Food for thought.
For fun, here a few possible news headlines
- Cost-free Fuel for north american travel arrives
- Tourism is booming with the advent of Electric cars
- Transportation costs plummet as more free fast chargers explode all around
- Community economic development - EVs leave your money in your pocket,(so you can spend it).
- City air quality closes ashma ward in local hospital
- New Limo starts all electric inter-city limo service at 35% off standard industry rates.
- Wallmart refuses to deploy superchargers in parking lots - ICE Truckers unions suspected.
- Tesla retrofits its 2,560th charging location with AIR pumps and window cleaning gear!!
- 4th US refinery to close its doors in 5 years.
- 6 coal fired hydro plants close after the shut-down of 4 US refineries.
Some of the above are just for fun, but most are in my mind likely.
Couriers, delivery drivers, lawyers, limo sedan drivers, travelling salesmen, Ride share organizations. These are some of the many jobs in our society that require the owner to pay out the cash for the cost of gasoline and maintenance on their cars and trucks. These are also some of the jobs that will benefit greatly from the advent of clean electric vehicles with free energy fillups via a huge network of charguing options. The money that used to go to the top of the food chain, to fill up and burn toxic substances only to belch and fart it into our lungs!!, now stays in the community level, and buys fridges, cars, furniture and food and insurance etc etc.
I can imagine that the cost for a limo sedan ride from one city to another in a Model 3 or S to drop like a rock without the cost of fuel that now makes the operating cost so high! The pizza driver or independent cabbie can start putting up to a thousand bucks a month more into his kids college fund or RRSP. And thats just off the top of my head.
The stats show that people drive hybrids about 2000 miles more a year, or more like 50 miles a day average, over those that drive a gas only vehicle. That suggests that people will drive more when the cost of fuel goes down. When it is free to drive cross country, I suggest that a new boom of inner-continental tourism will begin, as millions of Tesla owners, take to the open road to explore. Free supercharging will free so many people up to be more mobile, as financial restrictions to travel vapourize.
I can't begin to imagine the new business models that will spring up to take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity.
The fear that the economy will fall apart with the switch to a electric is irrational and plain baseless.
The battery and solar industries have already been growing at huge paces, and that means mfg jobs.
Mom and pop can certainly take the slack up from there with transport services, Sun-fed, battery-stored Tesla Highway and neighbourhood Stops, themed and plain.
20 years from now, on site chargers will be as common as a bathroom or running water.