Model S

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla Model S Vehicle to Grid - Would anyone want this at their home or work?

edited November -1 in Model S
This is a project Nissan is developing. Executive Summary:

After introducing a 6 kW bi-directional LEAF-To-Home system in Japan last year, the Japanese company is now working on something that will enable powering larger buildings.

Nissan said that based on current Tokyo Electric Power Company’s rates, Vehicle-To-Building led to about 2.5-percent reduction of electrical power use during peak hours, which translates to nearly 500,000 Yen (~$5,000) per year in electrical power cost.

OPEN QUESTION - cannot void warranty. How will batteries hold up?

http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-powers-nissans-advanced-technology-center-in-japan/

Comments

• edited November -1
    I could see this working in a home situation to transfer loads from day to night but will the car be ready to go when you want it during the day? Would the extra cycles be worth the wear on the battery. Seems like a long shot to be attractive.
  • edited November -1
    My feeling is that having grown up in a place where floods and tornadoes where rather commonplace, I'd rather keep the power in the car should evacuation become necessary.

Think of it this way... It's like saying I should siphon gas from the car to power the house generator until the grid is back up.

Basically, I would have solar panels, with battery backup, and possibly a natural gas turbine generator. So there would be no need to use the car for extra backup beyond that.

<hr width="60%">

Now, for a Pickup Truck, it would be an <b><i><u>AWESOME</u></i></b> idea to have power outlets. That way you could operate power tools on a job site, or while doing work out in the field. Like repairing fence posts, and the like.

<b>VIDEO:</b> <a href=" Of Via Motors VTRUX With David West</b></a>
  • edited November -1
    I just see Tesla has put 2GWh of batteries into circulation, and they are sitting and doing nothing 23 hours a day.

Seems like there would be a way for Tesla and Solar City to design something much more elegant that Nissan . . .
  • edited November -1
    than Nissan.
  • edited November -1
    SamO - Tesla can certainly do it. I think the issue is readiness of the asset for immediate use.

If your car was asynchronously depleted to serve grid leveling, what if you needed it full at that moment?

Some drivers may not care if their hours are very predictable, but given that recharging is not instant, what happens when you get that emergency phone call?

Everything that discharges your battery worsens the latency of its availability.

Given that the grid wastes half the power we make in the dumb transmission lines system, I think it's much more interesting to focus resources on getting more and more consumers off the grid.

Local solar with local fixed batteries will transform energy.
  • edited November -1
    @mark

I think your description is traditional monopoly thinking about energy. Even with a full battery having energy "available" for deployment is often more valuable than actually deployment.

Perhaps owners can be part of a network of distributed storage that can provide power but doesn't discharge the entire battery on a daily basis.

Thus you can charge for your daily commute but that still leaves you plenty if work or home needs just a bit.

I'm not sure exactly but as JB recently said "we are a battery company that happens to sell cars."

I look forward to Tesla and solar city's future innovation, whatever they may be.
  • edited November -1
    The settings...
    - my solar does does 45 kWh a day average, worst day so far was 15 kWh
    - house uses 17 kWh average ( probably can drop it to 12 kWh without inconvenience )
    - car uses 10 kWh a day
    - 70 kWh in the battery (=80%) in the morning and I can do anything thrown at me that day

My vision...
    - 25 kW / 100 kWh battery system @ $20k and I am independent ( a little smaller would work too )
    - 125 kWh Models S... that gives me 50 kWh extra car storage to bridge many rainy days
    - my cost then would be 8 cents per kWh. Depending what the utility is paying I would be OK to rent out part of the system to the utility.

When can we get there?
  • edited November -1
    Kleist - sweet. What's everyone else waiting for? Bring it on.

Looks like you're at about 9kW peak production, is that right?
  • edited November -1
    7.7 kW - 23 panels 335W each, 15 South, 8 West. The extended time makes the difference.

My funds are ready - Elon needs to get his act together ( just kidding ). Actually I am delighted to even have a vision.
  • edited November -1
    I just don't see the allure of vehicle to grid - I don't want an unexpectedly depleted car battery, and I agree about the extra cycles, not worth it at all.
  • edited November -1
    I like the idea a lot, but mainly for emergency use
    It's nice to have your MS as power generator for a little while, until power is restored
    We use roughly 600kw/mo, so MS is about 4 days worth of usage
    If let's say software limits your car to only drain up to 50% or so, it'll be still enough to run small stuff in the house a few days, plus you'll still have half the range left in the car
  • Elon says no . . . but what he means is "yes" to auto bidder.
  • My new Ford pickup has a 7.2 kwh generator and can supply power outward, unlike any Tesla. In fact, it can easily charge my Tesla, unlike any Tesla. It starts on battery only, switches to gasoline fairly quickly due to limited battery size. That'll be the issue with any use of an EV source for grid backup - pitiful small fuel reserve.
  • Elon Musk making liars of some dullards, per usual.

Receipts: “ Now, CEO Elon Musk has responded on Twitter saying the Cybertruck will be capable of powering a mini house”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/elon-musk-says-tesla-cybertruck-181328141.html
  • What percentage of Tesla owners would charge their car for free at a supercharger and then use the charge to power their house? I suspect that car to grid won't happen until all of the cars with free supercharging have been scrapped. Either that or cars with free supercharging will be locked out of being able to do car to grid.
  • @murphyS90D Businesses that provide free EV charging may rethink that plan if vehicle-to-home results in charger overuse/abuse.
  • Yeah idiot, a Cybertuck will be able to power a house for a couple hours before being a brick. Not gonna happen. Do the maths. It isn't hard. Of COURSE it will be able to power the house. Just not for any amount of time needed to actually get through a grid event. Once again proving fanbois will buy anything. Like trying to use an AAA battery to run a Tesla, a Cybertruck, even with a 200 kwh battery - Let's see, my home has a 55kwh generator to run its stuff....