Model S

Wanna know why I bought the Cimarron and not the Model S?

edited June 2014 in Model S
Pretty simple....I put together two orders, after researching both cars, and looked at cost. The S was going to come in north of $105K and the used 1982 Cimarron around $80 dollars. The S was a barn burner 0-60 but most urban driving is done 0-4 and the Cimarron had plenty of torque in that range if you revved it to 6000 rpm and then slammed the transmission into drive. Never worried about racing a Trabant or Model T from a light...I wanted discomfort, no handling, low mpg and something that I wasn't going to see 25 of every day. Is the S a nice car?...absolutely. Does it stretch the performance envelope for an electric car?...for sure. Would it create anxiety for me since I work in GM's used car marketing department?…unquestionably.
The Model S came in second place...pure and simple...on my little "how will it fit in my lifestyle" survey. I have had the Cimarron now for over 4 miles and I can state honestly that I am very happy with the Cimarron and its build/design, performance and price(as I compared...apples to apples).
No disrespect to all the S model members here...and yes, it is sad that GM has not supported the 1982 Cimarron with a strong marketing campaign that would have helped it gain an identity different from both the Chevy Cavalier and the Model S...but if I had it to do all over again I would still buy the Cimarron.

Comments

• edited November -1
    Oh, Olof, that is hysterically funny! Thank you for the laughs!
  • edited November -1
    Can you post a pic of you next to your sweet Cimarron?
  • edited November -1
    Olof, does it have coat hooks? If so, I'm there.
  • edited November -1
    You won't find Tesla owners on the Cimarron forums bragging about their car. Actually, you won't find anybody on a Cimarron forum.....
  • edited November -1
    Hilarious post!
  • edited November -1
    So... they <b><i><u>PAID</u></i></b> you $80, to drive away in the <b>Cadillac Cimmaron</b>, right?
  • edited November -1
    Ok I admit it, I got paid $80 to drive it and another $80 to post this :(
  • edited November -1
    Still beats a Toyota! :)
  • edited November -1
    I just dropped NKYTA off at the SC to get my concrete-crushing-titanium-plate, so I'm MS-less and needed a free grin. Thanks Olof!

:-)

I was going to post this in the DEMOGRAPHICS thread, but figured it'd be too snarky:

<i>I'm a 34 year old from Dallas Fort Worth. I drive a Cadillac ELR. I'm in Sales.</i>
  • edited November -1
    Hahaha.

Cimarron Toast Crunch™
  • RFDRFD
    edited November -1
    No.
  • edited November -1
    Brilliant irony Olaf!
  • edited November -1
    nice
  • edited November -1
    Long day at work,,,,I needed that laugh! Thanks Olaf

I will race you with either mu Vega or Pinto.....
  • jjsjjs
    edited November -1
    Olaf. I'm sorry to inform you but the 82' Cimarron was just recalled. Not just a single part, the entire car! As I recall, recalls is what GM excels at.

Thanks for the laugh.
  • edited November -1
    Laugh? I was crying....hilarious.
  • edited November -1
    I'm going to post this just once, so as not to exacerbate the situation. None of us should respond so that these posts die a quick death. That includes me :) Enough said.
  • edited November -1
    Oh wait. Maybe I don't understand comedy
  • edited November -1
    Out of curiosity, what do you think would be better for the Cimarron? Opticoat? Xpel? Both?
  • edited November -1
    Food for you.... You got what you want....
  • edited November -1
    Good for you...
  • edited November -1
    Still laughing so hard it still hurts! Where is that OP now?
  • edited November -1
    Olof - there's some great support material out there too:

An article about the Cadillac Cimarron, "one of the 50 worst cars of all time"

http://content.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658533_1658526,00.html

Thanks for bringing this up.

"The ELR - brought to you by the same folks who created the legendary Cadillac Cimarron."

Cadillac has a rich heritage of half-hearted work. This historical reminder will definitely "boost" Cadillac's street cred amongst us Tesla enthusiasts.

I think Waterboy got more than he bargained for by peeing on this garden.
  • edited November -1
    $80? Does that include tax? If yes, well hell, you've got somebody right here with his name on the seat of that '82 Cimarron.
  • edited November -1
    Mark K, thanks for the support material on my car, awesome article!