the tips above.
  • edited November -1
    I have had 2 cars done with Razor sharp in Venice, top quality, I am very fussy.

941-486-0346

dark for rear window and normal for the driver windows, they will guide you.
  • edited November -1
    The A/C isn't quite up to standards for Florida. Don't forget you can turn it on before you get to the car. This helps immensely. I start 5 minutes before I leave
  • edited November -1
    I live in Sarasota, but I don't have problems with my AC keeping up. I keep the vents set to recirculate and I like to turn the temperature down to the mid 60s with the fan speed on low to keep the noise down. I program the steering wheel's right thumb wheel to easily control the fan speed. If the car has been in the sun and needs quick cooling I initially turn up the fan speed with the thumb wheel, then turn it down to low speed when I am comfortable. In this way I don't have to go two levels down into the touch screen menu to adjust fan speed.

Larry
  • edited November -1
    I went to the Tampa sc and they found it was on Eco . They changed the setting and with all the windows tinted, it feels much better.
  • edited November -1
    Range mode (AC version, not charging) doesn't appear to work too well in high heat. Glad everything worked out!
  • edited November -1
    I have been struggling with my AC as well. I already did the tint, and I was hoping to keep the settings for range mode conservation, so I can push the mileage between charges. My office, home, and my 'old' car were always set at 78 degrees- which is my comfort zone. I can see how the range mode would make it take longer to cool down, but it never seems reach the target temperature. I keep creeping my temperature setting lower, but even then, the MS seems to struggle at keeping a steady temperature during the day. Not a problem once the sun goes down.

I hope I don't have to choose between comfort and range.
  • edited November -1
    There will always be a choice between comfort and range. The key is that it is a spectrum, not a on/off choice. You can be comfortable -and- have good range. Running no AC vs max AC may save you 5-20 miles per 265 miles, but we're talking all highway miles. Range mode is great for saving miles on long trips, but doesn't have the same impact for city driving (it's eclipsed by the impact of other factors).

If you're concerned with conserving miles between charges, test the waters--know what you're saving so you can make the decision as far as the trade-off goes. Turn off econo-mode, set the AC to 3-5 degrees lower than what you'd like it at and see how much it uses. The next time you're driving about the same distance, try the same temp, but with econo-mode on. For city and highway mixed driving, you may find you're only saving 3 miles per 265 charge...not worth it...that's less than a dollar in electricity for most folks and if you're extending range, slowing down 5mph will more than double that 3 mile savings with the AC on full blast (assuming you drive 50+ mph for portions of the drive).

There will always be a choice between range and comfort. Don't make the 'max' choice, because you're not saving as much as you may think; make the reasonable one. If you're not exactly excited to record miles to gauge metrics for a solid choice, simply pick comfort--you're not losing many miles, but we can't tell you how many on the forums as it is too dependent on your particular route characteristics. Think single digits though...
  • edited November -1
    Regarding turning AC on in advance, when we are road-tripping on Superchargers, we do this while our Model S is still plugged up to cool the car on Tesla's nickel.
  • edited November -1
    I have found that in Sarasota "Driving Expressions" does an excellent window tinting job. I have had two cars tinted there. I always talk to Milissa one of the owners there. It's located at a strip shopping center off of Tamiami Trail (US 41) just south of Stickney Point Rd heading south will be on the right side.
  • edited November -1
    Range Mode decreases strength of air/heat
  • edited March 2019
    FOR SALE: 2015 MODEL S 85======$45,000. 33OO0 MILES ----7 ROUND TRIPS TO BOONE N.C. FROM TAMPA
    APPROX. 700 MILES ONE WAY
    FULLY EQUIPPED INCLUDING NAV. SPECIAL WHITE PEARL EXTERIOR PAINT ($1500.) , GLASS PANORAMIC ROOF ($2500), TAN NAPPA LEATHER SEATS ($1500), OBECHE WOOD GLOSS DECOR ($650), TECH PACKAGE WITH AUTOPILOT ($1250) 0RIGINAL COST $91,500.
    PURCHASED 05/05/2015 IN TAMPA. GARAGE KEPT BOTH TAMPA AND N.C. NEAR PERFECT CONDITION. SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY 813 252 9984 OR 813 293 6602 RICK
    E-MAIL [email protected]