New Jersey

Anyone switch to PSEG TOU / RLM meter?

edited November -1 in New Jersey
I was wondering if anyone had switched to the time of use (residential load management) meter for their electricity through PSE&G. I've been trying to run numbers and I think it makes some sense to switch, but as the minimum commitment is 1 year, I was wondering if anyone had experience with the program.

http://www.pseg.com/info/environment/ev/rlm-rs_rates.jsp

Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• edited November -1
    Hi Rob,

I just submitted my form for the TOU meter, my electrician that did the work recommended it as well, he is also recommended by Tesla. In-Line Electric is the company, he (Giorgio Garcia) helped me with the forms and filled everything out for me. I expect them to either call me or come out soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Rolando
  • edited November -1
    Rob,

I have a spreadsheet I created to compare rates based on my usage.
    I have first installed a device (Envir) to measure consumption for about two months and gathered a baseline data.
    After that I plugged the numbers in and decided that RLM was a good idea.
    I'd be happy to share the spreadsheet but unless you have a lot of AC usage in summer, you are definitely better off with RLM.

As far as how to get PSEG to switch your contract, it was not easy but when i finally got a supervisor on the phone it was done in two days. Did not have to fill a form. A technician came and changed the meter.
  • edited November -1
    Thanks to both of you. I built a spreadsheet as well and it seems like RLM looks better in most scenarios. I had heard that it was a bit of a process to get things switched over, but if it's just a matter of talking to a few supervisors and spending some time, it seems like it's worth a shot!

Just curious - I've seen some conflicting numbers about all-in rates per KWh from PSEG. I'm currently paying 17.7c through the normal program. Do you have the on-peak/off-peak rates on hand by any chance?

@agiangone
    Envir looks interesting. Was it tough to install? I'm assuming that it gives you a breakdown based on time to make a more intelligent decision?

Thanks again
  • edited November -1
    Hi Rob,

These are the rates I got when I last checked:

RLM RS

Winter Summer Winter Summer
    0.115864 0.118379 0.1835135355 0.175619 Peak
    0.215341 0.244306 0.1835135355 0.175619 Off P

PSEG website has them hidden in a pdf somewhere but they do not change much.

The Envir was very easy to install; just open the panel and clamp the sensors to each hot. The transmission is wireless unlike TED which uses Ethernet Over Power Lines which is a bit of a pain to get right.
    The difficult part was finding a decent program to capture the data. Finally I got an open source program:
    https://code.google.com/p/measureit/w/list

Which is also capable of uploading data to pvoutput.org
    You may be able to see my feed here:
    http://pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=17733&sid=15534

Lastly, yes you get a breakdown to whatever you set it up for. It captures watts and temperature every 6 seconds for each of the two hots.

Hope this helps and if you are interested in the whole setup with a raspberrypi running as a webserver (5w consumption only) we can talk at the next meetup.
  • edited November -1
    That's great. Thanks for all the info. I'm going to spend some time and go through all of this to sense of it all but it's been incredibly helpful.
  • edited November -1
    Are you allowed to do this just because you have an EV? Or can anybody switch to this meter?

I wonder if I could do it where I live. I park in a mid rise parking garage.

Peter
  • edited November -1
    From what I understand you have to qualify for it. I just got off the phone with PSEG and the lady wasn't sure what qualifies you. I have a call into the supervisor and expect a call back from him today or tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for PSEG to install it as they have given me the run around, probably due to a few folks not knowing what the process is, so speaking to the supervisor soon should resolve my wait.

Buy the way for everyone out there... It's known as a TOU Meter which provides an RLM Rate.

Here it is from PSEG:
    http://www.pseg.com/info/environment/ev/rlm-rs_rates.jsp

PSE&G's Residential Electric Rates

What rate is right for me?

Most residential customers are billed on a Residential Service or “RS” rate. PSE&G also offers a “Time-Of-Use” or “TOU” rate known as the Residential Load Management, or “RLM” rate, which may be advantageous for EV owners to consider. By switching to the RLM rate from your normal RS rate, you may save money when you charge your vehicle on the weekend and certain hours during the week.

How does the RLM rate work?

The RLM rate varies the price of electricity between “peak” and “off-peak” hours of a day and by season (similar to peak and off-peak travel on public transportation). If you choose to switch to the RLM rate, you will pay a lower rate for the entire weekend and during off-peak hours (9:00 PM – 7:00 AM, Monday through Friday). You will pay a higher rate only during “peak” hours (7:00 AM – 9:00 PM, Monday through Friday).
    Customers on the RS rate receive the same rate regardless of the time of day.

Will my electric bill be higher or lower on the RLM rate?

Compared to your current bill, the amount of your bill on the RLM rate will be determined by the appliances you own, when you use them, and your ability to move your electricity usage to off-peak times. Since these factors are different for each customer, it is not possible to determine in advance whether your electric bill would be higher or lower on the RLM rate. However, the average PSE&G customer’s bill without an electric vehicle tends to be about the same on either the RS or RLM rate. In fact, larger than average PSE&G residential customers1 do tend to save on the RLM rate even without an electric vehicle.

If you switch to the RLM rate, your existing meter will be replaced with a TOU meter. Your minimum term of service on the RLM rate will be one year.

In order to choose the appropriate rate for you, evaluate when you plan to charge your electric vehicle, and how you use your electric intensive appliances, such as your air conditioning, washer/dryer, etc. The more you can utilize these devices off-peak, the more you can save.

The On-Peak time period is defined as the hours of 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM (EST), Monday through Friday. During Daylight Savings Time, all times will move ahead one hour (7:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM). All other hours are defined as the Off-Peak time period. Summer is defined as the months of June through September. Winter is defined as the months of October through May.

If you’re interested in switching to the RLM rate, please call 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).

1 - The average RS customer uses 7,360 kWh a year (530 kWhs in the winter months and 780 kWhs in the summer months).
  • edited November -1
    Anyone have an update on the RLM meter? Mine was installed today.
  • edited September 2017
    Did any one manage to install a second TOU meter in a high rise building. My parking spot is on the 10 floor, my condo unit on the 30 fl. PE&G say no go as the garage have to be attached or has bath room kitchen etc.
    Does any one have access to the actual regulation?
    Alternately maybe if I park a camper at the location it will satisfy the reg :-)
    PSE&G will install industrial meter and i am still waiting for rate confirmation (I hear 55 Cent/KWh).
    On a serious note; Anyone interested in forming a working group to change NJ regulation for high-rise/parking garage to force PSE&G, condo boards, parking owners and the state to get moving on EV charging.
    Yoram

PS: If any one still have issue with a local code official/inspector regarding ventilation, I have an email from NJ/Trenton code official stating that only the charging equipment require a label (no ventilation required)